Should The Streak End This Year?

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.

Should Streak End at WMXXIX

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 11

Bob-O

Should The Streak End This Year?

Post by Bob-O » Mar 13th, '13, 07:58

This has been a hot topic among the IWC for weeks now. Since the match was announced, speculation has been rampant as to whether CM Punk is the man to end The Undertaker's 20 match Undefeated Streak at Wrestlemania this year. Where do you stand?

Some things to consider as The Undertaker's career comes to a close...

-The Streak easily transcends the prestige of the WWE Heavyweight Championship. While title reigns come and go, The Streak has been alive for 23 years. The Undertaker has earned this and has defended it with great passion. As the industry changes, this is one thing that remains, one thing that makes Wrestlemania something different than the rest, something special. It's brought us some great matches, and just being on "the list" is a great honor! CM Punk will be joining a club including Jimmy Snuka, Jake Roberts, Ric Flair, Triple H, and Shawn Micheals to name a few. The Streak has become a legend itself. It's become bigger than anyone who could possibly break it. It's become bigger than The Undertaker himself. The Undertaker has spent most of his career building it, and with his final in-ring days upon us, deserves to leave the business with it intact and be remembered forever for it.

...on the other hand...

-Many argue that there's nobody capable of handling what it would mean to be the one who breaks it. It's been 5 years since we've had anyone with anything to gain even challenge for it. There wasn't anybody on that level. In today's landscape of Short Term Deals, Contract Extensions, Wellness Policy Violations, shrinking audience and the temptation of side projects they just don't make 'em like they used to. When the opportunity comes along to elevate a talent you need to take it. CM Punk's historic title reign will keep him in the record books for decades, I'm quite sure nobody will come close to that for a very very long time. But he's not 'there' yet. He looked great against The Rock, but couldn't manage to come across on the same level. For the first time in 5 years The Undertaker has a challenger that could actually benefit from defeating him. Finally, a modern day opponent that could handle the effects of ending The Streak. The Streak is something that will never happen again, and while many will argue that this is the precise reason that it must remain unbroken, others will retort that this is exactly why it needs to end.

This sort of opportunity will never come up again. If somebody, like the longest reigning champion of the modern era, is in a position to end it, why not? The Streak ends as soon as 'Taker is finished defending it. Let's say this is 'Taker's final match, the streak is dead in victory or defeat. It'll be mentioned from time to time around Wrestlemania, they'll release another DVD I'm sure, it'll be a point of mention when he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame... but the legend of it will be just that. A legend, a thing of the past, something for us to tell our grandkids about. However, if broken it can live on through CM Punk. The legend will carry on, it will remain relevant for the rest of CM PUNK'S career. It will be talked about for years to come, and it will be in good hands. Hands that will use it, hands that will expand on the legend.

I see far more to be gained from 20-1 than I do from 21-O. What do you think?

Big Red Machine

Re: Should The Streak End This Year?

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 13th, '13, 08:06

No. The Streak should never be broken. It is one of the most unique things in all of wrestling. Let it stand. Not every record needs to be broken.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

WrestlingJoker

Post by WrestlingJoker » Mar 13th, '13, 14:22

Big Red Machine wrote:No. The Streak should never be broken. It is one of the most unique things in all of wrestling. Let it stand. Not every record needs to be broken.
That's exactly how I feel.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '13, 19:21

I think i can go both sides on this. I'm not opposed to the streak ending as soon as it means something. Like Bob O said, many have come before that you just don't feel like they deserve to end it. Does CM Punk deserve it? probably not, but at least with CM Punk there is a guy that WWE can be sure that he bleeds wrestling and will not simply walk away to make movies, a guy that won't likely give them problems with wellness policy shit, a guy that is willing to take the ball and run with it. If there was ever a guy that WWE could put their trust on, it's CM Punk.

So i don't care if they break it, it's still a 20 win streak on wrestlemania, no one is gonna take that away from taker. Question is, can taker really retired with an undefeated streak? what could stop people calling him out and him not responding!?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 13th, '13, 22:27

cero2k wrote:Question is, can taker really retire with an undefeated streak? what could stop people calling him out and him not responding!?
I never thought of that.

Also, with Taker so big on respect and tradition, wouldn't it be customary for him to put somebody (Punk) over on his way out?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 13th, '13, 22:53

Bob-O wrote:
Also, with Taker so big on respect and tradition, wouldn't it be customary for him to put somebody (Punk) over on his way out?
At the same time, I can see guys like Punk or Cena or Ziggler refusing to take the win.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '13, 22:57

Bob-O wrote:
cero2k wrote:Question is, can taker really retire with an undefeated streak? what could stop people calling him out and him not responding!?
I never thought of that.

that and let's face it, Taker is not someone that will have any need to do nostalgia shows once he retires, he doesn't need that thing to brag about, he has a chance of a lifetime to actually pass a torch that means something to someone

Supposedly, Kane actually rejected ending the streak, but i have a feeling Punk would run with it.

e-moose

Post by e-moose » Mar 13th, '13, 23:39

Undertaker has to keep the streak alive. There are 2 dudez who have never challenged him @ WM b4 that would create a match that would out-hype and out-sell all the previous taker challengez, and thoze 2 dudez r the 2 dudez in this year'z (and last year'z) main event.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 14th, '13, 00:07

e-moose wrote:Undertaker has to keep the streak alive. There are 2 dudez who have never challenged him @ WM b4 that would create a match that would out-hype and out-sell all the previous taker challengez, and thoze 2 dudez r the 2 dudez in this year'z (and last year'z) main event.
There is a third guy, too: Brock Lesnar

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

e-moose

Post by e-moose » Mar 14th, '13, 00:19

Big Red Machine wrote:
e-moose wrote:Undertaker has to keep the streak alive. There are 2 dudez who have never challenged him @ WM b4 that would create a match that would out-hype and out-sell all the previous taker challengez, and thoze 2 dudez r the 2 dudez in this year'z (and last year'z) main event.
There is a third guy, too: Brock Lesnar
Good call!!! Actually my first thought upon hearing a year ago that Lesnar wuz contracted for a limited number of appearancez over one year, and then subsequently making his first appearance the day after WM 28, wuz exactly that: WrestleMania 29: Undertaker vs. Lesnar.

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Mar 14th, '13, 19:45

No. Never. It would be ridiculous to do it. Vince would never do it, and I think Undi has enough sense to not let anyone break it (not from an ego perspective but from a business perspective).

Absolutely not. Never. Nope.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 14th, '13, 19:49

yourcrapsweak wrote:No. Never. It would be ridiculous to do it. Vince would never do it, and I think Undi has enough sense to not let anyone break it (not from an ego perspective but from a business perspective).

Taker would definitely be more open to breaking it than Vince for sure. Dirt Sheet talk have it that the E has already vetod Taker on some of his choices to break the streak before

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Mar 14th, '13, 20:42

cero2k wrote:
yourcrapsweak wrote:No. Never. It would be ridiculous to do it. Vince would never do it, and I think Undi has enough sense to not let anyone break it (not from an ego perspective but from a business perspective).

Taker would definitely be more open to breaking it than Vince for sure. Dirt Sheet talk have it that the E has already vetod Taker on some of his choices to break the streak before
If that is true, then Undi is too humble.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Mar 15th, '13, 02:19

To be honest I kinda want to see it broken. I've gotten a little sick of the Undertaker as of late so it may just be me wanting to see him lose.

However I don't see it happening, you guys have all made good points about not breaking it and I must reluctantly agree.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 15th, '13, 06:07

I've gotten a little sick of the Undertaker as of late [/quote]
BLASPHEMY!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Bad Booty Daddy

Post by Big Bad Booty Daddy » Mar 26th, '13, 16:15

Big Red Machine wrote:No. The Streak should never be broken. It is one of the most unique things in all of wrestling. Let it stand. Not every record needs to be broken.
THIS!!!

This is a part of what makes Taker great. This is a key part of what makes Taker the best of the best. Hes the only guy to be Undefeated on the biggest show in the world.

The only way i can think that it may be beaten, is the fact its 21. He could have stopped at 20, but hes continued to this years WrestleMania. I feel maybe this year is could be broken but we have this same convo every Wrestlemania

I agree with Red's the streak doesnt need to be broken!!!