Your all time "Mount Rushmore" of Tag Teams

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
XIV

Your all time "Mount Rushmore" of Tag Teams

Post by XIV » Oct 6th, '22, 08:30

Today's question... Who is in your all-time tag team wrestling Mount Rushmore?

Criteria:
Must have wrestled more than a one-off tag team match.
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Re: Your all time "Mount Rushmore" of Tag Teams

Post by XIV » Oct 6th, '22, 09:03

New Age Outlaws (Road Dogg & Billy Gunn)
Hart Foundation (Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart)
The Road Warriors / Legion of Doom (Hawk & Animal)
The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Dennis Condrey managed by Jim Cornette)

Allow me to briefly explain my choices....

New Age Outlaws, the first team that really struck a chord with me when I began watching wrestling in the late 90's. Something about their charisma made them something else entirely in my young eyes. Whilst The New Outlaws weren’t known for their amazing in-ring work per se, but those short comings were more than made up for because of their connection with the crowd and that perfect pairing with DX. They are a product of a perfect storm of events, but who didn't scream "Oh you didn't know " and "Suck It" at the top of their lungs every week? 6x World Tag Team Championships and around 25 years on from their formation and I can still get lost in a New Age Outlaws watching cycle on Youtube.

The Hart Foundation, made up of Bret Hart & Jim Neidhart were only 2x tag team champions but they were able to operate both as heels & faces to amazing returns. The mixture of styles with Bret Hart being a classic Hart grappler, perfection of execution and Jim Neidhart acting as the powerhouse with big power moves. Most Hart Foundation matches flowed beautifully ending in the Hart Attack which we've all performed on unwitting cousins at a family get together right? Matches that 30+ years later, still hold up against the test of time show just how good this team was.

The Road Warriors, this team were able to operate in most places to full aplomb. Whilst their WWF runs could only be described as "luke warm" in comparison to their AWA & Japan runs and even their time in WCW. They still managed to get the crowd going with their signature "rrrrrrrrrrrrrawrrrrrrrrr what a rushhhhh" opening theme to hitting the Doomsday Device on every unwitting team. Known for working a bit stiff, they were an amazing hit of two big blokes whooping ass and leaving the crowd wanting more every time. Former NWA, WWF & IWGP Tag Team Champions showed that they were loved and over in every territory around the world.

The Midnight Express, whilst the name has been used many many times, I'm referring to the most famous iteration of Eaton, Condrey & Cornette. Winning tag team titles for fun in territories all across the US, drawing heat with manager Jim Cornette. Their blow-off matches were often main event calibre and not many tag teams can boast that. Their drawing power mixed with their ability mean that they were an exceptional tag team. Former Tag Team of the year 1986.
Have A Nice Day!

XIV

Post by XIV » Oct 8th, '22, 03:46

Just found a post of mine from 2013... which I feel fits exactly what I wrote above.
XIV wrote: Aug 20th, '13, 06:57 Hey everybody!

I would like to know your first favourite wrestler(s), not the guy(s) you think is best now or has been the best over the last 20 years, or even your favourite growing up...

I want to know who was the first character(s) that caught your imagination.

Mine was in fact a tag team. The New Age Outlaws. From their very formation, from Billy Gunn breaking away from The Honky Tonk Man they took my imagination and to this day very few WWE created tag teams have matched their chemistry. Their promos were entertaining, they worked hard, it felt like they were custom built for a role in DX. I just loved them and it's a shame their ending was a damp squib and wasn't turned into a proper feud.

But there's mine... what's yours?
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 1st, '22, 20:17

The Briscoes
The Motor City Machine Guns
The Road Warriors
The Steiners

Honorable mention to the Crush Gals and Team 3D

Big Red Machine