2 Cents: Dain and Maverick's theme

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
NWK2000

2 Cents: Dain and Maverick's theme

Post by NWK2000 » Apr 21st, '21, 10:39

Def Rebel has been lauded for having generic rock themes, but Dain and Maverick's tag team theme is absolute gold. Completely ridiculous themes should be the order of the day for odd couple tag teams, as I can see, in kayfabe, Dain and Maverick in the studio picking their song, and compromising to this mix.

phpBB [video]
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Re: 2 Cents: Dain and Maverick's theme

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 21st, '21, 10:57

It works for what it needs to be.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 21st, '21, 11:35

If it's a comedy geek team, it's ok, but i'm sure it's gonna get over because of the lolz and they'll be champions soon

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 21st, '21, 12:02

cero2k wrote: Apr 21st, '21, 11:35 If it's a comedy geek team, it's ok, but i'm sure it's gonna get over because of the lolz and they'll be champions soon
It's already over because of the lolz. I'll object to the "comedy geek" characterization because I think the whole point of the team is that Maverick is a geek but Dain isn't, so I don't think the "the champions are comedy geeks" issue applies because the whole idea of that team is that Dain is pulling most the weight. I don't think that's a good thing for the tag division, either, but I don't think the "geeks" issue applies.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Apr 21st, '21, 12:32

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 21st, '21, 12:02
cero2k wrote: Apr 21st, '21, 11:35 If it's a comedy geek team, it's ok, but i'm sure it's gonna get over because of the lolz and they'll be champions soon
It's already over because of the lolz. I'll object to the "comedy geek" characterization because I think the whole point of the team is that Maverick is a geek but Dain isn't, so I don't think the "the champions are comedy geeks" issue applies because the whole idea of that team is that Dain is pulling most the weight. I don't think that's a good thing for the tag division, either, but I don't think the "geeks" issue applies.
I hate the word "geek" as a blanket criticism because in some cases that's the performer's greatest strength. Crash Holly comes to mind. Are Dain and Maverick the best in ring tag team? Not by a mile! But Maverick is playing to his greatest strength and that's what matters to me as a wrestling fan. Plus the theme is pretty awesome for a Def Rebel one.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 21st, '21, 17:05

NWK2000 wrote: Apr 21st, '21, 12:32
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 21st, '21, 12:02
I hate the word "geek" as a blanket criticism because in some cases that's the performer's greatest strength. Crash Holly comes to mind. Are Dain and Maverick the best in ring tag team? Not by a mile! But Maverick is playing to his greatest strength and that's what matters to me as a wrestling fan. Plus the theme is pretty awesome for a Def Rebel one.
Good point about "geek," but I think in most cases it's easy to distinguish.
And the issue remains that Drake being a geek- whether that's a good use of him or not- makes them unsuitable for anything more than a short title run at the most.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation