BRM Reviews (Most of) the 3/11/2019 Raw (hated it)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews (Most of) the 3/11/2019 Raw (hated it)

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 11th, '19, 22:27

OPENING SEGMENT- boring
The Shield come down to the ring and talk about how last night was their last match together and it was such a touching moment… and they all just so happen to be wearing brand new Shield shirts that you should all go buy.
Roman says he hasn’t “had a singles match on Raw in over five months” so he wants to have one tonight. How many times a week to you think Primo Colon uses that pitch to Vince and it never works. Roman does all of the talking even though he himself admits that Seth is the only one who has something going on right now. Their music plays and then Roman and Dean leave. If I may pick a nit, if the idea is that these guys are all “going their separate ways” then Roman and Dean should not have walked off together. Have one go up the ramp and the other go through the crowd.

Seth then started to talk but was quickly interrupted by Paul Heyman. They said a bunch I’ve stuff that I’ve heard them say a million times since Seth won the Rumble. Seth’s delivery was good and the crowd was into it, but we’re already WAY past the point where I care to hear any of this anymore. The whole “Brock didn’t have much time to prepare for” the various smaller guys Seth points out that Brock had trouble with just makes Brock look bad because the large majority of matches on Raw or SD are booked with less than a week’s notice- and most with only a few hours- so claiming he didn’t have enough time to prepare is specious.
Then again, Seth’s claim that Brock has problems with smaller guys is equally specious because Brock didn’t have more trouble with Balor (who he had two weeks to prepare for) than he did with Strowman in 2017, and Brock knew about that match well in advance.
They kept trading promos until Shelton Benjamin came out of the crowd and attacked Seth from behind. Graves noted that Shelton is on the Smackdown roster, which marks the first time someone has actually pointed out when someone from the other show just randomly shows up. We went to a commercial, and when we came back, we got…

SHELTON BENJAMIN vs. SETH ROLLINS- 6.75/10
Heyman provided guest commentary, and Michael Cole immediately set about interrogating him. I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but Cole (and others when they have done it) yelling at Heyman that Brock “didn’t show up to work… again” is ridiculous for two reasons.
1. Most importantly, Brock’s job is to show up for the dates he has agreed to show up for. That’s it. If Cole wants to be angry at someone for this he should be angry at Vince for giving Brock a contract like this.
2. We’ve seen Brock a lot more recently and/or frequently than we’ve seen some other people. When Shelton Benjamin, or the Colons, or Tyler Breeze, Tamina, or Kane, or Bray Wyatt, or Matt Hardy, or John Cena, or Nikki Bella don’t show up for months at a time, no one bats an eyelash at it. Hell, no one even seems to notice that they’re gone. So why is Cole getting so pissy when Brock doesn’t show up when at least Brock has a contract where he doesn’t have to?

Cole told us all that Shelton is a “long-time friend of Brock Lesnar’s,” which might well be the first time this fact has been mentioned since the night Heyman first introduced Team Angle over sixteen years ago.

The match was solid, but it didn’t really do anything other than fill time in the show. If they want me to think that beating Shelton Benjamin is some sort of accomplishment for Seth then maybe they should have had Shelton win a match at some point in the past eleven months.

So yeah. Seth won. Heyman admitted to paying Shelton to attack Seth, and he also said that Brock will be here next week.

Seth was celebrating but Balor came out with his music playing. Isn’t this sort of thing normally considered to be a dick move because you’re “stealing someone’s moment?” Because Seth was totally fine with it. WWE has started doing this sort of thing a lot recently right before a commercial, and not only is it annoying and kind of silly (do they think seeing Balor come out is going to be any more effective at making people stay tuned than just putting up a graphic that says “up next: Finn Balor” or something like that?), but it also winds up forcing the commentators to acknowledge the wrestlers acknowledging each other, and in WWE, that inevitably leads to announcers saying stupid and annoying things. For example, Michael Cole told us there was a “long history” between Rollins and Balor, of which Cole could only remember that they had one Universal Title match together, which happened less than three years ago.

Also, apparently Balor is defending the IC Title. Then they randomly threw Lashley’s face up on the TitanTron. Then they FINALLY put up a graphic telling us that Lashley vs. Balor for the IC Title is up next. WHY CAN’T THIS STUPID COMPANY JUST BE F*CKING NORMAL?! Show us the guy from the previous segment leaving (or cut backstage to a promo) then put up the G-d damn graphic to tell us what the next match is, then do the entrances of each guy. I shouldn’t be wondering why Balor is coming out, then have them tell me he’s defending the title, leaving me wondering who he’s defending the title against, then wonder why Lashley’s face is in on the TitanTron if he’s supposed to be coming out for a match against Balor now, and only then show me a graphic.

WWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH: Finn Balor(c) vs. Bobby Lashley- 5.75/10
Lashley worked over Balor’s midsection for a while. Balor made a comeback and went up for the Coup de Grace but Lio Rush distracted him by coming out and ringing the ring bell and then posing with the IC Title. Some stuff happened, including Balor kicking Rush, all leading to Lashley countering a springboard move with a spear to win the title back. Another f*ck finish, and this damn feud will keep going.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS BARON CORBIN- ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
So they finally showed footage of Baron Corbin’s supposedly terrible comments about Roman Reigns… and it turns out that Corbin was COMPLETELY CORRECT when he claimed that Charly had taken his words out of context! What he actually said was “personally, I wish Roman Reigns all the best in his battle with leukemia. But professionally, if he comes back, I hope it’s not to Raw.”
That is a FAR F*CKING CRY from they’ve been telling us he said, which was “I hope Roman Reigns never comes back.” Compare that to Dean Ambrose saying that Roman deserved to get cancer. What’s worse is that this is not the first time that the company has tried to portray Corbin as the root of all evil. Remember when the McMahons came back and blamed Corbin for the show sucking? Well shouldn’t Steph be getting at least some the blame for being a bad supervisor and letting him book the show into the ground for three months? And now they’re trying to portray Corbin as if he’s the Ultimate Warrior to Roman’s Bobby Heenan, while Dean Ambrose gets a free pass for ACTUALLY SAYING THOSE THINGS! Is the storyline here that the company is out to use Corbin as a scapegoat for any mistakes someone makes? Because that’s what it feels like. I never ever thought I’d say this from a kayfabe point of view, but I actually feel bad for Baron Corbin. That’s how incompetent these morons are!
Of course, instead of addressing this, Corbin owns up to the sentiment of the statements that he didn’t actually make. WHAT THE F*CK?! He then cut a meh promo on Roman.

FAKE CHAMPION RONDA ROUSEY CUTS A FAKE PROMO EXPLAINING WHY SHE FAKE ATTACKED BECKY LYNCH TO MAKE BECKY WIN HER FAKE MATCH TO ENSURE THAT BECKY IS ADDED TO ANOTHER FAKE MATCH FOR THE FAKE TITLE AT WRESTLEMANIA- very bad
One week after turning heel, Ronda comes out… and now everyone is cheering for her. She then stood there in the ring for over a minute and said nothing while the video package that Cole pitched to played in order to get us all up to speed on what happened last night at Fastlane. Why didn’t you just play the video package BEFORE Ronda came out so that she didn’t have to stand around for a minute not doing anything?
Ronda said she made Becky win by DQ last night so that she could “expose WWE as the carny con-artists they always have been.” I’m not really sure why she needs a WrestleMania match against both Charlotte and Becky in order to do that, but whatever floats your boat, crazy lady. Ronda went on to cut what was otherwise a great heel promo, aside from the aforementioned line and her closing line that “anyone who believes in this whole charade is a joke.”
The reasons that trying to do an angle that breaks kayfabe is a bad idea have been talked about many other places in the past few days and I’m sure I’ll have the opportunity to talk about them many times over the next few weeks, so I’m going to look at the two statements I quoted from Ronda here tonight and show why this whole thing is still bad even if we ignore all of that.
Ronda said she wants to “expose WWE as the carny con-artists they always have been” and said that “anyone who believes in this whole charade is a joke.” Did Ronda not know the business was a work when she signed her WWE contract? Because that’s what this made it seem like. Otherwise, if she knew they were “carny con-artists” then why did she gleefully sign up to work for them?
And if I’m supposed to now buy into the idea that WWE is all a “charade” then isn’t Ronda Rousey a hero for exposing this match-fixing scam? WWE is so intent on doing this shoot angle and yet they still haven’t put in the thought required to make sure things make sense in a vacuum.
Also, because I’m me and I can’t help it, if this is supposed to be a shoot, why didn’t they cut Ronda’s mic off after she said she was going to “expose WWE as the carny con-artists they always have been?” Whenever they want us to think something is a shoot, one of the ways they try to push it is to cut someone’s mic off (most famously with Punk, but it has happened with others, too), and the reason they do that is because it makes sense. So why didn’t they do that here? During his appearance on Guest Booker, Jim Cornette explained that the way to do a worked shoot correctly is to “think shoot, but work.” In other words, you ask yourself what would happen if this was actually happening for real, and then you make your plan doing exactly that. WWE here is talking shoot but still thinking work.

DANA BROOKE COMES OUT TO CONFRONT RONDA ROUSEY- More evidence that these people have no idea what they’re doing.
Yeah. Dana Brooke. Not third-generation Superstar Natalya. Did they hand the script to the wrong pink-and-black-clad blonde?
Dana says that she is out here to stand up for WWE because she loves WWE and won’t let Ronda disrespect “the WWE Universe.” Because that’s definitely a term someone would make sure to use if this were real. She is also upset that Ronda has now disrespected the women’s locker room. Why did this have to be a gender thing? I don’t recall Ronda saying that the women were workers but the men’s matches were all shoots. The male wrestlers should be just as offended as the female wrestlers. But this is heavy-handed WWE, and if we go five minutes without mentioning women all banding together to be Trailbalzers™ for the Women’s Evolution™ then people might forget that we’re totally with the times and progressive and stuff (and please don’t remember that we take a lot of money from the Saudis to put on shows for them that women and gays and people from countries they don’t like aren’t allowed to wrestle on).
Dana’s promo got worse and worse. She buried herself as a jobber who doesn’t even get to wrestle on the show most weeks and definitely not any sort of star as compared to Ronda, who she said was a “household name.” She notes that she’s not a “big-time fighter” but she wants to stand up for everyone and prove herself so she asks Ronda to pretty please issue her usual post-PPV open challenge.
Ronda responded by taking off her jacket and then kicking Dana in the stomach and beating her up. Was this supposed to be Ronda shoot beating Dana up? Because her shoot beating Dana up didn’t look any different from her worked beating people up. She also used her Twisting Samoan Drop, which is definitely a shoot maneuver. She was deciding whether or not break Dana’s arm when a bunch of referees came out to stop her. Because that’s definitely what would happen if someone went out on TV and cut a shoot promo burying the company and exposing the business and then started to shoot beat one of the boys/girls up. They’d definitely send out the referees like they do for all works, not have the whole locker room charging out to kick Ronda’s ass.
Ronda decided not to break Dana’s arm because… the fans wanted to see it? That’s how Graves framed it, anyway. What she said was “pay $60 and I’ll show you want a real armbar looks like.” Is she doing seminars or something? Because as we all know, WrestleMania is available on the WWE Network for $9.99, and as the announcers always tell us, “the first month is free.” Does Ronda not know any of this?
Anyway, Ronda slapped a referee, then grabbed her jacket and title, then left. WWE responded to what I assume is supposed to be a shoot assault on one of their employees (if it’s not a shoot then Ronda is still knowingly part of that “carny con-artist” system that she vowed to expose) by putting up a graphic to hype up the assailant’s WrestleMania match.

In need of a segue from Ronda, through Roman vs. Corbin, to Batista ruining Flair’s birthday party, Cole said that all three of them were “tasteless.” So in Cole’s mind, telling someone you hope their debilitating illness prevents them from making a living is just as bad as exposing the wrestling business (he said Ronda’s “words” were tasteless; he never mentioned her actions) and beating up an old man so he can’t go on TV and play a fake character for his adoring public on his birthday are all in the same category. Yes, really.
Then again, that assumes that Dave really ever did beat Flair up. Didn’t Ronda say this was all a carny con-artist scam?

ALEISTER BLACK & RICOCHET vs. BOBBY ROODE & CHAD GABLE- 5.75/10
The new story is that “there are many Superstars™ both on Raw and on Smackdown that are upset” because they think the “NXT upstarts” Black & Ricochet are getting opportunities they don’t deserve. Have anyone actually ever been showing expressing this opinion other than that one offhanded comment by Roode & Gable to Ciampa & Gargano their first night on the main roster?
Cole also told us that whoever wins here would probably be in line for a future title shot. These teams just lost a title match last night. Heavy Machinery beat three teams in one night last week. Shouldn’t they be next in line for a title shot? Or maybe it will just be Black & Ricochet again, as they got the clean win here. The match was good for the time they were given.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- The Revival attacked Black & Ricochet on their way up the ramp. Whatever. I don’t even care at this point. It’s just stuff happening in a feud I feel like I’ve been watching forever already even though it has been at most a month. Can we maybe use some of the other teams for something at some point so I’m not watching the same three teams interact with each other every single week? It’s like there are actually two tag team divisions on Raw: one for the jobbers and one for the real contenders.

ALEXA BLISS! REVEALS WHO WILL BE THE GUEST HOST OF WRESTLEMANIA- Why does WrestleMania need a “host” of any sort, never mind someone from outside the company? Isn’t hosting the show essentially what the announcers do? Or the perhaps the ring announcers, who are the ones telling us what match we’re about to see happen and introducing all of the wrestlers and making the official announcements?
Alexa talks the host up as being a big deal. The host is going to be Alexa herself. Which means she’s not wrestling. Again. Is she injured? If she’s not then why is she not wrestling, and if she is then is there really any reason why you can’t just f*cking tell us?! At this point we’ve got Dana Brooke pointing out that she rarely gets on TV and now we’ve got Alexa, who one assumes would like to be wrestling forced to do the completely pointless job of hosting a show that needs no host, and why the hell do you keep wasting her time by making her host a talk show and booking The Drifter to sing songs instead of booking her against Dana Brooke?
Alexa tried cut a fake, insincere heel promo but everyone reacted to her like she was a huge babyface, including Renee Young.
Cole told us that the SNL losers from last week will be “special correspondents” at WrestleMania. I will bet you anything that between any pointless segments Alexa is involved in and any segments these guys are involved in, this crap will wind up adding a solid HOUR to an already way too long show.
This segued into last week’s skit where Colin Jost asked Strowman if wrestling was fake ,so Strowman went all Dr. D on him. And this week they had Ronda Rousey come out and TV and say Colin was right and this is all fake.
They showed their usual slideshow of “LOOK AT ALL OF THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA COVERAGE WE GOT FOR THIS THING WE DID! You’re totally not weird for watching wrestling because we got some mainstream outlets to cover it. SEE?”

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS BRAUN STROWMAN- bad
Charly asks Braun if he really thought Colin’s question was a legitimate justification to “jack the guy up by his neck.” She emphasized to Braun that beating up guests is wrong, and asked him if he “realized” that Jost and Che would be special guest correspondents at WrestleMania. Braun responded by saying “If Roman Reigns can try to murder me with a truck because he got upset I beat him in an Ambulance Match then why can’t I choke out some disrespectful punk?”
Just kidding. He simply said he didn’t care. Then some dork told Braun that his car was ready for him, to which Braun responded “what car?” and we faded to a commercial. When we came back, it turns out the whole cast of SNL got together and bought Braun a car. This just goes to show you, kids: If you’re going to pick on someone, make sure it’s a wimpy rich person so that he/she will buy you presents in the hopes that you won’t hurt him/her again.
Also, we were reminded about Braun destroying Vince’s limo and thus having his Universal Title shot taken away from him, which is something Braun seems to have completely forgotten about as well.
Braun then smashed the car because he thought the car was too small for him. He ordered the gofer who told him about the car to give the door to Colin Jost and Michael Che along with a threat that he would come to New York to beat them up. He clearly couldn’t have meant that he would beat them up at WrestleMania because WrestleMania is in New Jersey, not New York.
Anyway, why is this happening? Breaking a car won’t get Braun any more over, as he does that at least once every quarter. It also seems to indicate that instead of wrestling a match at WrestleMania, Braun will be interacting with two non-wrestling goofballs. Maybe I’m not remembering right, but don’t the top wrestlers usually have big matches at WrestleMania instead of interacting with goofballs? And how much do you think they spent on this car, just to destroy it for a completely unnecessary angle? That’s straight out of WCW.

THE DRIFTER SINGS- He makes fun of the city of the week before getting interrupted by No Way Jose. Jose and his people dance down to the ring… and The Drifter nails Jose with a baseball slide and beats him up like the geek he is.

HARLEM HEAT ARE GOING INTO THE HALL OF FAME- So the two-time inductees are now Flair, Shawn, and Booker T? Or am I missing someone?

LACEY EVANS SHOWS UP- She changes things up this time by walking over to the announcers’ table and back instead of walking down the ramp and back. She stuck a paper fan in Renee’s face, then turned around. She was confronted by Nia Jax and Tamina, but they decided she wasn’t worth the effort to beat up and just headed down to the ring.

NATALYA (w/Beth Phoenix) vs. NIA JAX (w/Tamina)- no rating, frustrating segment
Beth wasn’t even out one night after the heinous assault by the two Samoans. Is it really that hard to do this sh*t right? You have Nattie cut a promo this week making a challenge for a match next week. Have Tamina run in for the DQ next week and have them beating Nattie up when Beth runs out with a chair to chase the heels off. Week three you do your challenge and acceptance promos, and the final week you do some sort of go-home segment with Beth standing tall.
But instead we’re going to do to the same sh*t WWE always does, which is rush the whole thing, then announce the match, then tread water for three weeks by doing pretty much the same thing and wearing the match-up out long before the PPV.

The match didn’t go much longer than thirty seconds. The first time Tamina tried to cheat, Beth just ran in the ring and attacked Nia for the DQ. The heels were sent scurrying, but once they got to the back they were attacked by Sasha Banks & Bayley as revenge for last night’s post-match attack. Unfortunately, this makes think we’re going to be getting a multi-team match at Mania instead of giving Beth’s return the solo-spotlight it deserves, and keeping the women’s tag champs in a feud with a team they’ve beaten in title matches twice already (for titles that are less than a month old).

HUNTER WANTS TO FIGHT BATISTA- meh
We were shown Batista arriving at the arena, then Hunter came out to the ring in his leather jacket and with his fists all taped up.
Okay… it’s really bothering me that Dave’s Twitter handle uses his shoot name, which has a U in it while his ring name doesn’t. Either don’t show his Twitter handle or change his ring name.
Dave is dressed in a fancy robe and has legions of personal security. Dave tells Hunter to “give me what I want.” Hunter won’t do it because Dave has quit WWE in the past. So what? It’s pro wrestling, and he just wants one match at WrestleMania. He even beat up his old mentor to get your attention. I think it’s a pretty good bet he’s not going to no-show on you.
They yell a lot back and forth before Hunter finally just gives in and gives Dave his match at WrestleMania. Dave says he’ll end Hunter’s career at WrestleMania in what almost felt like a throw-away line. Hunter makes the match No Holds Barred.
This was a segment way too much shouting. Hunter in particular was way too over the top. He felt like he was yelling for the sake of yelling.

At this point they told us that “Kurt Angle addresses his future,” and that this would be happening next. Unless I missed it, this was the very first time they had even mentioned that Kurt was in the building tonight.

KURT ANGLE PROMO- He’s retiring at WrestleMania.
Oh. Also, he’s wrestling tonight against Apollo Crews. This was not hyped up until the moment before it happened, either.

APOLLO CREWS vs. KURT ANGLE- 4/10
Cruise jobbed to the retiring wrestler in a short match. When you realize that Kurt has lost to pretty much everyone else he has faced since coming back, this makes Crews look really bad.

ROMAN REIGNS vs. BARON CORBIN- never took place.
Drew McIntyre assaulted Roman before the match, because why should any feud ever f*cking end on this show?
Neither of Roman’s “brothers” in The Shield came out to help Roman, nor did anyone else. Seth eventually showed up after Drew left. Doctors and referees check on Roman and take him to the back.
Roman went backstage with Seth. Then we went to a commercial and Seth and Dean convinced Roman to get his injuries looked at Dean. Then then bumped into Hunter and said he wanted a Falls Count Anywhere Match against Drew right now, so Hunter booked it. And yes. They did, in fact, promote Roman’s first match on Raw since returning from being out with cancer just to get his fans to stick around until the end of the show, then bait-and-switched the match away. Also, if you’ll all check your mailboxes, you’ll find that Vince mailed each and every one of you a stink-bomb. That’s what you get for watching WWE programming. They punish you. F*ck this company.
You know what? F*ck it. I’m not watching the main event. I’ve got New Japan and wXw to watch. I don’t need to waste time watching Dean Ambrose job to Drew McIntyre in a no DQs match. I just saw that two weeks ago. And I saw Drew beat Dean cleanly the week before that, too.

This was a terrible episode of Raw, and a completely draining one. It was one of those that made me wonder why I spend so much time watching this stupid show every week.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews (Most of) the 3/11/2019 Raw (hated it)

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 12th, '19, 08:00

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 11th, '19, 22:27
It was one of those that made me wonder why I spend so much time watching this stupid show every week.
I've been telling you not to watch for the last 2 1/2 years. It makes me wonder when you'll start listening to me.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 12th, '19, 08:03

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 11th, '19, 22:27 It was one of those that made me wonder why I spend so much time watching this stupid show every week.
You do it so I don't have to!

I really appreciate it.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 12th, '19, 08:07

Bob-O wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 08:03
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 11th, '19, 22:27 It was one of those that made me wonder why I spend so much time watching this stupid show every week.

I really appreciate it.
I mean, I do too, but also can name three major websites off the top of my head that do reviews. This is a burden that doesn't rest exclusively with BRM
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 12th, '19, 08:37

NWK2000 wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 08:07
Bob-O wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 08:03

I really appreciate it.
I mean, I do too, but also can name three major websites off the top of my head that do reviews. This is a burden that doesn't rest exclusively with BRM
I know, but the man has reached Gordon Solie status with me. BRM Reviews are a way of life now.

XIV

Post by XIV » Mar 12th, '19, 10:10

WWE decides to use Shelton Benjamin for the first time in ages...

Is it to give Kurt Angle his final match in Pittsburgh? No. It’s to throw him away during another part of the show.

Angle vs Benjamin is something many people would have popped for, it would have been a feelgood moment for Kurt and it doesn’t hurt anyone if Angle goes over.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 12th, '19, 10:22

XIV wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 10:10 WWE decides to use Shelton Benjamin for the first time in ages...

Is it to give Kurt Angle his final match in Pittsburgh? No. It’s to throw him away during another part of the show.

Angle vs Benjamin is something many people would have popped for, it would have been a feelgood moment for Kurt and it doesn’t hurt anyone if Angle goes over.
This.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 12th, '19, 10:27

NWK2000 wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 08:00
It was one of those that made me wonder why I spend so much time watching this stupid show every week.
I've been telling you not to watch for the last 2 1/2 years. It makes me wonder when you'll start listening to me.
I need SOMEONE to talk to about wrestling that’s not my mom, don’t go turning him off it!!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 12th, '19, 13:07

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 10:27
I need SOMEONE to talk to about wrestling that’s not my mom, don’t go turning him off it!!
He's not the only one here!
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 12th, '19, 21:11

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 13:07

Yeah, but he's one of two guys that routinely engage in meaningful discourse with me about wrestling! :P

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 12th, '19, 21:40

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 21:11
KILLdozer wrote: Mar 12th, '19, 13:07

Yeah, but he's one of two guys that routinely engage in meaningful discourse with me about wrestling! :P
Right...I'm the other one!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 13th, '19, 09:37

Still haven't watched this.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 13th, '19, 10:19

I keep thinking this whole time...years ago when heel Seth Rollins with The Authority cashed in the WM Main event and won from Reigns and Lesnar...who did he actually pin? If it was Lesnar that seems like a giant plothole with all of this.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '19, 11:10

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 13th, '19, 10:19 I keep thinking this whole time...years ago when heel Seth Rollins with The Authority cashed in the WM Main event and won from Reigns and Lesnar...who did he actually pin? If it was Lesnar that seems like a giant plothole with all of this.
he pinned Reigns after a curb stomp i think.

the actual plothole is that Rollins said that Lensar always has trouble with smaller guys bringing up Dragon and Balor, so that's why he has a chance. Completely ignoring that Lesnar won those matches and the ones he actually has trouble with (as in actually losing the match), were all big dudes like Cena, Trips, or Taker.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 13th, '19, 11:41

Didn't we already do McIntyre V The Shield? Or was that last year so it doesn't count anymore?

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '19, 12:33

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 13th, '19, 11:41 Didn't we already do McIntyre V The Shield? Or was that last year so it doesn't count anymore?
i'm still waiting for the SHIELD reunion vs 3MB reunion

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 13th, '19, 13:10

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 13th, '19, 11:41 Didn't we already do McIntyre V The Shield? Or was that last year so it doesn't count anymore?
Yes we did, which is yet another reason why this is a bad idea.

They've f*cked up with Drew SOOOOO badly. Rollins is such a bad choice to be the guy who finally takes Brock down. He's already a multi-time world champion. Beating Brock doesn't really get him anything because people don't care about Brock that much anymore, and the fact that everyone knows this was supposed to be Roman's spot makes Seth feel like a lazy replacement. Maybe Balor could have worked if they started building him right away, but Drew was the guy in the position to make the most impact. He had been very protected up until that point and hadn't won any sort of singles accolade since his return to the main roster- or even been in position to win one, meaning he hadn't failed in a chance to win one, either. The fact that they would have had to turn him babyface in the aftermath of Roman vacating the title (and the slower the burn they used for the full turn, the better) meant that he would clearly be "the new plan" (i.e. something they put thought into) rather than feeling like they took the guy most similar to Roman and stuck him in Roman's spot as a placeholder. That fact that he hadn't won anything before would make him winning the Rumble and then taking the title from Brock his first major accomplishments and he would still be on the same upward stream of momentum he was from the moment he got called up from NXT. He would have been a new top face in the company, making it feel like an actual new era, rather than the same guys all over again.
Give him the belt for a f*cking year and maybe slowly turn him heel in the winter of 2020 leading into WrestleMania. Drew vs. Roman should be the WrestleMania main event they build to for next year, not a random undercard match on this year's show where losing will only hurt Drew and solidify him as just another midcarder, just like Dolph, Balor, Ambrose,, Andrade, Jeff Hardy, Rey, and even Rollins, Braun, and Joe have become.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 13th, '19, 13:57

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 13th, '19, 13:10
Yes we did, which is yet another reason why this is a bad idea.

They've f*cked up with Drew SOOOOO badly. Rollins is such a bad choice to be the guy who finally takes Brock down. He's already a multi-time world champion. Beating Brock doesn't really get him anything because people don't care about Brock that much anymore, and the fact that everyone knows this was supposed to be Roman's spot makes Seth feel like a lazy replacement. Maybe Balor could have worked if they started building him right away, but Drew was the guy in the position to make the most impact. He had been very protected up until that point and hadn't won any sort of singles accolade since his return to the main roster- or even been in position to win one, meaning he hadn't failed in a chance to win one, either. The fact that they would have had to turn him babyface in the aftermath of Roman vacating the title (and the slower the burn they used for the full turn, the better) meant that he would clearly be "the new plan" (i.e. something they put thought into) rather than feeling like they took the guy most similar to Roman and stuck him in Roman's spot as a placeholder. That fact that he hadn't won anything before would make him winning the Rumble and then taking the title from Brock his first major accomplishments and he would still be on the same upward stream of momentum he was from the moment he got called up from NXT. He would have been a new top face in the company, making it feel like an actual new era, rather than the same guys all over again.
Give him the belt for a f*cking year and maybe slowly turn him heel in the winter of 2020 leading into WrestleMania. Drew vs. Roman should be the WrestleMania main event they build to for next year, not a random undercard match on this year's show where losing will only hurt Drew and solidify him as just another midcarder, just like Dolph, Balor, Ambrose,, Andrade, Jeff Hardy, Rey, and even Rollins, Braun, and Joe have become.
It’s really sad when you look at the embarrassment of riches the WWE has in their undercard and what they’re doing with them...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 13th, '19, 14:27

That Batista and Triple H thing was so ridiculous it was funny. "YOU GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!" "NO! GET IN THIS RING DUDE!!!!"""

"GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!!!"

"NO! GET IN THIS RING DUDE!!!!"

*repeat 10 times over and over again.*