BRM Reviews the 7/8/2019 Raw (ONE OF THE WORST EVER!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/8/2019 Raw (ONE OF THE WORST EVER!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 8th, '19, 22:11

They start up the show by hyping up a match later tonight where Shane McMahon & Drew McIntyre will take on Roman Reigns (wildcard #1) and a partner of Shane’s choosing. In other words “everyone tune in to see the babyface get a gang-beating.” Yeah. I’m sure that will encourage people to stick around.

MIXED TAG TEAM ELIMINATOR MATCH: Seth Rollins & Becky Lynch vs. Andrade “Cien” Almas & Zelina Vega- 4/10
Vega and Almas are wildcard #2, or possibly 2 and 3.
It appears that all they can think of to do with Seth and Becky to build up to their mixed tag at the PPV is to stick them in random mixed tags on TV. This one is also randomly an elimination match. How much do you want to bet that they cut to a commercial and do a rest period in between falls to avoid having any wrestling during the even though they’ve never had a rest period between falls in an elimination match before?
And here’s a question for you: If, as Michael Cole said, we are only allowed to have “the men face the men and the women face the women,” what are you going to do if Becky beats Vega but then Andrade beats Seth? THIS IS SOOOOOOO DUMB.
And what’s even worse than that is how painfully transparent it is. The reasoning behind this silly “no wrestling during commercials” directive is that real sports don’t have action during the commercials and thus not having any action during the commercials will make WWE feel more real. And yet the way in which they have chosen to achieve this goal (all of the restarts and post-match angles leading to another match and gimmick matches they feel like they can insert a rest period into) are so forced that they make the show feel like it has been chopped up into little pieces specifically designed to fit between commercial, making the whole thing feel less real instead of more real.
And yeah. Exactly what I predicted happened. Becky made Vega tap out, and then we headed to a rest period between falls even though we’ve never had one before in an elimination match. Also, AFTER Becky had already eliminated Vega, Lacey Evans showed up in the crowd for no reason. Becky then went to fight her for no reason, and Seth tried to stop her, also seemingly for no reason.
After the break, Becky just had to stand there on the apron. What if Seth tagged her in? What would happen?
They did a spot where Becky accidentally got bumped to try to show that Seth checking on her could cost him the match but he won anyway so the point was moot. Between the elimination stipulation and the lack of no DQs stip like we’ll see at the PPV, this didn’t even serve to hype up the PPV by giving us a taste of the gimmick match we’ll get. This whole thing was dumb and never should have made it on the air.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- snore
Corbin attacked Rollins from behind on the stage. Becky went after Corbin but Lacey showed up and knocked her out with the big punch. This was a completely pathetic go-home segment for the likely main event of your PPV.

BARON CORBIN & LACEY EVANS BACKSTAGE PROMO- bad
Even though we saw Heyman walking down the ramp before the commercial, we come back with a recap and then this. They cut a bad, hackneyed promo trying to convince us that Seth and Becky caring about each other would be their downfall, even though that didn’t even lead to their downfall in the previous segment. It was the attacks from behind that did them in.

PAUL HEYMAN PROMO- pointless
He tells us that Brock will cash in at Extreme Rules, using the “that’s not a prediction; that’s a spoiler” line. Then he proceeded to explain to us how he has built up a lot of credibility with that line, so that if he wanted to use it to fool people right now, he could do so. Thanks for the booking lesson, Paul, but on principle I think it’s never a good idea for the magician to stand in front of the crowd and tell them “sometimes I use the big flourishing movements of my cape to draw your eyes away from something I don’t want you to be looking at.” Even if the purpose of this trick is to use that to misdirect the audience’s attention, it’s still something that you probably don’t want to plant in their minds because they might remember it during future tricks.
The kayfabe question I have coming out of this how it benefits Paul Heyman to say any of this. He tried to claim that he is screwing with Seth and Kofi’s heads, but even if he is screwing with their heads, how does that help him? If Brock really is going to show up, just putting the thought in their minds blows the element of surprise. I guess he could establish a long series of crying wolf without having Brock show up to get them to let their guard down, but wouldn’t it just be easier to not say anything, then have Brock hide at the arena and jump whichever champion after his match? Heyman already cup a promo a few weeks ago saying that Brock may or may not be at every show from now on, waiting to cash in MITB.

Just in case you actually thought last week’s big angle was going to be a major injury angle to write Braun off for a significant length of time, Michael Cole announces Bobby Lashley vs. Braun Strowman in a last man standing match at the PPV.

Before the commercial break we saw Miz heading out to the ring for a match, but of course when we come back we get...
SHANE MCMAHON & DREW MCINTYRE TALK TO A GARGABE MAN- They want him to be Roman’s partner for tonight.

2 OUT OF 3 FALLS MATCH: The Miz & The Usos vs. The Revival & “The Drifter” Elias Sampson- 3.75/10
Miz entered before the commercial break, then, apparently during the commercial and the Shane/Drew/garbage man segment, all three heels got their entrances, and then the Usos came out, seemingly just to make me punch a hole in my wall.
On their way to the ring the Usos cut a promo to hype up their tag title shot at The Revival at the PPV. Renee Young told us that The Revival have been “wearing $400 sunglasses and spending thousands of dollars at Starbucks” since becoming the tag champs rather than focusing on defending their titles. Did a miss a series of vignette where The Revival turned into goofs, or is Renee just pulling this out of nowhere or talking about something from social media (which is the same as pulling it out of nowhere if you don’t show it to us on TV.
Revival pinned Jimmy after a Shatter Machine to win the first fall in three minutes, because having the challengers get pinned cleanly by the champions in three minutes is definitely a good way to build up a title match. Cue predictable commercial break.
After the commercial break we learn it’s even worse, as Elias walked out on his partners because he didn’t want to fight Miz anymore, so now the heels are wrestling at a disadvantage. Not only did the babyfaces use this advantage to win, but while the babyfaces got an entire 3:30 commercial break to recover after losing the first fall, the heels got mere seconds after the second fall (you know... because there was no commercial break) and the babyfaces attacked them during this time. The babyfaces then won a horribly tainted victory when the Usos got the earlier pin back on The Revival, making them even because it was Miz who won the first fall for their team. Completely sh*tty booking.

DUMB DRAKE MAVERICK CRAP- It’s the exact same joke (Maverick is happier to be 24/7 Champion than to be with his wife, much to her annoyance) over and over and over and over again. She really should just dump him.
Dumb stuff happened backstage. He vowed that after tonight’s show he would show her what a great husband he was and also what a great 24/7 Champion he is. She fell for it again. She suggests that they could consummate their marriage at that point, which caused Drake to shout in joy. This shout drew the attention of the gaggle, who happened to be nearby and chased after Drake. Of course, because WWE doesn’t think things through, the referee is in the gaggle and not with the champion, which would make a lot more sense. Also, it would avoid the visual of these great athletes that are the WWE Superstars™ running after the champion at supposedly top speed and yet this little referee is able to keep up with them with no problem.

DREW & SHANE TRY TO RECRUIT THE BEER GUY- dumb
Why are they looking at these dorks to be Roman’s partner. Why not just ask some heel to do it so they can beat Roman up three-on-one?
Also, FIFTEEN DOLLARS FOR A CUP OF BEER?! Are you f*cking kidding me? A mixed drink at Madison Square Garden is cheap than that!

REY MYSTERIO JR. ISSUES AN OPEN CHALLENGE- It results in...
REY MYSTERIO JR. vs. BOBBY LASHLEY- no rating, terrible segment.
Both Rey and the announcers had emphasized that Rey is totally recovered and at 100%. And he lost in under a minute to a guy who almost got blown up last week and the announcers told us almost certainly wasn’t at 100%. And that is ignoring the fact that Rey jumped the bell on Lashley. And Lashley beat Rey up after the match, just because. Basically, Rey got completely buried here.
Lashley teased throwing Rey into the LED board but instead threw him onto the referee that came out to stop him. Lashley then cut a promo to build up to his PPV match with Strowman. It was a two-line promo and he managed to flub the first one.

CHARLY CARUSO INTERVIEWS THE CLUB- They tell her to f*ck off

CESARO vs. NO WAY JOSE (w/his Conga line)- squash
Cesaro has new music. Cole informs us that Cesaro is called both “the Swiss Superman” and “the Swiss cyborg.” I think I’ll combine the two and refer to him as “the Swiss Hank Henshaw.”
The Conga line ran away from Cesaro, as they should. This was supposed to lead to Jose diving through the ropes onto Cesaro but he got caught up in them. And I don’t just mean his feet. He tried to do some sort of sideways tope and bounced right off of the ropes, at which point Cesaro basically just pulled him out of the ring and set gave Jose a reversal spot to punch him. Once the actual match started, Cesaro beat the s*t out of Jose and squashed him like a bug.

THE STREET PROFITS HYPE UP ROMAN REIGNS’ MATCH AT THE PPV- Yeah. This is what they’re doing with the Street Profits on the main roster. F*ck this company.

THE KANELLISES BACKSTAGE- Mike tries to apologize to Maria with food she likes but she gets offended because he bought her low-fat ice cream. This was no fun to watch.

NIKKI CROSS & BAYLEY SPLIT SCREEN INTERVIEW- This was the same segment we’ve been getting for weeks with a female babyface telling Nikki that Alexa is using her but Nikki won’t listen. Nikki was actually pretty great here.
These two will be involved in a beat the clock challenge tonight where if Bayley wins she gets to pick the stipulations of her title defense at Extreme Rules against Alexa Bliss!, but if Nikki wins then Alexa gets to pick the stip. Cole told them that Nikki would face Dana Brooke and Bayley would face Sarah Logan. Bayley cut a dull promo in which she referred to Logan as a “former member of the Riott Squad.” Did they break-up off-screen? Nikki Cross cut an excellent babyface promo about her match with Dana. Nikki Cross’ promo skills have been BY FAR the best thing on this show so far.

R-TRUTH AND CARMELLA WERE DUMB BACKSTAGE- The gaggle ran by. Truth ran off after them, giving Carmella a piggy back ride for no reason.

THE VIKING RAIDERS vs. COLIN JUSTIN & DEVIN JUSTIN- DUD!
I’m tired of these guys wrestling squashes and going nowhere. They’ve been on the main roster for three months now.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- pointless
The gaggle ran by ringside and Truth got in the ring with the War Raiders. Nothing happened.

CHARLY CARSUO INTERVIEWS ROMAN REIGNS- Roman said nothing of note. There was a weird rattling noise in the background.

RICOCHET PROMO- good babyface stuff
Then AJ Styles came out and cut a promo on Ricochet... and then he threw us to a video package recapping the events of last week’s show. The placement of this was very forced.

RICOCHET vs. LUKE GALLOWS (w/the Club)- 3/10
Ricochet won a match that was good for the time it got but also frustratingly short. AJ Styles then cut a promo to set up (after the conveniently-timed commercial break of course)...

RICOCHET vs. KARL ANDERSON (w/the Club)- 4/10
Great for the short amount of time it got. Ricochet overcame all of the interference and got the win.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
The Club beat Ricochet up again. AJ was going to hit Ricochet with a Styles Clash from the second rope but decided not to so that Ricochet would have “no excuses” when AJ wins the title from him at the PPV. This was a meh angle made even worse by the fact that their dumb “no wrestling during commercials” rule meant that they had to beat both Gallows AND Anderson to set this up when they really should have had to only beat one of them (or, even better, just do a DQ with the heels running in to attack the babyface).

EVOLVE 131 PLUG- great (would it have killed them to announce some matches, though?)
The words “professional wrestling” were spoken and the pro wrestling” appeared on the screen.

MORE DUMB 24/7 TITLE SH*T- dumb

SHANE & DREW SPOT A JANITOR WITH A LIMP- “that’s our guy,”
They pay him $5,000 to just stand there. Also, they’re going to get him a mask to wear. You can see where this is going.

BEAT THE CLOCK CHALLENGE MATCH: Bayley vs. Sarah Logan- 3/10
Sarah Logan howled before her match, which was a big mistake on her part because you know Vince is going to see this and try to turn her into Sheila the She-Wolf. The crowd cared so much about this match that they chanted “CM PUNK!”
Bayley won in 4:32. Graves tried to tell us that Nikki beating this time would be “a lot easier said than done,” despite the previous five matches all being shorter than this time, as well as two of the falls in the 2 out of 3 falls match.

BEAT THE CLOCK CHALLENGE MATCH: Nikki Cross vs. Dana Brooke- 1/10
Dana Brooke, who is supposed to be a babyface, was stalling on the outside like a cowardly heel. Renee Young claimed that this was “smart” because Dana “has nothing to lose.” Personally I think it’s stupid because while Dana has nothing to lose, she also has nothing to gain from a draw, so she might was well try to win because a loss won’t hurt her and a win is the only thing that will help her.
Now Dana is high-fiving and hugging Bayley on the outside like heels congratulating themselves for being so smart. Nikki won anyway, with a 1:50 to spare.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
Nikki called Bayley into the ring and said she would show Bayley what real friendship is when Alexa lets her makes the PPV match a handicap match and helps Alexa win the title. Nikki told Bayoley that she should find a friend to slap some sense into her so Bayley slapped Nikki. Nikki charged at Bayley so Bayley hit her with a Belly-to-Bayley and a diving elbow drop. The crowd booed Bayley. Cole (and the graphics team) are considering this handicap match stipulation official, even though the stipulation of the beat the clock challenge was that Alexa would get to pick the stip, not Nikki, and even the wording of Nikki’s won promo here lines up with this idea.

MORE CRAP WITH THE KANELLISES BACKSTAGE- this is now getting uncomfortable to watch.

COREY GRAVES INTERVIEWS SETH ROLLINS & BECKY LYNCH- bad
Why is Graves doing a backstage interview instead of Charly or Kayla? They hit on the same f*cking points they’ve been hitting on for weeks now, and not in ways that add any sort of spin on it.

THE STREET PROFITS HYPE UP THE PPV- bad
Dawkins picked Joe to beat Kofi because he doesn’t want Joe to choke him out. This man is supposed to be a champion.

IF THE UNDERTAKER INTERFERES HE IS OUT OF THE MATCH AT EXTREME RULES: Shane McMahon & Drew McIntyre vs. Roman Reigns & GARY “THE GOAT” GARBUTT- DUD!
If the powers that be are so biased towards Shane that they can make a stip like this where Shane got to pick Roman’s partner and say that if Taker interferes he is out of the match at the PPV, why didn’t they just book a handicap match at the PPV in the first place?
Shane cut a long boring promo introducing Gary The Goat before cutting to commercial. After then commercial, the match started. Gary The Goat was wearing not just a mask but also a full body suit, which should make you immediately suspicious. Via my powers of deduction I am going to guess that it’s Cedric Alexander under that mask, seeing as how there are only two African-American babyfaces on Raw, and this guy is nowhere near tall enough to be Titus O’Neil.
The Goat accidentally got tagged in while Drew was beating up Roman. Shane tried to beat up the Goat by the Goat started to do athletic spots (although he almost slipped on a springboard). The Goat ran wild until he ate Claymore Kick from Drew and Shane made the cover for the win. The match didn’t go more than two minutes.
Roman hit Drew with a Superman Punch after the match, and Shane and Drew retreated up the ramp. Gary The Goat unmasked to reveal himself to be Cedric Alexander. Renee Young got all excited and said “the Age of Alexander is here” while Cole told us that the babyfaces were “pulling one over on Shane and Drew here tonight” and Graves told me that Cedric gave an “impressive effort.”
HE LOST IN TWO F*CKING MINUTES! At least if there had been a “the heels screw Roman” thing it could theoretically have gotten some heat but instead the fans all happily chanted for Gary The Goat and Roman’s team lost fair and square.

This was an all-time TERRIBLE episode of Raw. The matches sucked, the PPV build sucked, the promo almost all sucked, and almost nothing relevant happened. I think Heyman’s actual power has been greatly exaggerated, as rather than feeling like a follow-up to last week’s show, this mostly felt like an undoing of last week’s show, with the big injury angle washed away so that we could get a gimmick match at the PPV in a feud that no one cares about, and all of Vince’s dumb comedy bullsh*t at the forefront. F*ck this company.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 7/8/2019 Raw (ONE OF THE WORST EVER!)

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 8th, '19, 22:57

I've been watching older stuff lately from the Attitude Era and beyond...WCW Goldberg shit and right before Ruthless Agression...this shit is so refreshing and enjoyable.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 8th, '19, 22:58

Right now I'm watching NOT Shane and Bischoff. It was during that time Where Kane freshly lost the mask and him and Shane had that heated feud.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 9th, '19, 07:43

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 8th, '19, 22:11 Gary The Goat unmasked to reveal himself to be Cedric Alexander. Renee Young got all excited and said “the Age of Alexander is here” while Cole told us that the babyfaces were “pulling one over on Shane and Drew here tonight” and Graves told me that Cedric gave an “impressive effort.”
HE LOST IN TWO F*CKING MINUTES! At least if there had been a “the eels screw Roman” thing it could theoretically have gotten some heat but instead the fans all happily chanted for Gary The Goat and Roman’s team lost fair and square.
I've heard other people say it, but I haven't. I've kept this card in my wallet... in mint condition... waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it. I'm a 'cup half full' kind of guy, I can admit that some things just aren't for me but can see why somebody else might enjoy them. But this, I'm afraid, is WCW 2000 bad. As a matter of fact, I think it's worse. This is 2019 WWE bad.

Let's go beyond the obvious surface stuff here of jobbing out a pay-off reveal in the main event of your show featuring Shane McMahon. A reveal you'd been building to all night a week after surprising us with the fucking Undertaker (even in 2019... yeah, it reeks of desperation, but it's still a big deal). Let's say people knew who Cedric was. Don't be blowing me up for that, people don't know who he is. I ~barely~ know who he is, I'll look up Cedric vs Murphey or whatever later blah blah blah, but for now... he's the guy that held the cruiserweight title for a while. I don't give a shit about him, which is understandable, he was never really introduced to the show, and hasn't been used or mentioned.

But, let's say everyone watches 205 Live every week and have been sitting at home in their Cedric Alexander tee shirts uploading fan art pics of Cedric Alexander to the internet asking for tattoo ideas for the last three months. In a company that admits it has ruined everyone it's touched beyond repair over the last two years, a company that not only admits it needs stars - is under serious fire from network outlets for not having them - beyond coming out as a garbage man and losing, is this the scenario you want for your boy Cedric?

It worked for Ali on Smackdown because he was working with Daniel Bryan and those guys. I'm sorry, but even if I were a Cedric Superfan, I could admit the man doesn't belong in a ring with Roman Reigns, Shane McMahon, and Drew. It doesn't make sense, and it doesn't work. Insert him into The Club/Ricochet angle or something, not here! What did they hope to accomplish? What good did it do for ANYONE!?

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 9th, '19, 08:39

Bob-O wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 07:43
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 8th, '19, 22:11 Gary The Goat unmasked to reveal himself to be Cedric Alexander. Renee Young got all excited and said “the Age of Alexander is here” while Cole told us that the babyfaces were “pulling one over on Shane and Drew here tonight” and Graves told me that Cedric gave an “impressive effort.”
HE LOST IN TWO F*CKING MINUTES! At least if there had been a “the eels screw Roman” thing it could theoretically have gotten some heat but instead the fans all happily chanted for Gary The Goat and Roman’s team lost fair and square.
I've heard other people say it, but I haven't. I've kept this card in my wallet... in mint condition... waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it. I'm a 'cup half full' kind of guy, I can admit that some things just aren't for me but can see why somebody else might enjoy them. But this, I'm afraid, is WCW 2000 bad. As a matter of fact, I think it's worse. This is 2019 WWE bad.

Let's go beyond the obvious surface stuff here of jobbing out a pay-off reveal in the main event of your show featuring Shane McMahon. A reveal you'd been building to all night a week after surprising us with the fucking Undertaker (even in 2019... yeah, it reeks of desperation, but it's still a big deal). Let's say people knew who Cedric was. Don't be blowing me up for that, people don't know who he is. I ~barely~ know who he is, I'll look up Cedric vs Murphey or whatever later blah blah blah, but for now... he's the guy that held the cruiserweight title for a while. I don't give a shit about him, which is understandable, he was never really introduced to the show, and hasn't been used or mentioned.

But, let's say everyone watches 205 Live every week and have been sitting at home in their Cedric Alexander tee shirts uploading fan art pics of Cedric Alexander to the internet asking for tattoo ideas for the last three months. In a company that admits it has ruined everyone it's touched beyond repair over the last two years, a company that not only admits it needs stars - is under serious fire from network outlets for not having them - beyond coming out as a garbage man and losing, is this the scenario you want for your boy Cedric?

It worked for Ali on Smackdown because he was working with Daniel Bryan and those guys. I'm sorry, but even if I were a Cedric Superfan, I could admit the man doesn't belong in a ring with Roman Reigns, Shane McMahon, and Drew. It doesn't make sense, and it doesn't work. Insert him into The Club/Ricochet angle or something, not here! What did they hope to accomplish? What good did it do for ANYONE!?
i'm gonna go and disagree with you, people DO know Cedric, he's the geek that has been running around backstage chasing the 24/7 title and completely failing to win it. For weeks he'd been positioned with the other comedy filler guys, and now they expect the people to care for him.

Also, why the hell he get a Dos Caras mask? Is Patron getting re-hired again?

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jul 9th, '19, 09:50

Bob-O wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 07:43 I've heard other people say it, but I haven't. I've kept this card in my wallet... in mint condition... waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it. I'm a 'cup half full' kind of guy, I can admit that some things just aren't for me but can see why somebody else might enjoy them. But this, I'm afraid, is WCW 2000 bad. As a matter of fact, I think it's worse. This is 2019 WWE bad.

Gonna hop on the "Disagree with Bob" train, and say something, that I will admit is the dumbest thing I've probably ever said to a group of people in a public place, much less on WR

Cedric will get over with this.

But not in like, the traditional wrestling way, where they're made to look like a threat. In that ironic "Rusev Day" way, where the fans will chant for it, cheer for it, and WWE will sell merch, which will sell like hotcakes for six months, because of ironic enjoyment and then WWE will continue to book dumb comedy because that's what sells merchandise.

I've often said "I have no sympathy for WWE fans" and THIS IS WHY. You pay hundreds of dollars to go to shows you complain endlessly about on the internet, you cheer for the dumb comedy, get the dumb comedy, eat it up to where WWE profits, and then the dumb comedy continues, which you will then continue to bitch about

The cosmic ballet goes on.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 9th, '19, 10:17

NWK2000 wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 09:50

Gonna hop on the "Disagree with Bob" train, and say something, that I will admit is the dumbest thing I've probably ever said to a group of people in a public place, much less on WR

But not in like, the traditional wrestling way, where they're made to look like a threat. In that ironic "Rusev Day" way, where the fans will chant for it, cheer for it, and WWE will sell merch, which will sell like hotcakes for six months, because of ironic enjoyment and then WWE will continue to book dumb comedy because that's what sells merchandise.

I've often said "I have no sympathy for WWE fans" and THIS IS WHY. You pay hundreds of dollars to go to shows you complain endlessly about on the internet, you cheer for the dumb comedy, get the dumb comedy, eat it up to where WWE profits, and then the dumb comedy continues, which you will then continue to bitch about

question is, will he officially change his name to Gary The Goat if he gets over?

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 9th, '19, 10:29

He might, but they'll shorten it to "Gary".

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jul 9th, '19, 10:30

cero2k wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 10:17
NWK2000 wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 09:50

question is, will he officially change his name to Gary The Goat if he gets over?
I mean, if not, he has an indy name where he can work a janitor gimmick while taking zero bumps a-la Honky Tonk Man and make hella money on the indies when he's middle aged.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 9th, '19, 10:33

NWK wrote:

You're misdiagnosing things. Things like Rusev Day getting over or like this ig it guys over in the way you are imagining aren't due to some sort if ironic love of it but rather due to modern wrestling fans (and particularly of the American and Canadian variety) simplyiminy to chant things. Rusev Day I'd the perfect example of something that made perfect sense when they did the initial segment, but the fans latched onto a chant rather than caring about the segment or the characters, and thus Rusev was turned into a one-dimensional goof who saur that "every day is Rusev Day."
This will ne no different
Fans will think it's fun to chant for the goat, but they won't gi e a sh*t about Cedric (see: Dillinger, Tye).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 9th, '19, 10:36

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 10:33
You're misdiagnosing things. Things like Rusev Day getting over or like this ig it guys over in the way you are imagining aren't due to some sort if ironic love of it but rather due to modern wrestling fans (and particularly of the American and Canadian variety) simplyiminy to chant things. Rusev Day I'd the perfect example of something that made perfect sense when they did the initial segment, but the fans latched onto a chant rather than caring about the segment or the characters, and thus Rusev was turned into a one-dimensional goof who saur that "every day is Rusev Day."
Fans will think it's fun to chant for the goat, but they won't gi e a sh*t about Cedric (see: Dillinger, Tye).
Rusev Day also took Rusev constantly joking on Twitter and Instagram, it wasn't just natural, but I do agree with that. Cedric's best chance is that all that fandom becomes a 'you deserve it' move and the fans push him to a throwaway US title run

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jul 9th, '19, 10:45

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 10:33 You're misdiagnosing things. Things like Rusev Day getting over or like this ig it guys over in the way you are imagining aren't due to some sort if ironic love of it but rather due to modern wrestling fans (and particularly of the American and Canadian variety) simplyiminy to chant things. Rusev Day I'd the perfect example of something that made perfect sense when they did the initial segment, but the fans latched onto a chant rather than caring about the segment or the characters, and thus Rusev was turned into a one-dimensional goof who saur that "every day is Rusev Day."
Okay, so Tye is a more apt comparison than Rusev, but I still think there is a huge underlying problem the fandom has not linked together in that "popping for dumb comedy you like" inherently translates to "receiving comedy you don't like months down the road because WWE is misinterpreting your response". So if smarks want out of those neverending gridlock, stop popping for dumb comedy! Don't go to shows! Don't buy merch! #CancelWWENetwork!
Or fans can be dumb sheep and wonder why them funneling money and response into WWE pedals this.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 9th, '19, 11:33

I'm actually not even sure about this one. Like I said, I've been watching some older stuff and of course "Awh man this new stuff can't compare...", but it's just like night and day. I know it's a change of pace and gigantic immense contrast in the product from top to bottom...but I just can't say it enough how great of a change it is.

The announcing is first and foremost. Give me J.R. and King ten thousand times over Cole and Renee "COME OOOONN!" Young any and every day all day.

Taking a walk back down the annels also makes me furtherly remember...(I've got all kinds of workout drink fueling through my system...) , but...today's product falls short a lot. My favorites are never used how I'd like, they might gain ground but ultimately end up fools. It's not just Strowman. I've always loved Almas and Vega, but I have no clue what their sitiuaton is due to now.

Even Rollins lost his edge because IT'S ALL ABOUT HIS GIRLFRIEND. *Supernatural Season 11 reference*.

He was never my favorite but BWAAAAHHH! He's in GOT-DANG love with Becky Lynch, whatever. Get Corbin gone from this angle. Lacey Evans is cool and all and at times entertaining....but-ah!

I'm beginning to rant and ramble. This has all been said before.

Anyways, I watched Michaels V Hogan Summerslam last night lmao...and the promo from Raw afterwards was even better.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 9th, '19, 18:06

NWK2000 wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 10:45
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 10:33 You're misdiagnosing things. Things like Rusev Day getting over or like this ig it guys over in the way you are imagining aren't due to some sort if ironic love of it but rather due to modern wrestling fans (and particularly of the American and Canadian variety) simplyiminy to chant things. Rusev Day I'd the perfect example of something that made perfect sense when they did the initial segment, but the fans latched onto a chant rather than caring about the segment or the characters, and thus Rusev was turned into a one-dimensional goof who saur that "every day is Rusev Day."
Okay, so Tye is a more apt comparison than Rusev, but I still think there is a huge underlying problem the fandom has not linked together in that "popping for dumb comedy you like" inherently translates to "receiving comedy you don't like months down the road because WWE is misinterpreting your response". So if smarks want out of those neverending gridlock, stop popping for dumb comedy! Don't go to shows! Don't buy merch! #CancelWWENetwork!
Or fans can be dumb sheep and wonder why them funneling money and response into WWE pedals this.
You're missing what I'm saying. I think these fans like having something goofy to chant for. They like the comedy, and always pop and chant along and in cases like this one, even push it in that direction by starting this sh*t.

If these smarks actually wanted the things they claim they wanted, they'd be watching 205 Live.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jul 10th, '19, 07:47

NWK2000 wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 10:45 So if smarks want out of those neverending gridlock, stop popping for dumb comedy! Don't go to shows! Don't buy merch! #CancelWWENetwork!
That's exactly what's happening though. Ratings are the shits. Attendance has been the shits. Through the context clues I think we can gather that merch sales and subscriptions are down as well. Fox is making grumbly noises about their deal and they're not even on their network yet!

I'm on board with your message, but we kind of need some of these dumb sheep to continue to funnel some of their money into WWE if it's ever going to get better. There just needs to be less of them, and that's where we're at...

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 10th, '19, 17:55

Bob-O wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 07:47
NWK2000 wrote: Jul 9th, '19, 10:45 So if smarks want out of those neverending gridlock, stop popping for dumb comedy! Don't go to shows! Don't buy merch! #CancelWWENetwork!
That's exactly what's happening though. Ratings are the shits. Attendance has been the shits. Through the context clues I think we can gather that merch sales and subscriptions are down as well. Fox is making grumbly noises about their deal and they're not even on their network yet!

I'm on board with your message, but we kind of need some of these dumb sheep to continue to funnel some of their money into WWE if it's ever going to get better. There just needs to be less of them, and that's where we're at...
My question about the network is, I know they get view counts on videos, but can they tell with whole episodes or PPVs the parts people are watching and the parts people are skipping? If that is a thing, then people just watch what they like and they’ll know.

At the same time as not supporting the dumb comedy, how are you going to support the guys you like if not going to the shows and buying merch and such? If people stop doing it, sure, dumb comedy might stop, but they won’t have a metric for the guys they should be pushing based on merch sales and things. I focus on merch because I don’t believe that people with any sort of lasting decision-making abilities actually listen to how the fans react to certain people, and so they can’t tell by that.

Also, the shows are fun, and if you’re gonna buy merch, you do it at the shows, because the damn shipping from the website is obscene.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 10th, '19, 19:14

Serujuunin wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 17:55
Bob-O wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 07:47

My question about the network is, I know they get view counts on videos, but can they tell with whole episodes or PPVs the parts people are watching and the parts people are skipping? If that is a thing, then people just watch what they like and they’ll know.
I don't know. They've never released numbers like this. They usually just release how many people watched each show each week/month.
Serujuunin wrote: Jul 10th, '19, 17:55 At the same time as not supporting the dumb comedy, how are you going to support the guys you like if not going to the shows and buying merch and such? If people stop doing it, sure, dumb comedy might stop, but they won’t have a metric for the guys they should be pushing based on merch sales and things. I focus on merch because I don’t believe that people with any sort of lasting decision-making abilities actually listen to how the fans react to certain people, and so they can’t tell by that.

Also, the shows are fun, and if you’re gonna buy merch, you do it at the shows, because the damn shipping from the website is obscene.
This.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation