2 Cents: Lars Sullivan

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
NWK2000

2 Cents: Lars Sullivan

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 21st, '19, 11:40

Lars Sullivan is so fucking doomed on the main roster it's not even funny. Say what you will about The Vikings for example, but they at least got to keep their presentation. They took away the cool lighting effect from Lars, so he now he just looks like one of those turn-of-the-decade nothing happening big dudes like Snitsky or Test in his second run. And that's so inexcusable considering one of the things WWE does super good is production flourishes like that.

Also, without those flourishes it just betrays the fact that he's below average like Snitsky.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Re: 2 Cents: Lars Sullivan

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '19, 12:01

Are you kidding me? This topic has been done to death already lol...I didn't really think there was much that hasn't been said...but I can't pass it up.

Garbage. He's like...6'3 at the most and Sasha Fuentes' tiny little ass seemed to be up to his shoulder. No real muscle mass at all so he just doesn't fit the role at all. Nowheres near strong enough for this gimmick either. You simply can't struggle to powerhouse opponents when you're supposed to be some kind of monster. He's not a "freak"

Sure the boy's ugly but so are a lot of others but they don't call them freaks. Snitsky was at least in better shape...both times. Too bad it's too late in the game for him to be really facing the Undertaker....remember In the early 2000s when we had ALL OF THOSE giant dudes coming and going just to pretty much lose to The Undertaker?

He'd be perfect for that! I wanna see him Strowman run over him...or Lashley...that would be really cool actually...I'm pretty sure they could actually lift him...I'm not sure the other way around....
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 21st, '19, 12:11

he's just one of those guys that can't catch a break (and granted, he's not exactly keeping himself out of trouble), but he has the look and aura, but they bring him in early to the main roster, he suffers from anxiety attacks, he gets constantly injured, he is given dumb promos and shit booking

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 21st, '19, 12:46

cero2k wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 12:11 he's just one of those guys that can't catch a break (and granted, he's not exactly keeping himself out of trouble), but he has the look and aura, but they bring him in early to the main roster, he suffers from anxiety attacks, he gets constantly injured, he is given dumb promos and shit booking
I thought his "Three blind mice" promo was pretty good, but considering he's all aura, when you take that away, he's just a guy, and I think the goofy DQ loss to the Lucha Dragons at SSD was deserved.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 21st, '19, 13:06

NWK2000 wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 12:46
I thought his "Three blind mice" promo was pretty good, but considering he's all aura, when you take that away, he's just a guy, and I think the goofy DQ loss to the Lucha Dragons at SSD was deserved.
i'm of the 'monsters shouldn't talk' school for guys like Lars

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '19, 13:28

cero2k wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 13:06
Yeah...the only time they should say anything is before a very heated intense match-something like, 5 words maximum-"I will break you.", and that's very rare.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 21st, '19, 15:54

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 13:28
Yeah...the only time they should say anything is before a very heated intense match-something like, 5 words maximum-"I will break you.", and that's very rare.
And not even in full sentences most of the time. He should be a "You. Me. NOW!" guy.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 21st, '19, 17:47

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 15:54
KILLdozer wrote: Jun 21st, '19, 13:28

And not even in full sentences most of the time. He should be a "You. Me. NOW!" guy.
Or what about the first time Kane ever spoke? With the voicebox because his vocal cords were so badly damaged...you'll never see character development like that again...

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 23rd, '19, 15:58

Like Dozer and I have been roasting him on for months now, Lars was doomed for the main roster back on NXT. He's just not tall enough to do the Snitsky/Mike Knox bit. Mike Knox was barely tall enough to get away with the Snitsky/Mike Knox bit at 6'6". That's as tall as Goldust, but they were able to 'smoke n mirror' their way around that... which is what they did to Sullivan on NXT. The presentation, the camera angles... it works when you've got "the build" and you're the tallest guy there (Ohno actually had him beat by an inch). Had the Cena program worked out, they might have been able to salvage some of him (Sullivan has 3 inches on Cena), but it was only a matter of time before it didn't work, Strowman would make him look like belonged on 205. They did wind up going the Lesnar-route putting him with Lucha House Party (shades of Lesnar and the Hardys), which was the smarter way to go... but long term, Lars isn't Brock, and they done fucked up. He just doesn't size up to the other guys there.

IMO, without all the setbacks, he COULD HAVE worked! With his condition, it did make for a VERY interesting looking performer. I disagree with the silent giant approach. The dude could talk! He cut some great promos in NXT! But they kept the underlying focus on him being a "monster" (which he isn't), when they should have shifted the focus ~just slightly~ into him being an intelligent FREAK - which he is, and conveyed very well in some NXT promos. Let's call a spade a spade, the dude is a sideshow attraction's dream. All the makings of a Super Villian! Less Snitsky and more... I'm thinking part Rhyno, part Kevin Sullivan, with a hint of Samoa Joe.

I could absolutely have gotten behind him coming out like that, destroying something beautiful (Cena), building a character fueled by resentment while dissecting the behaviors of The WWE Universe (like Zayn is doing now). He's NOT BIG ENOUGH to be a "man of five words"... he's gotta talk shit! He's gotta let everyone know why he's so pissed off all the time.
I'd lose my mind when that arc crossed Bray Wyatt's. I wouldn't bat an eye when THAT Sullivan stood across from Strowman... yes Strowman is clearly almost a foot taller, but nobody ever said he wasn't. What I do know is that Lars is going to hold his own where so many haven't, and these two are going to absolutely kill one another.

tl;dr
I think they did him right by taking away his current presentation. I think they did him wrong putting him with Lucha House Party (focusing on size vs abnormality).