2 Cents: The Mickie James vs Trish Stratus feud

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
NWK2000

2 Cents: The Mickie James vs Trish Stratus feud

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 22nd, '20, 10:26

Watched WWE: Timeline: Do You Love Me Now? and, as someone who watched week to week at the time, I never realized that Trish was low key the heel of the feud, or at least, the world's most unlikeable babyface. Mickie was clearly obsessive and had a problem, and Trish just kinda...let's it happen to not hurt her feelings? Mickie's eventual betrayal was engineered by Trish's inability to communicate. The real hero of the story was Ashley Massaro, who was trying to warn Trish about her and confronted Mickie.

Also the Timeline documentary doesn't go into the rubber match, in which Trish pretended to be Mickie James for no reason. Would've loved to have seen the narrator try to make sense of that shit.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Re: 2 Cents: The Mickie James vs Trish Stratus feud

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 22nd, '20, 11:17

Disagree. Mickie was a psycho. Trish was put in a very difficult position.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 22nd, '20, 16:32

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 22nd, '20, 11:17 Disagree. Mickie was a psycho. Trish was put in a very difficult position.
I mean, you're right. What happened would've probably happened no matter how she went about it, it was just infuriating to watch Trish tiptoe around the issue upon a rewatch.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 22nd, '20, 17:13

NWK2000 wrote: Sep 22nd, '20, 16:32
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 22nd, '20, 11:17 Disagree. Mickie was a psycho. Trish was put in a very difficult position.
I mean, you're right. What happened would've probably happened no matter how she went about it, it was just infuriating to watch Trish tiptoe around the issue upon a rewatch.
I thought she handled herself pretty well. She didn't ask to be Mickie's mentor or anything like that. Mickie latched onto her. Did Trish act in an optimally saintly manner? No. But who among us wouldn't have handled it the way she did (or worse).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 23rd, '20, 09:46

Yeah you clearly misunderstood the entire point of the angle. Mickie was the worst kind of insane, and Trish stratus didn't really know what to do and didn't wanna make the wrong move in the given situation. I honestly believe this may be the best women's storyline of that entire time period, which isn't saying much, but nothing comes close.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 23rd, '20, 11:53

KILLdozer wrote: Sep 23rd, '20, 09:46 Yeah you clearly misunderstood the entire point of the angle. Mickie was the worst kind of insane, and Trish stratus didn't really know what to do and didn't wanna make the wrong move in the given situation. I honestly believe this may be the best women's storyline of that entire time period, which isn't saying much, but nothing comes close.
This.

This storyline contains a segment that is one of the two examples I always bring up when I tell people that while the T&A presentation of the women is not what I like to see and not what I think is the best way to present them, there are ways that the "bikini contest" framework can be used for the purposes of telling a pro wrestling story.
Watch this:

Mickie is so fantastically off-putting, especially with that cheap cardboard title. And she is annoying so Victoria feels justified in behaving the way she does, but you can also understand why Trish would feel compelled to protect Mickie, despite clearly being put off by her.

This costume contest wasn't an excuse to show T&A. It functioned to get the characters over.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation