Did You Know: Johnny Gargano...

Forum rules
All Topics in this subsection must start with the prefix "did you know" followed by the name of the topic.

e.g.
Did You Know...The Rock
NWK2000

Did You Know: Johnny Gargano...

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 5th, '19, 20:14

Once worked on the same card as Kevin Nash and Tito Santana? The show, PWO Wrestleution 4, held on August 7, 2011
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Did You Know: Johnny Gargano...

Post by cero2k » Jun 5th, '19, 23:40

it's the indies, it's not really surprising to be honest. I mean, two weeks ago Kenny Omega worked in the same card as Glacier, a man with no legs, Aja Kong, and was narrated by Jim Ross.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 6th, '19, 08:18

cero2k wrote: Jun 5th, '19, 23:40 it's the indies, it's not really surprising to be honest. I mean, two weeks ago Kenny Omega worked in the same card as Glacier, a man with no legs, Aja Kong, and was narrated by Jim Ross.
Wrestling's past and future interacting is something I think gets taken for granted, as it almost never happens in other mediums that require physical skill. You never hear that Stephen Curry played a pickup game with Scottie Pipen for example.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 6th, '19, 10:49

NWK2000 wrote: Jun 6th, '19, 08:18
cero2k wrote: Jun 5th, '19, 23:40 it's the indies, it's not really surprising to be honest. I mean, two weeks ago Kenny Omega worked in the same card as Glacier, a man with no legs, Aja Kong, and was narrated by Jim Ross.
Wrestling's past and future interacting is something I think gets taken for granted, as it almost never happens in other mediums that require physical skill. You never hear that Stephen Curry played a pickup game with Scottie Pipen for example.
A pick-up game? No. But you do hear stories of mentoring with people you wouldn't expect due to lack of geographic proximity (Ichiro Suzuki and Buck O'Neil being the one that immediately pops into my mind).

Other sports also don't have the same set-up wrestling does. They don't have indies or overseas leagues where major names from the past might pop up for the one-off payday.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 6th, '19, 14:39

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 6th, '19, 10:49
NWK2000 wrote: Jun 6th, '19, 08:18
A pick-up game? No. But you do hear stories of mentoring with people you wouldn't expect due to lack of geographic proximity (Ichiro Suzuki and Buck O'Neil being the one that immediately pops into my mind).

Other sports also don't have the same set-up wrestling does. They don't have indies or overseas leagues where major names from the past might pop up for the one-off payday.
Yeah...it's not really the same thing...

Jerry Rice is NOT gonna be returning for ONE GAME ONLY against Brett Favre, FOR ONE GAME ONLY, in 49ers Vs Packers....sorry pal...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 6th, '19, 16:05

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 6th, '19, 14:39

Yeah...it's not really the same thing...

Jerry Rice is NOT gonna be returning for ONE GAME ONLY against Brett Favre, FOR ONE GAME ONLY, in 49ers Vs Packers....sorry pal...
get me the Saudi prince on the phone

XIV

Post by XIV » Jun 7th, '19, 11:32

Can I just say on the subject of the guy with no legs in that god awful AEW battle royal... Shawn Spears probably thought he was going to AEW for a fresh start no bullshit.

Then he gets eliminated by a guy with no legs.

Just imagine being the agent having that chat with him before the match.

Agent: "Hey Shawn, it's great to have you here man, I see big things for you, fuck WWE man, they screwed you over, you'll be a big deal here... So we're gonna put you in this battle royal, the winner gets a title shot. Oh man, it's gonna be sweet"

Shawn: "So, I'm winning it?"

Agent: "...Not exactly..."
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 7th, '19, 11:43

XIV wrote: Jun 7th, '19, 11:32
Can I just say on the subject of the guy with no legs in that god awful AEW battle royal... Shawn Spears probably thought he was going to AEW for a fresh start no bullshit.

Agent: "Hey Shawn, it's great to have you here man, I see big things for you, fuck WWE man, they screwed you over, you'll be a big deal here... So we're gonna put you in this battle royal, the winner gets a title shot. Oh man, it's gonna be sweet"

Dustin Thomas is incredibly talented, but he should not have been put in that battle royale. He was the cherry on top that just drove home the point that this was a match full of various types of "special attraction" guys who they just wanted to get on the show (in this category I'd include him, Sonny Kiss, Tommy Dreamer, Glacier, Billy Gunn, Marko Stunt, Jungle Boy, Ace Romero, maybe even Jimmy Havoc) rather than people who came across as serious contenders. The name and idea were kind of cool, but I think an eight-way between some combination of Page, MJF, Janela, Pillman Jr., Luchasaurus, Spears, Havoc, Jungle Boy, Nakazawa, and maybe Billy Gunn) would have been better.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Jun 7th, '19, 12:21

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 7th, '19, 11:43

Dustin Thomas is incredibly talented, but he should not have been put in that battle royale. He was the cherry on top that just drove home the point that this was a match full of various types of "special attraction" guys who they just wanted to get on the show (in this category I'd include him, Sonny Kiss, Tommy Dreamer, Glacier, Billy Gunn, Marko Stunt, Jungle Boy, Ace Romero, maybe even Jimmy Havoc) rather than people who came across as serious contenders. The name and idea were kind of cool, but I think an eight-way between some combination of Page, MJF, Janela, Pillman Jr., Luchasaurus, Spears, Havoc, Jungle Boy, Nakazawa, and maybe Billy Gunn) would have been better.
100% agree. With Shawn Spears I expect him to be midcard in AEW, but I expected them to cash in on his popularity and at looking at the names in the battle royal, expected him to be in the last 5 at least.

No doubting Dustin Thomas is talented, He can do things with half a body that many with a full body cannot, but he's suplexed someone over the top rope. If I was Shawn Spears, I'd never set foot in an AEW ring again.
Have A Nice Day!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 7th, '19, 13:06

XIV wrote: Jun 7th, '19, 12:21
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 7th, '19, 11:43

100% agree. With Shawn Spears I expect him to be midcard in AEW, but I expected them to cash in on his popularity and at looking at the names in the battle royal, expected him to be in the last 5 at least.

No doubting Dustin Thomas is talented, He can do things with half a body that many with a full body cannot, but he's suplexed someone over the top rope. If I was Shawn Spears, I'd never set foot in an AEW ring again.
I saw something from that "Spring Break" of this no legs guy "doing a 619"...and all I'm gonna say is....no.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 7th, '19, 13:15

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 7th, '19, 13:06
I saw something from that "Spring Break" of this no legs guy "doing a 619"...and all I'm gonna say is....no.
it was hella fun. Deppen is great.