BRM Reviews the 4/3/2018 Smackdown

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/3/2018 Smackdown

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 4th, '18, 00:06

BRYAN & SHANE PROMO- bad, boring, and annoying
Bryan apologizes to Shane for being wrong about Owens & Zayn. The problem with this is that Bryan really wasn’t wrong. Their major crime that has made Bryan change his mind about them has no bearing on all of his disagreements with Shane about them before, and in those cases, Shane was 100% wrong. Shane gets to get away with merely apologizing to Bryan for being “hot-headed,” in no way acknowledging the fact that he was completely and totally in the wrong in all of these situations, and nine times out of ten it seemed like Shane wasn’t at all being hot-headed so much as he was being a vindictive asshole.
These two then wasted time doing stupid gaga with the audience to build up to them hugging.

CHARLOTTE FLAIR vs. NATALYA- 6.75/10
This was not as good as the match two weeks ago. They did the same thing with Carmella trying to cash in MITB and getting her butt kicked by Charlotte, but this time Charlotte kicked out of Nattie’s school girl and locked in the Figure Eight to get her win back… which just makes you wonder what the hell the point of Nattie beating her was in the first place?
POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Asuka came out after the match and cut a promo on Charlotte. Asuka came off like a total jerk, so I popped when Charlotte snatched the mic away from her mid-promo.

AJ STYLES PROMO- decent

LONG OWENS & ZAYN VS. SHANE & BRYAN VIDEO PACKAGE- long

JINDER MAHAL (w/Sunil Singh) vs. RUSEV (w/Aiden English)- 5.75/10
Bobby Roode did guest commentary for this match. Sunil tried to sing (LOL) to introduce Jinder and was wonderfully terrible at it. Aiden English then laid a rap down on Sunil before doing an intro for Rusev. This match got minimized and muted so we could see and hear a video packafge for Roman vs. Brock. They really shouldn’t be doing this during matches. Rusev won clean.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
Randy Orton came out of nowhere and hit Rusev with an RKO. Aiden English tried to make the save but Bobby Roode pushed him off the top rope and into an RKO. Roode then handed Orton his belt and they both looked at the WrestleMania sign while the crowd all chanted “RUSEV DAY!”

SHINSUKE NAKAMURA PROMO- this was good, but I think they played these in the wrong order.

NEW DAY & USOS PROMO- basically they were supposed to plug the WWE Network while also cutting promos to hype up their match, but the horribly forced nature of the former made the latter feel completely phony.

MOJO RAWLEY, BARON CORBIN, DOLPH ZIGGLER, & PROMO COLON vs. ZACK RYDER, TYLER BREEZE, FANDANGO, & TYE DILLINGER- 4.5/10
They had a boring jobber match to “build up” the Andre The Giant Memorial Designated Concession Stand Visit Time. In case you were wondering who has had the most futile career in WWE history, we were told that “Fandango has been a part of every single Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royale.”
People were sent over the top rope in quick succession in an attempt to show us how exciting this battle royale would be… and they technically succeeded at that because I’m certain I’ll be equally bored on Sunday.

GABLE & BENJAMIN PROMO- would have been good without the words on the screen.

OWENS & ZAYN JUMP THE BARRICADE- No security attempted to remove them and no one cut their mics. Way to sell the idea that they’re fired there, WWE. They cut an AWESOME promo. Eventually Some referees showed up to beg them to leave. FINALLY someone cut their mics and security showed up. Bryan and Shane showed up and cut a promo on them saying they would be fired after Sunday. Bryan and Shane came out of this looking completely uncool and inferior.

AJ STYLES & SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. CHAD GABLE & SHELTON BENJAMIN- 7/10
After AJ vs. Nakamura is over, can we get a program between Nakamura and Gable?
Even this match- the main event with the two guys competing in a “dream match” for the WWE World Heavyweight Title- had to get minimized and muted for a video package for a different match. In this case that match was Asuka vs. Charlotte, which they already did a segment hyping up tonight.
These four had a great match, and some good interactions between AJ and Nakamura.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Shelton Benjamin attacked Nakamura after the match. Nakamura fought him off on his own. AJ then psyched Nakamura out with a teased Phenomenal Forearm, so AJ finally got one over on Nakamura.

An okay show from Smackdown, though in reality it was propped up by the main event. It hit all of the required notes for a go-home show, but like last night on Raw, there really wasn’t anything they could have done to get me more interested in the matches. The lack of Cena vs. Taker was interesting, so I guess they’re saving that for a Mania-only thing.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 4/3/2018 Smackdown

Post by KILLdozer » Apr 5th, '18, 09:53

I'm not sure you should be allowed or be able to kick the case when it's being cashed in. It was pretty much in the referee's hands by then. I understand the '"it's not official until the bell rings", but the Charlotte constantly coming back out of nowhere after getting her ass kicked, is getting ridiculous. How tough is this woman? Lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.