BOTB: Promoton Name

All Time Greatest, Worst, Sickest, Weirdest, Funniest...you get the idea.
yourcrapsweak

BOTB: Promoton Name

Post by yourcrapsweak » Dec 19th, '10, 13:46

Which promotion has the coolest name? Total Non-Stop Action? Chikara? Combat Zone Wrestling?
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

kirbs2002

Re: BOTB: Promoton Name

Post by kirbs2002 » Dec 19th, '10, 13:57

Chickfight
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 19th, '10, 16:29

I always like World Wrestling Federation because it was simple, to the point, and had an air of sports-like diginity about it.

Combat Zone Wrestling is also great.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 19th, '10, 22:52

I'm with BRM, World Wrestling Federation is great. CMLL (World Lucha Libre Council, it sounds better in spanish :grump: ) is also nice.

I too love how Dragon Gate sounds, but it does kinda feels like a video game name

BrettBirnberg
Future Endeavored

Post by BrettBirnberg » Dec 19th, '10, 23:56

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla. Sounds sweet.

Y2J
Future Endeavored

Post by Y2J » Dec 22nd, '10, 03:51

WAR, it stood for Wrestling And Romance.

Fun fact: In this company Chris Jericho wrestled Ultimo Dragon in a match where Mick Foley was in attendance. Foley was so impressed by Jericho's performance that he sent a copy of the match to Paul Heyman who would later sign Chris to work for ECW.

Lynas
Future Endeavored

Post by Lynas » Dec 22nd, '10, 06:02

World Wrestling Federation for me...

Howard Finkel... Wrestlemania saying "The following match is scheduled for one fall and it is for the World Wrestling Federation Championship" was always gold... having it said as "WWE Championship" just doesn't create that same buzz for me...

Having someone cut a promo saying "I am the World Wrestling Federation Champion" was always better than saying "I'm the champ" or "I'm the WWE Champ"

The name was just so simple, so great, so dignified (as BRM said)... and somehow seemed to add to their titles somewhat...

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 25th, '10, 23:44

Ring of Honor
Wrestling and Romance
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 26th, '10, 23:33

The Awesome One wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:Ring of Honor
Wrestling and Romance
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
I don't like the PWR name. The guerrilla bit makes me think of a actual gorilla, and therefore, the name cannot be taken seriously.
I like it bc when you actually realize that they don't mean the animal, it makes perfect sense bc it's run by the wrestlers, not a promoter or any other third party. The name suggests that the guys are doing it purely out of love for the craft and the use of the word Guerrilla implies revolution and independence, and I dig that.....

Chris Everlast

Post by Chris Everlast » Dec 27th, '10, 02:07

I like World Championship Wrestling and National Wrestling Alliance meself.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 27th, '10, 12:57

badnewzxl wrote:
The Awesome One wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:Ring of Honor
Wrestling and Romance
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla
I don't like the PWR name. The guerrilla bit makes me think of a actual gorilla, and therefore, the name cannot be taken seriously.
I like it bc when you actually realize that they don't mean the animal, it makes perfect sense bc it's run by the wrestlers, not a promoter or any other third party. The name suggests that the guys are doing it purely out of love for the craft and the use of the word Guerrilla implies revolution and independence, and I dig that.....
At the same time, the logo is a of a Gorilla, not a Guerrilla. The promotion enjoys silliness in a much more... (for lack of a better term) adult way than CHIKARA does. They chose the name to be goofy.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 27th, '10, 16:40

The Awesome One wrote:So they try to be silly but....not?
It is hard to describe. In the ring, aside form comedy, it is all serious, but the team names can be extremely funny. For example, the current tag team champions, Paul London & El Generico, are known as ¡Peligro Abejas!, which is apprently Spanish for "DANGER: BEES!"

Search for "PWG commentary moments on youtube and you'll see what I mean. Also, find a list of the names of their shows.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 27th, '10, 16:58

Big Red Machine wrote:
Search for "PWG commentary moments on youtube and you'll see what I mean. Also, find a list of the names of their shows.
and posters

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Dec 29th, '10, 05:43

Though I haven't really seen any of their stuff I like the name DGUSA but I also like WCW

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 29th, '10, 13:48

Big Red Machine wrote:At the same time, the logo is a of a Gorilla, not a Guerrilla. .
bc there is no pic of a Guerrilla; there's not a standard visual representation of Guerrillas. So they go with the pun.

But my point was that the use of the word Guerrilla implies an underground type feel; I like that. It shows that they aren't focussed on the mainstream approach to "sports ent," but more the craft of WRESTLING.....

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 29th, '10, 13:58

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:At the same time, the logo is a of a Gorilla, not a Guerrilla. .
bc there is no pic of a Guerrilla; there's not a standard visual representation of Guerrillas. So they go with the pun.

But my point was that the use of the word Guerrilla implies an underground type feel; I like that. It shows that they aren't focussed on the mainstream approach to "sports ent," but more the craft of WRESTLING.....
The craft of wrestling? This is PWG we're talking about here.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Dec 30th, '10, 01:26

Big Red Machine wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:

The craft of wrestling? This is PWG we're talking about here.
what point are you making? I'm confused.

I know they're silly and all, but they still put on great PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING MATCHES; which some times include that comedy. Ya know, the theatrics; like in stage shows and other live performances. That's how professional wrestling has always been. WWE (and often times WCW and TNA too) run their shows more like a movie or recorded show. When I see a WWE live event or an episode of RAW in person it sucks. But when I go home and watch the televised RAW that I saw in person it's def better bc they have the commentary and the camera shots the show is DESIGNED to use and tell their stories. A lot of places either try to replicate the WWE/sports ent style or ignore it completely and focus JUST on wrestling. I feel like PWG maintains the hardcore, intense wrestling places like EVOLVE, ROH, and DGUSA emphasis, while still providing a type of ent designed for pretty much EVERYONE to enjoy.

PWG is silly, but they still make sure to have AWESOME wrestling!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 1st, '11, 19:15

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:The craft of wrestling? This is PWG we're talking about here.
what point are you making? I'm confused.

I know they're silly and all, but they still put on great PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING MATCHES; which some times include that comedy. Ya know, the theatrics; like in stage shows and other live performances. That's how professional wrestling has always been. WWE (and often times WCW and TNA too) run their shows more like a movie or recorded show. When I see a WWE live event or an episode of RAW in person it sucks. But when I go home and watch the televised RAW that I saw in person it's def better bc they have the commentary and the camera shots the show is DESIGNED to use and tell their stories. A lot of places either try to replicate the WWE/sports ent style or ignore it completely and focus JUST on wrestling. I feel like PWG maintains the hardcore, intense wrestling places like EVOLVE, ROH, and DGUSA emphasis, while still providing a type of ent designed for pretty much EVERYONE to enjoy.

PWG is silly, but they still make sure to have AWESOME wrestling!
Yes, they put on good wrestling, but too much of the time PWG doesn't take itself seriously. The silliness is mostly in the naming of shows and titles, and in the announcing. It just feels awkward to me because the silliness feels like it is coming in from outside. Yes, it's funny, but it is awkward enough that it mkaes it hard for me to enjoy the wrestling. Compare that to CHIKARA, which takes itself completely seriously WITHIN it's own silliness. Without the announcing and names, PWG just seems like any other promotion. It has its presegious events (BOLA, the DDT4s, etc.), it has its characters and its great feuds (Hero vs. Tornado, Steen vs. Super Dragon, etc,). The silliness all comes from what are, for lack of a better term "non-wrestling" sources. In a company like CHIKARA (or even HUSTLE or Wreestlicious), the silliness comes from the inside out. It originates with the gimmicks and the action in the ring, and the announcers and the company therefore take that silliness seriously.

I don't think that PWG is designed for everyone to enjoy. It is designed for people with a certain sense of humor (that of its creators), the same way that CHIKARA is, and the same way that ultraviolent wrestling caters to those who enjoy it, and "pure" wrestling promotions like EVOLVE or NOAH cater to those who enjoy just that.

The companies that I think are designed for everyone to enjoy are the companies that mix a little bit of everything (ROH and TNA being the most prominent). Some companies like CHIKARA, WWE, or AAA can go WAAAAAYYYYYY overboard when it comes to the (for lack of a better word) "cartoonishness" of their angles and/or characters, while others barely touch angles at all (NOAH). Others (like Evolve now or early ROH [ :-? I wonder why?)] limit themsleves in an attempt to appeal to small niche, or to make themselves "interesting enough to check out once," and hope that they can hook you with that one show. Some companies go too far on the violence (CZW, IWA-MS, and other ultraviolent promotions), while others shy away from more extreme violence, even when they should be going there (WWE). Obviously, this appeals to osome people, but not to others, because it was designed to do so. I'm sure CZW doesn't think they will ever make a fan out of me without DRASTIC changes to their promotion which it would be assine of them to make becuase it would alienate the loyal fans that they currently have (the problem that post-2004 has had). In order for a company to appeal to everyone, it needs to find a balance.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

yourcrapsweak

Post by yourcrapsweak » Jan 2nd, '11, 02:35

Big Red Machine wrote:Yes, they put on good wrestling, but too much of the time PWG doesn't take itself seriously. The silliness is mostly in the naming of shows and titles, and in the announcing. It just feels awkward to me because the silliness feels like it is coming in from outside. Yes, it's funny, but it is awkward enough that it mkaes it hard for me to enjoy the wrestling. Compare that to CHIKARA, which takes itself completely seriously WITHIN it's own silliness. Without the announcing and names, PWG just seems like any other promotion. It has its presegious events (BOLA, the DDT4s, etc.), it has its characters and its great feuds (Hero vs. Tornado, Steen vs. Super Dragon, etc,). The silliness all comes from what are, for lack of a better term "non-wrestling" sources. In a company like CHIKARA (or even HUSTLE or Wreestlicious), the silliness comes from the inside out. It originates with the gimmicks and the action in the ring, and the announcers and the company therefore take that silliness seriously.

I don't think that PWG is designed for everyone to enjoy. It is designed for people with a certain sense of humor (that of its creators), the same way that CHIKARA is, and the same way that ultraviolent wrestling caters to those who enjoy it, and "pure" wrestling promotions like EVOLVE or NOAH cater to those who enjoy just that.

The companies that I think are designed for everyone to enjoy are the companies that mix a little bit of everything (ROH and TNA being the most prominent). Some companies like CHIKARA, WWE, or AAA can go WAAAAAYYYYYY overboard when it comes to the (for lack of a better word) "cartoonishness" of their angles and/or characters, while others barely touch angles at all (NOAH). Others (like Evolve now or early ROH [ :-? I wonder why?)] limit themsleves in an attempt to appeal to small niche, or to make themselves "interesting enough to check out once," and hope that they can hook you with that one show. Some companies go too far on the violence (CZW, IWA-MS, and other ultraviolent promotions), while others shy away from more extreme violence, even when they should be going there (WWE). Obviously, this appeals to osome people, but not to others, because it was designed to do so. I'm sure CZW doesn't think they will ever make a fan out of me without DRASTIC changes to their promotion which it would be assine of them to make becuase it would alienate the loyal fans that they currently have (the problem that post-2004 has had). In order for a company to appeal to everyone, it needs to find a balance.
While this is kinda true, I think badnewz is still right. PWG IS balanced enough to provide a little something for everybody. Have you ever watched an entire show?
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 3rd, '11, 01:48

yourcrapsweak wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Yes, they put on good wrestling, but too much of the time PWG doesn't take itself seriously. The silliness is mostly in the naming of shows and titles, and in the announcing. It just feels awkward to me because the silliness feels like it is coming in from outside. Yes, it's funny, but it is awkward enough that it mkaes it hard for me to enjoy the wrestling. Compare that to CHIKARA, which takes itself completely seriously WITHIN it's own silliness. Without the announcing and names, PWG just seems like any other promotion. It has its presegious events (BOLA, the DDT4s, etc.), it has its characters and its great feuds (Hero vs. Tornado, Steen vs. Super Dragon, etc,). The silliness all comes from what are, for lack of a better term "non-wrestling" sources. In a company like CHIKARA (or even HUSTLE or Wreestlicious), the silliness comes from the inside out. It originates with the gimmicks and the action in the ring, and the announcers and the company therefore take that silliness seriously.

While this is kinda true, I think badnewz is still right. PWG IS balanced enough to provide a little something for everybody. Have you ever watched an entire show?
No, but I have seen large chunks.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation