BRM Reviews the 12/11/2018 Smackdown (great)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 12/11/2018 Smackdown (great)

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 11th, '18, 22:19

DANIEL BRYAN PROMO- Yeah, okay, we get it. You like the environment, we fans are fickle, the Old Daniel Bryan is dead. I don’t need to hear the same promo every week.
The camera managed to zoom in on a pro-Bryan sign. FAIL. HE’S THE HEEL, YOU IDIOT! WHY WOULD YOU FOCUS ON THAT SIGN?!
Mustafa Ali comes out and Bryan tries to get out of their match by telling Ali that the fans don’t deserve to see this match. Ali tells Bryan that everyone on 205 Live used to look up to him but not anymore, and asks “what happened to you?” Ali tells Bryan that he wants to fight tonight. Bryan asks Ali what kind of car he tries, and slaps Ali when Ali says that he drives an SUV. Ali fought back and hit some high spots, and the match is going to start after the commercial!

DANIEL BRYAN vs. MUSTAFA ALI- 7.25/10
Bryan won clean, although he sure was vicious. He also attacked Ali on the ramp after the match.

RAP BATTLE- okay segment
I’ll give Kofi a pass for claiming that this was just the “second-ever Smackdown Live rap battle” because the “Smackdown Live” term could theoretically limit it to only time after the show adopted that name. Otherwise, Kofi would have forgotten the many rap battles that one Johnathan Felix Anthony Cena engaged in on Smackdown back in 2002-2005, including a rather memorable one against Kurt Angle.
Sheamus & Cesaro were excellent lame heels who thought they were being really cool. The Usos were bad (call me a rap battle traditionalists, but The Usos’ rap was too spoken word with not enough beat. New Day’s reaction in the background were fine. The heels jumped the babyfaces and laid everyone out.

ASUKA PROMO- fine

THE MIZ & SHANE MCMAHON PROMO- Miz calls Shane out to talk. He apparently stole Shane’s Best in the World trophy. Shane comes out, and Miz brings out “Chip & Chad: The Vegas Brothers” for them to team against.

THE VEGAS BROTHERS vs. SHANE MCMAHON & THE MIZ- DUD!
The Vegas Brothers jumped Shane from behind to start things off. The referee didn’t even make Miz put the trophy down. Shane made a comeback and beat the jobbers down. He gave whichever Vegas Brother the Caucasian one was a TERRIBLE-LOOKING DDT, then won with a PATHETICALLY UGLY triangle choke.

PAIGE, A REFEREE, & THE VEGAS BROTHERS BACKSTAGE- terrible.
Paige is furious that all of this went on without her permission, telling the referee that she should fire him. Doesn’t Shane outrank Paige? Because he seemed to be okay with it. And if Paige didn’t want this match to happen, why did she just sit back and let it happen instead of running out and ordering the match be stopped?
The referee told her that Miz told him that she had sanctioned it, and the Vegas Brothers handed her invoices with their booking fee of $5,000 that Miz had said she agreed to. This segment was terrible, made Paige look like an asshole, and accomplished nothing other than digging several plot-holes.

RANDY ORTON VS. REY MYSTERIO BUILD SEGMENT- good
Orton and Rey have been booked against each other in a Chairs Match at TLC. Holy crap a gimmick match on this PPV where they have actually built the feud in such a way that the gimmick match they are now booked in makes sense!
Randy cut a WAY too scripted promo, then Rey jumped him from behind and beat him up with a chair. Turnabout is fair play, right Randy?

KAYLA BRAXTON INTERVIEWS BECKY LYNCH- Becky cuts a great promo explaining to us why Charlotte and Asuka wrestling each other tonight while Becky doesn’t wrestle at all doesn’t give her an unfair advantage this Sunday. Unfortunately, she also said she would be at ringside for tonight’s main event, so there goes our clean finish.

SAMOA JOE & SHINSUKE NAKAMURA vs. JEFF HARDY & RUSEV (w/Lana)- 6.5/10
Right before this match I really want to see starts, they delay it with Truth and Carmella coming out to dance. Paige has a problem with a match she didn’t sanction, but has no problem with this?
The babyfaces were distracted by Truth and Carmella leaving, so Nakamura took advantage of it by attacking Jeff from behind to start things off. Jeff was the babyface in peril but was eventually able to make the hot tag. Rusev pinned Nakamura clean after A Matchka Kick.

SHANE & MIZ BACKSTAGE- Now Shane is yelling at Miz. Sorry Shane, but are you trying to tell me that you didn’t realize what was happening when Miz called out a referee, then called out two dudes who came down the ramp wearing wrestling gear while entrance music played, and you didn’t know he was intending on starting a wrestling match? Because unless that’s what you’re trying to tell me- which would make you way too stupid to be able to hold your job- you easily could have put a stop to this before it ever started, but you didn’t. You don’t get to be angry about this, so wipe that angry look off your face, windbag!
Miz appeals to Shane’s ego and offers him a handshake, but Shane storms off.

KAYLA BRAXTON INTERVIEWS AJ STYLES- Good promo by AJ to build to Sunday’s WWE World Heavyweight Title match.

KAYLA BRAXTON INTERVIEWS CHARLOTTE FLAIR- GREAT!

CHARLOTTE FLAIR vs. ASUKA- 8.5/10
A really awesome match that ended in a stupid DQ when Charlotte grabbed a Kendo Stick and attacked Asuka with it. Charlotte also attacked Becky with it, and each woman got to have a turn winning the post-match brawl and hitting the others with a Kendo Stick… in order to build up to their Tables, Ladders, and Chairs Match.

A pretty great episode of Smackdown, despite the disappointing ending and the bad Miz/authority figures stuff.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 12/11/2018 Smackdown (great)

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 11th, '18, 22:40

I won't call you "a rap battle traditionalist". You're the whitest guy I know.

Why is Asuka's promo "fine"...but Charlotte's ..."great!"...hmmmm lol
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 11th, '18, 23:28

KILLdozer wrote: Dec 11th, '18, 22:40 I won't call you "a rap battle traditionalist". You're the whitest guy I know.

Why is Asuka's promo "fine"...but Charlotte's ..."great!"...hmmmm lol
Because Charlotte's was better. Asuka's was just her usual "ready for Asuka" type of stuff.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 12th, '18, 08:37

Awh! The show starts with hype of two vanilla midgets facing off! Why is Ali even here?!? Keep him on VM-05 Live with the rest of them!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 12th, '18, 08:39

Yeah, everything is about "the new Daniel Bryan" "this is the new Daniel Bryan dude!" ...he's a "new man" , so he now has to be called..."new"...every single he's ever mentioned now...

WWE hyping and branding at its finest.

Who ever thought they'd did with him though?

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 12th, '18, 08:47

They've said "the new Daniel Bryan" 5 or 6 times already and it's 20 minutes in. Saxton just said it again while I typed that.

Not to mention I skipped the first 15 minutes of his same, repetitive weird ridiculous promo.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 12th, '18, 08:50

They've said it said probably almost 10 more times already! Get him off the Screen already and move on .

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 12th, '18, 10:51

Naomi and Mandy Rose was mentioned in that article though...weird.

You know...they did a "hype graphic" with music for Naomi and it almost seemed she was out next. Then you got that tag match. So who knows.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 12th, '18, 12:11

Shows get rewritten 2-3 hours before the show, WWE always takes advantage of the 'card subject to change' detail

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 12th, '18, 12:33

Mandy Rose definitely has talent rising...Naomi is just made to look obnoxious and she's just on the "good-garbage" side of things...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 12th, '18, 19:18

I would usually like that they gave an explanation for this...

but if you're going to do this, make sure you have all of your ducks in a row, first:

Whoops.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation