BRM's thoughts on the 1/10/2011 Raw

Big Red Machine

BRM's thoughts on the 1/10/2011 Raw

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 12th, '11, 00:29

1. I like the Nexus attack in the beginning. It gives the show that feeling of "unscriptedness" if a group like Nexus has to TAKE time, rather than just being given it. Also, the fact that a match was supposed to happen gives it a less "sports-entertainment, lost of promos, very few matches" feel.

2. The opening segment was... intersting. It made some sense, and it was well done. It also seems like a great way to tease rebellion. It definitely made you want to stick around and see what would be in store for the rest of Nexus, so I guess it did its job.

3. R-Turth's pops didn't seem as loud as usual. I'd have expected him to be really voer in Nashville, considering his work in TNA when it was based there.

4. Why is Del Rio here again? If they traded Del Rio for Barett (as moronic as that would be)... JUST SAY SO!

5. Alberto Del Rio vs. R-Truth- No rating. This match didn't need to go long because of the finsih... and it wa a freaking great finish.

6. The thing with Ricardo Rodriguez singing was eh... and having it in the background totally killed Cole's hyping of Cena's return. They have this serious video package going on... and "La Cucaracha" playing in the background.

7. The King-Cole segment was very good... IF it is revelaed at some point down the line that Cole himself is the GM. If it is someone else... then this segment is just weird.

8. The Husky Harris initiatioin made Husky look tough, which was good.

9. Daniel Bryan & Mark Henry (w/the Bellas) vs. Ted Dibiase Jr. & Tyson Kidd (w/Maryse)- 3/10. Short, dumb, and didn't help anyone.

10. For the first time in months, the Big SHow was actually enjoyable on the mic. My gripe with this segment is, quite simply... why is he oin Raw? Between Show's promo tongiht and Del Rio's last week, it seems like WWE is only hyping the Rumble on Raw, which seems like an infinitely stupid idea.
Show's knockout punch is just as stupid as ever.

11. Morrison vs. Sheamus- 5.5/10. Can we get some false finishes, please? Morrison had almost no offensem then just hit his finish and won. BOOOO!

12. So Slater and Gabriel leave Nexus. Interesting. They are easily the two who are the best babyfaces. I can see Punk feuding with Cena while Otunga, Harris, & McGillicutty feud with Slater, Gabriel, & Barrett.

13. HBK is announced as an HOF inductee. I guess he didn't want to wait unitl the next Mania in Texas. If I were WWE, I would have held off on this for a year or so, just to give someone like Arn Anderson, Ron Simmons, and (if he accepts it, Sting) to lea the class. Also, it seems too soon. My one gripe with this as a segment is that we were promised that the roof would fly off when they announced HBK... and we neve got to hear it, becasue of the video package.

14. The HBK-Del Rio segment was good.

15. The segment with Miz and Riley backstage was pretty good.

16. HOLY F*CK! WHAT THE HELL IS PUNK DOING UP THERE?
HOLY SH*T? HE'S GOING TO JUMP OFF THE TITANTRON?
The thing with Punk on top of the tron was just... weird. I don't think anyone ACTUALLY thought that Punk was going to jump... they might have wanted him to jump because of heel heat... but I don't think anyone actually thought that Punk was going to jump

17. Once he got serious, Cena's promo was good.

18. Miz & Riley vs. Orton & Lawler- 5.75/10. This was wasn't very exciting.

Overall, this episode of Raw was pretty bad, and defintiely asn't enjoyable. There was some good stuff on here (some of the Nexus initiations)... but that stuff wasn't enjoyable. The in-ring action on this Raw wasabsolutely unacceptably bad.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Re: BRM's thoughts on the 1/10/2011 Raw

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 12th, '11, 00:48

I agree with everything. After having Morrison have a few weeks of consistantly good matches, he looks like he's going to get squashed by Sheamus and the BOOM running knee and it's over. Dumb finish. And I miss Starship Pain. :(

I did like all of the Nexus stuff this week, which is weird because I never liked it when Barrett was calling the shots (sorry EC!) and the main event was HARDLY a main event. Laaaaaame.

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Jan 12th, '11, 03:22

Barrett will come back stronger tha EVER!!

Big Red Machine wrote:12. So Slater and Gabriel leave Nexus. Interesting. They are easily the two who are the best babyfaces. I can see Punk feuding with Cena while Otunga, Harris, & McGillicutty feud with Slater, Gabriel, & Barrett.
This I would like to see. seems very intersting. Only problem is Barrett as a face.... Thats going to need a lot of convincing.

I liked Nexus better when it was all NXT guys, because then it made sense what they were trying to do. A bunch of young guys looking to take over by taking out the top talent. With Punk as the leader he kinda turned it into the bastard love child of the Straight Edge Society and some other group.

I still like Punk though, but wish Nexus was back to the way it was before he came in.

With Barrett at the top :D

Darkil

Post by Darkil » Jan 12th, '11, 07:05

I do agree with the Morrison / Sheamus match. Both of these guys are great in the ring yet it seemed like they were both tired early on in the match. Sheamus wasn't at all viscous in his attacks. I was very disappointed in the fact that they keep hyping Morrison as unpredictable [which is good] but yet everyone seems to be moving out of the way of his attacks. What's the point? If he's so unpredictable then nobody should be able to move out of the way half the time like Sheamus or Miz did. Yeah I know they could argue that they know him in and out, but if that were so then they would just dodge the whole match and Morrison would lose all the time. I also wondered why he basically got his butt kicked just to do one big move and knock Sheamus out....

I do like Punk's new shirt and find it interesting that he's leading Nexus, but I am afraid that Nexus is going to lose steam and just become another SES or NWO type group and get boring fast. I do hope that Punk has a way to keep the idea fresh instead of having, as EC put it, a bastard love child of SES, Nexus and some other group.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 12th, '11, 08:32

Earth Child wrote:This I would like to see. seems very intersting. Only problem is Barrett as a face.... Thats going to need a lot of convincing.

I liked Nexus better when it was all NXT guys, because then it made sense what they were trying to do. A bunch of young guys looking to take over by taking out the top talent. With Punk as the leader he kinda turned it into the bastard love child of the Straight Edge Society and some other group.

I still like Punk though, but wish Nexus was back to the way it was before he came in.

With Barrett at the top :D
I am kind of just realizing it now, but I think you are right. A lot of what Punk said sounded too much like a cult. Honestly, this seems like stuff they had planned for the SES that they scrapped the angle before they got to do. It makes sense in Nexus... but it would make a lot more sense in the SES.

Punk leading Nexus makes sense because Nexus now already have jobs, so they need a new goal. If the goal is to beat up Cena, then Punk, who has both successfully been doing that AND is a very charismatic speaker could easily have seemed like the kind of person that they would want to lead them.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3