2 Cents: John Cena

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
Earth Child

2 Cents: John Cena

Post by Earth Child » Jul 4th, '11, 21:10

Yes it was used as the example when this section was announced but I'm going to make it anyway.

Everyone here knows my opinion of John Cena. I hate him. End of story. But amazingly enough, there are people out there who love him. Albeit it’s little kids and teenage girls. But there must be non kids/girls who like Cena.

My reasons for not liking Cena may not make sense to many but they have all accumulated into the hate you all know I have.

The first reason I started hating him was when I realised he had the gimmick of a white rapper. This was around Wrestlemania 21 so he was dissing JBL, a wrestler I highly respect. But this also goes for the times he's disrespected Wade. Strike one

The second reason was he held the belt for almost a year and everyday was like a punch in the face. A lot of people will argue that long championship reigns are better, BUT NOT WHEN CENA HAS IT!! Strike two

Another reason was Shawn Michaels, Who is in fact, my favorite wrestler OF ALL TIME (all started at Wrestlemania 12, I just say the Motor City Machine Guns are my favorite now because Shawn is retired. Got to keep things fresh!) Anyway, Michaels had to lose to Cena at Wrestlemania 23. Shawn Michaels had to put him over! I literally cried! And people were still booing him over the prepubescent cheers of the little kids. Strike three

The title of superman is reserved for a few select people, Clark Kent, Bob Brown, my Dad, Batman. Cena is not Superman therefore should not win after hitting two out of the three moves he knows. Yes I'm bringing up the old 'He has fewer moves than a dorky teenager has when trying to get lucky'. He has extremely unentertaining matches. The only way I can bare them is if he is versing someone who is entertaining. To quote the ECW fans at One Night Stand
"You Can't Wrestle clap clap clap clap clap" Strike four.

As I mentioned above, I like to keep things fresh, so the fact that Cena has been the same talentless robot for close to 7 years has also pissed me off. Now this one may not be his fault. This one can fall on the Creative Team. But please, I may give Cena back some points if they do something different with him. Get him out of the title scene, twist his gimmick a bit. MAKE HIM HEEL. For goodness sake, did they not see Hogan turn heel in WCW? Strike five. Though this point can also lose points as I LOVED what they did with Cena and Nexus, Stuff like that is what made Cena watchable for 8 months.

And so. That is my reasoning why I hate Cena and Why I shoot a cap gun at his image on my TV.

:YMPEACE: - EC

Rabid619

Re: 2 Cents: John Cena

Post by Rabid619 » Jul 4th, '11, 21:13

While might respect his work ethic, i hate him being on my TV most of the time. Its the same stuff where he makes fun of his opponent in a lame way, overcomes the odds with the same move set with little variation and wins each time. I want Cena off my TV for the time being, he may have the occasional good promo but he annoys me with his lame insults and staleness.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 4th, '11, 21:52

Earth Child wrote:
My reasons for not liking Cena may not make sense to many but they have all accumulated into the hate you all know I have.

The first reason I started hating him was when I realised he had the gimmick of a white rapper. This was around Wrestlemania 21 so he was dissing JBL, a wrestler I highly respect. But this also goes for the times he's disrespected Wade. Strike one

The second reason was he held the belt for almost a year and everyday was like a punch in the face. A lot of people will argue that long championship reigns are better, BUT NOT WHEN CENA HAS IT!! Strike two

Another reason was Shawn Michaels, Who is in fact, my favorite wrestler OF ALL TIME (all started at Wrestlemania 12, I just say the Motor City Machine Guns are my favorite now because Shawn is retired. Got to keep things fresh!) Anyway, Michaels had to lose to Cena at Wrestlemania 23. Shawn Michaels had to put him over! I literally cried! And people were still booing him over the prepubescent cheers of the little kids. Strike three

The title of superman is reserved for a few select people, Clark Kent, Bob Brown, my Dad, Batman. Cena is not Superman therefore should not win after hitting two out of the three moves he knows. Yes I'm bringing up the old 'He has fewer moves than a dorky teenager has when trying to get lucky'. He has extremely unentertaining matches. The only way I can bare them is if he is versing someone who is entertaining. To quote the ECW fans at One Night Stand

As I mentioned above, I like to keep things fresh, so the fact that Cena has been the same talentless robot for close to 7 years has also pissed me off. Now this one may not be his fault. This one can fall on the Creative Team. But please, I may give Cena back some points if they do something different with him. Get him out of the title scene, twist his gimmick a bit. MAKE HIM HEEL. For goodness sake, did they not see Hogan turn heel in WCW? Strike five. Though this point can also lose points as I LOVED what they did with Cena and Nexus, Stuff like that is what made Cena watchable for 8 months.

And so. That is my reasoning why I hate Cena and Why I shoot a cap gun at his image on my TV.

WOW! Lots of hate there, EC! And you are 100% right when you said your reasons might not make sense to some. You hated a babyface for insulting a heel? That is just... BACKWARDS!

I disagree with your other criticisms as well, but that one is just... wow.

Anyway, a lot of this seems to revolve around the fact that Cena is Cena. You don't hate everyone who holds a belt for a year. Just Cena. And you don't hate everyone who beats HBK... just Cena.

As for the "superman" argument... grrrr.... smarks piss me off. Back in the day, we called that storytelling. The heel beats the babyface down, and then the babyface comes back and wins! You are looking at things with your smark-glasses on, and they miscolor the world. As someone brought up once back on OWW- no one has ever questioned Flair's lack of moveset... so why piss on Cena for it (and, for the record, Cena has a very varied moveset. He might not be Roderick Strong or Austin Aries or CM Punk or Chris Hero or Super Dragon, but he has a varied moveset.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Jul 4th, '11, 22:11

I'm just a backwards kind of person Big Red. I love heels, hate most babyfaces.

Cena Beating Michaels was the cherry on top of my already growing dislike for him.

You're right I don't hate everyone holding the belt for a year, because I don't hate everyone like I hate Cena.

The reason I loathed his title reign is because I loath him. If you're most disliked wrestler held the belt for a year you would get antsy too.

Again, the superman thing, comes back to the fact that I hate him. Therefore I am going to find everything he does bad. Ric Flair had a 'flare' for making matches entertaining even though his moves was limited. Thats the difference.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 4th, '11, 23:02

Earth Child wrote:I'm just a backwards kind of person Big Red. I love heels, hate most babyfaces.

Cena Beating Michaels was the cherry on top of my already growing dislike for him.

You're right I don't hate everyone holding the belt for a year, because I don't hate everyone like I hate Cena.

The reason I loathed his title reign is because I loath him. If you're most disliked wrestler held the belt for a year you would get antsy too.

Again, the superman thing, comes back to the fact that I hate him. Therefore I am going to find everything he does bad. Ric Flair had a 'flare' for making matches entertaining even though his moves was limited. Thats the difference.
well said,i agree hate him too
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 5th, '11, 12:33

Earth Child wrote:I'm just a backwards kind of person Big Red. I love heels, hate most babyfaces.

I feel that part of your hate for him is the same reason i hated him, because he shouldn't be winning against some guys. During his "you can't wrestle" era, I used to hate seeing Cena beat guys like Jericho, Angle, Triple H, JBL, Eddie...cuz you know, they're better wrestlers, and i would hate that they were pushing him like, and to quote CM PUNK, "the best wrestler in the world" even though we all knew he was a limited in the ring as a valet.

Now, my take on Cena.

I don't hate the guy, i don't like him either. But i truly believe he's one of the best workers that WWE has at the moment, and has had for over 7 yrs now.

He's not a great wrestling technician, but for over 10 yrs, he's been trying to learn things here and there and has make up a decent WWE-Style moveset. It's not the 5 moves of doom anymore.

lastly, I think he's perfect with the mic, he knows how to deal with the audience, not a lot of people can in current WWE, sure he talks like a 10 yr old sometimes, but that's his thing.

one more thing. I do however dislike like crazy the fact that he hasn't changed him jean shorts in the last 5 yrs

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 6th, '11, 00:01

Earth Child wrote:Yes it was used as the example when this section was announced but I'm going to make it anyway.

Everyone here knows my opinion of John Cena. I hate him. End of story. But amazingly enough, there are people out there who love him. Albeit it’s little kids and teenage girls. But there must be non kids/girls who like Cena.

i just got the wwe magazine,,theres a giant fold out poster of him in with it..im taking it next time i go shooting an it wont be caps

kiel297

Post by kiel297 » Jul 6th, '11, 04:14

forgive me here, but most if not all your reasons fall on creative, not cena.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jul 6th, '11, 10:37

kiel297 wrote:forgive me here, but most if not all your reasons fall on creative, not cena.
which is we hate cena the inring superstar character and not johhn felix anthony cena the non kayfab human being

Verdun

Post by Verdun » Jul 6th, '11, 12:22

I'm not a Cena fan nor would I say that I like Cena.

I get tired of the limited move set they afford him and the super Cena thing.

But I will endorse Cena for one reason:
He appeals to children.

In a day and age where things are ridiculous and convoluted where being a plasticized whore who has intercourse with anything that moves warrants a TV show, John Cena stands against all that.

He represents all that is wholesome and good spouting out real moral value. He's a paragon for children to look up to.
He stands as a true babyface for children to see and look up to. He promotes the idea that good inevitable triumphs over evil; a message I like to be conveyed to children. He promotes determination, sportsmanship, never giving up, and so on.

For us adults we have CM Punk. We have Alberto Del Rio. But for the children, I think there can be nothing better than John Cena.
Lady Luck is smiling...

kirbs2002

Post by kirbs2002 » Jul 6th, '11, 13:11

Verdun wrote: But I will endorse Cena for one reason:
He appeals to children.

In a day and age where things are ridiculous and convoluted where being a plasticized whore who has intercourse with anything that moves warrants a TV show, John Cena stands against all that.

He represents all that is wholesome and good spouting out real moral value. He's a paragon for children to look up to.
He stands as a true babyface for children to see and look up to. He promotes the idea that good inevitable triumphs over evil; a message I like to be conveyed to children. He promotes determination, sportsmanship, never giving up, and so on.

For us adults we have CM Punk. We have Alberto Del Rio. But for the children, I think there can be nothing better than John Cena.
All of these, but what also makes me respect him is, when was the last time you heard him complain about what he does? Despite the common wear and tear of the business and the fact that he's on the road over 300 days out of the year, he always manages to keep a positive, heads-up attitude and fulfills all of his scheduled dates, wrestling-related (sports-entertainment-related?) and not.
Reality TV is faker than "fake" wrestling!

"The views that I'm about to express are not necessarily those of anyone else but myself, but they ought to be and, in fact, they probably are"

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 6th, '11, 17:50

I dislike John Cena for the same reason I dislike Hulk Hogan; TOO SQUEKY CLEAN!

I preferred Hollywood Hogan and the Dr. of Thugonomics bc they didn't just cater to the fans; they allowed themselves to be egotistical, like I believe every wrestler should be.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 6th, '11, 17:55

badnewzxl wrote:I dislike John Cena for the same reason I dislike Hulk Hogan; TOO SQUEKY CLEAN!

I preferred Hollywood Hogan and the Dr. of Thugonomics bc they didn't just cater to the fans; they allowed themselves to be egotistical, like I believe every wrestler should be.
I support this idea

Rabid619

Post by Rabid619 » Jul 6th, '11, 18:26

badnewzxl wrote:I dislike John Cena for the same reason I dislike Hulk Hogan; TOO SQUEKY CLEAN!

Very much this. Cena was alright in my book character wise prior to late 2006. We want to see something a little different. He's worn the same shorts for like 4 years now.

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Jul 7th, '11, 06:02

Big Red Machine wrote:no one has ever questioned Flair's lack of moveset... so why piss on Cena for it (and, for the record, Cena has a very varied moveset. He might not be Roderick Strong or Austin Aries or CM Punk or Chris Hero or Super Dragon, but he has a varied moveset.
True... though Flair does have a VERY varied moveset... just cause the WWE limited Flair during his time there doesn't mean he doesn't have one... I also say the same about John Cena... watch his matches in OVW...

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 7th, '11, 13:40

As a person, as for the most part as a character, I like what Cena stands for. His determination and endurance are inspiring, as are those traits in other characters... And his promos are humorous when they are meant to be and come off as being serious and heartfelt when it's appropriate. He's a hard worker and he clearly has a lot of passion for the industry, the company and the brand for which he works, and I appreciate that. A lot of guys who work in the industry claim they have the passion for it but you never really see it, especially guys in the WWE that get caught up in the backstage popularity contests, but Cena clearly embodies passion for the business. I admire this about him.

At the same time, I feel personally as though he is booked very poorly. The traits that the WWE seems to believe define him (his aforementioned determination and passion) are powerful tools to get him over with the crowd. but by having him win EVERY SINGLE MATCH HE'S IN, it totally defeats the purpose, and he doesn't come off as a strong willed guy who beats the odds and is a character kids can stand up to, he just comes off as being a perfect character who really has no flaws (except to those of us that notice his management-imposed limited moveset). This kind of character is hard for people to relate to because NO ONE IS PERFECT. This perfection is what irritates me, almost to the point of wishing he'd take off from the WWE for a while so I didn't have to see it every week. Even the movie roles the WWE throws at him reflect this perception of his character. It's sickening to me. If they had him lose more matches over the course of an angle, especially to a credible guy like CM Punk, but have him win the big blowoff match, not only would it make his opponent look stronger, but he would come off as a stronger character that people can relate to, rather than being "Super Cena".

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jul 8th, '11, 07:42

Serujuunin wrote:As a person, as for the most part as a character, I like what Cena stands for. His determination and endurance are inspiring, as are those traits in other characters... And his promos are humorous when they are meant to be and come off as being serious and heartfelt when it's appropriate. He's a hard worker and he clearly has a lot of passion for the industry, the company and the brand for which he works, and I appreciate that. A lot of guys who work in the industry claim they have the passion for it but you never really see it, especially guys in the WWE that get caught up in the backstage popularity contests, but Cena clearly embodies passion for the business. I admire this about him.

At the same time, I feel personally as though he is booked very poorly. The traits that the WWE seems to believe define him (his aforementioned determination and passion) are powerful tools to get him over with the crowd. but by having him win EVERY SINGLE MATCH HE'S IN, it totally defeats the purpose, and he doesn't come off as a strong willed guy who beats the odds and is a character kids can stand up to, he just comes off as being a perfect character who really has no flaws (except to those of us that notice his management-imposed limited moveset). This kind of character is hard for people to relate to because NO ONE IS PERFECT. This perfection is what irritates me, almost to the point of wishing he'd take off from the WWE for a while so I didn't have to see it every week. Even the movie roles the WWE throws at him reflect this perception of his character. It's sickening to me. If they had him lose more matches over the course of an angle, especially to a credible guy like CM Punk, but have him win the big blowoff match, not only would it make his opponent look stronger, but he would come off as a stronger character that people can relate to, rather than being "Super Cena".
WOW, Seru; great points. In that second paragraph, you said what I wanted to say but better!

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 8th, '11, 18:29

badnewzxl wrote:
Serujuunin wrote:As a person, as for the most part as a character, I like what Cena stands for. His determination and endurance are inspiring, as are those traits in other characters... And his promos are humorous when they are meant to be and come off as being serious and heartfelt when it's appropriate. He's a hard worker and he clearly has a lot of passion for the industry, the company and the brand for which he works, and I appreciate that. A lot of guys who work in the industry claim they have the passion for it but you never really see it, especially guys in the WWE that get caught up in the backstage popularity contests, but Cena clearly embodies passion for the business. I admire this about him.

WOW, Seru; great points. In that second paragraph, you said what I wanted to say but better!
Thanks Badnewz! I'm glad you agree. :)