I Made a Wise Decision to Skip Raw Tonight (*spoilers*)

Big Red Machine

I Made a Wise Decision to Skip Raw Tonight (*spoilers*)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 16th, '19, 21:04

Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: I Made a Wise Decision to Skip Raw Tonight (*spoilers*)

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 16th, '19, 22:01

For Maria, every day will be RUSEV DAYYYYYYYYYY!

You expected literally everything else?
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Sep 16th, '19, 22:39

Yeah... RAW was a steaming pile of garbage tonight, and I’m not looking forward to Smackdown tomorrow. At least Cole outright said no more wild cars rule after the draft though.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 17th, '19, 09:04

Serujuunin wrote: Sep 16th, '19, 22:39 Yeah... RAW was a steaming pile of garbage tonight, and I’m not looking forward to Smackdown tomorrow. At least Cole outright said no more wild cars rule after the draft though.
I guess he's been reading my reviews.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 17th, '19, 09:57

I'm just gonna say it.
I'm happy Corbin won. Give Corbin the shittiest "King Corbin" gear of all time, I will pop for it as long as it gets him out of his "Hibachi Grill Waiter" gear. Worst gear of all time. And I've watched The New Generation.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 17th, '19, 11:33

NWK2000 wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 09:57 I'm just gonna say it.
I'm happy Corbin won. Give Corbin the shittiest "King Corbin" gear of all time, I will pop for it as long as it gets him out of his "Hibachi Grill Waiter" gear. Worst gear of all time. And I've watched The New Generation.
I'll piggy back on this statement in that, as pissed as everyone is about Corbin getting KOTR:

1. He's a heel, and that's a good thing and the kind of heat he's going for.

2. Don't kid yourselves. People want to see Gable/Andrade/Sami/Ali/Murphy and so on PUSHED... but don't realize a KOTR push comes with the silly King gimmick that nobody is going to want to see on any of those guys. They'll all do better without it given the chance.

3. Except Chad Gable looks like a generic Roderick Strong which I:
3a. ...did not think was possible.
3b. ...can't cheer for. I open my mouth and nothing comes out, like a bad dream.
3c. ...would take Hibachi Grill Waiter gear over. Gable looks like the Assistant Manager at Tim Horton's.
3d. ...want you to understand that Roderick Strong is like the white kid on the basketball team that doesn't swear and tucks his shirts in. He's dating the hottest girl at church and they're saving themselves for marriage. WWE then... somehow... made a generic version of this. I'm not mad Gable didn't win, his dad probably is but said "...you tried, and that's what matters...", but I'm not. All hail King Corbin.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 17th, '19, 12:33

You are confusing heat with "l'll turn the channel because I'm sick of this f*cking guy."

Yes, the king gimmick is bad, but even if we cease hoping that they'll realize that it's supposed to be a f*cking metaphor
1. I think Andrade could have actually pulled it off because he has the right air of doichiness
2. Joe definitely could have made it work
3. Corbin is a proven failure and ratings killer. Better to take a chance on someone else than return him to a prominent position.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 17th, '19, 12:40

Bob-O wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 11:33
2. Don't kid yourselves. People want to see Gable/Andrade/Sami/Ali/Murphy and so on PUSHED... but don't realize a KOTR push comes with the silly King gimmick that nobody is going to want to see on any of those guys. They'll all do better without it given the chance.
not necessarily, they have the power to do it like Austin or Lesnar who didn't become gimmicks. King Ricochet was already a thing in the indies, Rey Andrade was a good way to proceed with the Rey Mysterio feud, feud for the 'Rey' nickname.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 17th, '19, 13:40

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 12:33
You're not wrong, but Joe also had to walk around with a tattoo of a penis on his face for this business. Poor bastard's suffered enough. Don't make him a king.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 17th, '19, 13:46

cero2k wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 12:40 they have the power to do it like Austin or Lesnar who didn't become gimmicks.
Those were both credibility wins for guys already well on their way and past the point of a silly gimmick. I'm thinking Drew McIntyre was the only one they'd have been willing to drop their precious tomfoolery for, as it'd be a step back. Joe as well, but like Red said, it'd work so well for him they'd almost have to.
cero2k wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 12:40 Rey Andrade was a good way to proceed with the Rey Mysterio feud, feud for the 'Rey' nickname.
TIL "Rey" means "King" in spanish!
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 12:33 You are confusing heat with "l'll turn the channel because I'm sick of this f*cking guy."

Yes, the king gimmick is bad, but even if we cease hoping that they'll realize that it's supposed to be a f*cking metaphor
1. I think Andrade could have actually pulled it off because he has the right air of doichiness
3. Corbin is a proven failure and ratings killer. Better to take a chance on someone else than return him to a prominent position.
No, I said the kind of heat they're GOING FOR... they just didn't get it. No doubt Constable Corbin was a miss, but I really think he's a talented guy that got stuck with that "Authority But Not Actually Authority" character that will never get over as long as The McMahons and Hunter remain on-screen characters in the actual authority roles. He was also essentially a jobber when the put him in that role, so he had zero credibility going into these main event angles (still scratching my head as to why they didn't use Luke Harper here)... of course there was no intrigue to it! A product of Vince's "shove it down their throats till they like it" mentality that modern fans won't tolerate, I don't blame Corbin's ability what so ever.

At face value, I would have quite enjoyed him through this tournament had I not still had the bad taste in my mouth from before. I think a reboot will serve him well, he's not a bad promo and he's shown drastic improvement in the ring... I still think he could be a success story.

Don't mistake this as me defending his stupid chest tattoo. The man will forever look like an idiot without his shirt on.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 17th, '19, 16:25

NWK2000 wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 13:40
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 12:33
You're not wrong, but Joe also had to walk around with a tattoo of a penis on his face for this business. Poor bastard's suffered enough. Don't make him a king.
He's already been one when didn't want to (Zero-1, I think). He's used to it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 17th, '19, 16:31

Bob-O wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 13:46
cero2k wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 12:40 they have the power to do it like Austin or Lesnar who didn't become gimmicks.
Those were both credibility wins for guys already well on their way and past the point of a silly gimmick. I'm thinking Drew McIntyre was the only one they'd have been willing to drop their precious tomfoolery for, as it'd be a step back. Joe as well, but like Red said, it'd work so well for him they'd almost have to.
cero2k wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 12:40 Rey Andrade was a good way to proceed with the Rey Mysterio feud, feud for the 'Rey' nickname.
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 12:33 You are confusing heat with "l'll turn the channel because I'm sick of this f*cking guy."

No, I said the kind of heat they're GOING FOR... they just didn't get it. No doubt Constable Corbin was a miss, but I really think he's a talented guy that got stuck with that "Authority But Not Actually Authority" character that will never get over as long as The McMahons and Hunter remain on-screen characters in the actual authority roles. He was also essentially a jobber when the put him in that role, so he had zero credibility going into these main event angles (still scratching my head as to why they didn't use Luke Harper here)... of course there was no intrigue to it! A product of Vince's "shove it down their throats till they like it" mentality that modern fans won't tolerate, I don't blame Corbin's ability what so ever.

At face value, I would have quite enjoyed him through this tournament had I not still had the bad taste in my mouth from before. I think a reboot will serve him well, he's not a bad promo and he's shown drastic improvement in the ring... I still think he could be a success story.

Don't mistake this as me defending his stupid chest tattoo. The man will forever look like an idiot without his shirt on.
The problem with Corbin wasn't the gimmick but rather his inability to carry all of the talking segments they put him in, combined with terrible and lazy booking. None of that has changed. His promo skills haven't improved, nor has the booking, and their desire to put him all over the tv show apparently hasn't, either.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 17th, '19, 16:36

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 16:31
Bob-O wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 13:46

The problem with Corbin wasn't the gimmick but rather his inability to carry all of the talking segments they put him in, combined with terrible and lazy booking. None of that has changed. His promo skills haven't improved, nor has the booking, and their desire to put him all over the tv show apparently hasn't, either.
Yeah. He's boring and somehow looks even worse completely bald.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 17th, '19, 17:18

I know what I said about how there's obviously going to come a point where Charlotte and Becky will gradually have to reunite and work together, begrudgingly learning to trust one another once again...but this WAS NOT the way to do it. Again, the 2 hottest and freshest heel stars in the company are made to look like fools waaaaay too soon. I'm really glad they got the win over Cross and Bliss though, so here's hoping they win those titles really soon. I think we could see a split finally between those two...after Alexa Bliss "oh I hurt my leg AGAIN number 5" last night on Raw....

It's time anyway. Now there's finally a team who's established enough to actually hold the titles.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 18th, '19, 11:11

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 16:31 The problem with Corbin wasn't the gimmick but rather his inability to carry all of the talking segments they put him in, combined with terrible and lazy booking. None of that has changed. His promo skills haven't improved, nor has the booking, and their desire to put him all over the tv show apparently hasn't, either.
I agree, but I'm seeing King Corbin as a new opportunity for him. I can't think of many people on the roster that could have made the "Constable" character work, with all the talking and screen time... it would have been suicide for most of the roster.

"King" promos are easy, and they're easing back off a strict script, so it should come across a little more naturally... and they won't be centering the show around him, he'll just have something to do.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 18th, '19, 11:19

Bob-O wrote: Sep 18th, '19, 11:11
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 17th, '19, 16:31 The problem with Corbin wasn't the gimmick but rather his inability to carry all of the talking segments they put him in, combined with terrible and lazy booking. None of that has changed. His promo skills haven't improved, nor has the booking, and their desire to put him all over the tv show apparently hasn't, either.
I agree, but I'm seeing King Corbin as a new opportunity for him. I can't think of many people on the roster that could have made the "Constable" character work, with all the talking and screen time... it would have been suicide for most of the roster.

"King" promos are easy, and they're easing back off a strict script, so it should come across a little more naturally... and they won't be centering the show around him, he'll just have something to do.
Yeah, it's like that guy said...WHY keep going with this guy over and over again when it and he doesn't work? It happens sometimes and it's honestly not good for a guy opportunity wise, but it's also the only way to know for sure who works in what roles and who doesn't.

Corbin DIDN'T. So fuck it. Move on with someone else and find something else for him.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 18th, '19, 19:13

Bob-O wrote: Sep 18th, '19, 11:11

I don't think he made the "constable" character work. The whole "constable" thing was part of the problem. It was an idiotic WWE imposed nickname that actually obscured what I thought was the real potential of the character, which was that he was a total sycophant and thus he not only could justify all of the heel storyline decisions that they needed, but that all of the faux pas of WWE's scripting and branding like the insistence on everything "making history" or the long-winded promos that felt like prepared and memorized speeches rather than natural, spontaneous dialogue were actually in character for him to be doing because his goal was to hold on his power by doing things that he thinks Steph wants.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation