2 Cents: Cody's neck tattoo

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
NWK2000

2 Cents: Cody's neck tattoo

Post by NWK2000 » Mar 5th, '20, 13:42

I've been seeing a lot of guff about Cody's neck tattoo online, and while yes it's a gaudy tattoo, I think people are missing the fact that outlandish attires to sell a feud are a hallmark of Rhodes-style storytelling, from Dusty writing "Tully" on his head for Starrcade 1986, to getting his eye stabbed out from the Road Warrior's spike and wearing an eyepatch, from Goldust doing the whole "FU" facepaint after his breakup with Marlena, but before his The Artist Formerly Known As Gimmick. Cody's tattoo is just part of that legacy, and I have no doubt its eventual removal will be tied to some significant story event.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

KILLdozer

Re: 2 Cents: Cody's neck tattoo

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 5th, '20, 15:23

Well neck tattoos never look good or right by themselves so....
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 5th, '20, 16:04

the American Nightmare logo is bad by itself, it's something between M.Bison and GI Joe. Having an US flag tattoo to it is super tacky. Combine the two and it's a shitty design, nothing to do with the placing or execution of the tattoo.

another problem is that Cody doesn't have many tattoos, so it sticks out by itself. If Punk got that tattoo with his sleeves and chest piece, it wouldn't look so out of place.

But to each their own when it comes to tattoos, it's not the worst tattoo. it's well done and he probably likes it and that's all that matters, no one else has any say.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 5th, '20, 16:27

It's really fugly, but I think the thing that puts it over the top into Icarus territory is the brightness of the color.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Mar 6th, '20, 05:49

If I was running the company, I'd be furious that he's drastically changed his appearance just as we're releasing action figures which do not contain this tattoo! It's bad for business because you'd be surprised how many people wouldn't buy because it didn't feel "up to date".
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 6th, '20, 09:39

XIV wrote: Mar 6th, '20, 05:49 If I was running the company, I'd be furious that he's drastically changed his appearance just as we're releasing action figures which do not contain this tattoo! It's bad for business because you'd be surprised how many people wouldn't buy because it didn't feel "up to date".
would that number really be higher than those that didn't buy an action figure with a shitty tattoo?

Maybe this is the trick to sell a second Cody in a couple of months. wrestling action-figure fans are more of the collector type, WWE releases the a new Cena/Hunter/Hogan every year