2 Cents: WrestleMania Themes

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
Big Red Machine

2 Cents: WrestleMania Themes

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 17th, '17, 10:03

Is it just me or have they all gotten a lot lamer in the past few years. They used to be songs that made you think of an action movie, but now it feels like they're all just generic party tracks for light dancing.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: 2 Cents: WrestleMania Themes

Post by cero2k » Mar 17th, '17, 11:26

i seriously hate them, just one more thing that I wish my friends wouldn't find me listening.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 19th, '17, 20:34

"Big time" was the last good one I can actually remember that sticks out instantly when I think of WM themes.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

XIV

Post by XIV » Mar 26th, '17, 15:07

"My way" by Limp Bizkit was the best of the best.

Now they're picked for genericism rather than application.

At least My Way contributed to the show, gave it a really big feel and was even used for vignettes of the main event.

The shit the drill out every year now for most PPVs are poor.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 26th, '17, 15:09

XIV wrote:"My way" by Limp Bizkit was the best of the best.

At least My Way contributed to the show, gave it a really big feel and was even used for vignettes of the main event.

The shit the drill out every year now for most PPVs are poor.

Totally agree.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 26th, '17, 15:22

XIV wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I think that this is an excellent way to phrase a lot of the problems that WWE has in general.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Mar 26th, '17, 15:30

Big Red Machine wrote:
XIV wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I think that this is an excellent way to phrase a lot of the problems that WWE has in general.

Oh hugely, this has been a problem for a while now. They're trying to be like a lot of businesses who give those introductory offers, but never give the loyal customers anything (we have that with insurance firms in the U.K.) They're constantly about trying to bring new interest on board instead of keeping what they have, and you can almost say the same about WWE. Sure the Network and stuff helps keeps fans around because of all of the old content, but when it comes to PPV and more Raw than Smackdown, it's always about celebrity, endorsements, generic themes, generic stories.

What was the last feud that was built properly as a "these guys really hate each other and will do anything to beat each other"?

Think about Austin vs Rock from WM, or Triple H vs Cactus Jack in 2000 and a few others along the way... they're not booked like that anymore, sure they say they don't like each other, but you don't get that feeling anymore that the guys really want to do damage and that emotion has been missing from WWE for a long time.

And a simple Theme or correctly done Vignette can really help it... I'll take you back to The Rock and Austin one from that Wrestlemania, I can still watch that vignette now and think "those guys wanted to end each other" and the. Go and watch the match because it just gets you that fired up.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 26th, '17, 21:59

XIV wrote:What was the last feud that was built properly as a "these guys really hate each other and will do anything to beat each other"?

there worst thing is that this IS happening, Bray/Orton, Shane/Styles, Rollins/Hunter all technically booked that way, but they're so lame that it doesn't feel heated at all, they book all this shit that WWE thinks is super edgy and headed, but it just comes off as lame. Shane bleed two weeks ago, and it still felt lame.

I just finished watching Jimmy Havoc vs Pete Dunne from Progress 45 and I seriously can't remember the last time two guys hated each other in WWE as much as this guys do here

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 27th, '17, 07:25

cero2k wrote:
XIV wrote:What was the last feud that was built properly as a "these guys really hate each other and will do anything to beat each other"?

there worst thing is that this IS happening, Bray/Orton, Shane/Styles, Rollins/Hunter all technically booked that way, but they're so lame that it doesn't feel heated at all, they book all this shit that WWE thinks is super edgy and headed, but it just comes off as lame. Shane bleed two weeks ago, and it still felt lame.

I just finished watching Jimmy Havoc vs Pete Dunne from Progress 45 and I seriously can't remember the last time two guys hated each other in WWE as much as this guys do here

Rollins vs. Hunter is definitely an "I hate you and want to end you" feud. I don't see the others as being based around that (especially not AJ vs. Shane). The last feud that WWE had that really felt that way was Owens vs. Zayn, but that wasn't even a main roster creation.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 27th, '17, 07:41

It's just so much doing things halfway.

It's like the ideas are clearly there, plans are obviously in place, but that's about it. It's not 150 % all the time and everything is it's absolute best.

It's almost like point a to b to c is laid out, but how they get there along the way doesn't really matter.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 27th, '17, 08:21

KILLdozer wrote:It's just so much doing things halfway.

It's like the ideas are clearly there, plans are obviously in place, but that's about it. It's not 150 % all the time and everything is it's absolute best.

It's almost like point a to b to c is laid out, but how they get there along the way doesn't really matter.

Or perhaps that they know what Point A is, know what Point B is, and know what Point C is, but either don't know how or don't care about getting them from Point A to Point B to Point C in a way that feels like a gradual progression. Instead of traveling from A to B to C in a straight line they get to A then circle around it for a while until it's time to be at B so they magically teleport to B, then circle around B for a while until they magically teleport to C. It's a failure of storytelling.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 27th, '17, 10:07

Big Red Machine wrote:
KILLdozer wrote:It's just so much doing things halfway.

Or perhaps that they know what Point A is, know what Point B is, and know what Point C is, but either don't know how or don't care about getting them from Point A to Point B to Point C in a way that feels like a gradual progression. Instead of traveling from A to B to C in a straight line they get to A then circle around it for a while until it's time to be at B so they magically teleport to B, then circle around B for a while until they magically teleport to C. It's a failure of storytelling.

Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 28th, '17, 18:42

I know I'm like, atrociously late to this party, but here goes.

While I can see BRM's original point (as wrestling is usually better represented by some kind of hard rock) I kinda like the "pop/ smooth rap" Wrestlemania themes of new. I think in the last few years, Wrestlemania has transformed into more-or-less a festival. There's stuff going on all week, from wrestling to concerts, to other sporting events that know they have a wrestling crowd on hand (Ex: A podcast host I listen to went to Wrestlemania 32, and as part of the week, he attended a Dallas Stars hockey game, and the music playlist for the evening featured several wrestling themes), so I think Mania is more festival-like in its scope, and for some reason, the new Wrestlemania themes have always given me the "fun festival" kind of vibe, so I think for that reason the music choices fit.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.