2 Cents: The "Suicide" Treatment

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
cero2k
Site Admin

2 Cents: The "Suicide" Treatment

Post by cero2k » Aug 30th, '11, 21:31

Suicide Treatment: of the Anglo suicide treatment, it refers to changing the wrestler underneath the mask in order to keep a character alive even when the original wrestler is removed. Comes from TNA constantly changing the wrestler underneath the Suicide mask, Homicide, Kyoshi, Daniels, Red, Kaz, everyone had a chance.

Other known occurrences are the current situation between Mistico and Hunico regarding Sin Cara, or a long time ago between L. A. Park and La Parka.

soooo, now knowing about this technique, that while not often, it does happen, what is your opinion on changing the wrestler behind the mask?? is the mask more important than the wrestler?? is the wrestler more important than the mask??

yourcrapsweak

Re: 2 Cents: The "Suicide" Treatment

Post by yourcrapsweak » Aug 30th, '11, 21:37

It's been an idea forever. Remember Max Moon? I don't really care, because a gimmick is a gimmick, not a person.
"I was trending worldwide on Twitter once. And then I looked in my wallet, and there was no money in there."
-Kevin Steen

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 30th, '11, 22:00

yourcrapsweak wrote:It's been an idea forever. Remember Max Moon? I don't really care, because a gimmick is a gimmick, not a person.
I imagine it works for some, but right now try to switch Generico or Delirious?? how would you feel about that??

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 30th, '11, 22:07

It doesn't work if the person is established at all, and generally, it shouldn't be done.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Aug 31st, '11, 00:30

I'm not really sure about it right now because the only exposure I've had personally to such a thing is from Hunico/Mistico and Sin Cara. For a while it made all the difference in the world because Hunico didn't "screw up" as much as Mistico did, but in light of recent events it really doesn't seem to matter. As long as the guy fits the bill, why not?

Styles

Post by Styles » Aug 31st, '11, 01:22

Big Red Machine wrote:It doesn't work if the person is established at all, and generally, it shouldn't be done.
Here Here.

I get that WWE created the character and put the man in there, but it just doesn't work. It's like changing an actor for the sequel. You notice, it's never quite as good and it brings it down.

While I like Hunico, I believe he should just be Hunico.

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Aug 31st, '11, 07:06

depends on how long a wrestler has been under the mask. for example, trying to put another wrestler under the Mil Mascaras mask & calling him that would be wrong because the wrestler & the mask have been togetrher so long... but in a situation like Doink where the wrestler under it changes every few months I don't think its a big deal. In the Sin Cara case, it was set up for one guy but he screws up while the character is over I think its ok to put someone else under the mask while its over...

Styles

Post by Styles » Aug 31st, '11, 07:10

ECWFlairfan wrote: I think its ok to put someone else under the mask while its over...

The other side of the coin, while his mask his popular, he's still not that over. you can straight up tell WWE wanted him to be more over by now. WWE could almost drop the gimmick entirely with minimal backlash. They'd need an onscreen explanation, but no-one would cry over the loss.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 31st, '11, 10:34

While most times the switcheroo goes virtually unnoticed by the casual fan, I don't like it. Once the switch is known, the character loses all dignity and credibility. Suicide, for example, I felt TNA had no stock what-so-ever in the character once I found out there were different guys under the mask.

In today's relevant case, Sin Cara, I feel is almost worse than most. WWE introduced us to the character as Mexico's top talent. I'm remembering the press conference where they unveiled the mask, I know they revealed it in an 'out with the old, in with the new' kind of way, showing Mystico's mask and replacing it with Sin Cara's. They might have even used Mystico's name, I don't remember. Hunico under the mask is a lie! I like Hunico in the role more than Mystico, but 75% of Sin Cara's appeal was that we all knew it was Mystico, an international superstar, under the mask. The other 25%? A luchador in a blue mask, which is basically what we're left with. Why not let Hunico be Hunico? Answer: A Clearance Sale on the masks they produced wouldn't clear the inventory. This excuses it from a business standpoint, but the innocent fan in me is screaming fowl.

I like Cero's example of Generico and Delirious. Anyone other than the original is an insult to the fan's intelligence. From Sin Cara, to Suicide, to Doink the Clown, to Executioners, Assassins, and Conquistadors. It's really no different than dressing Percy Watson up as Kharma like I joked about a few weeks ago.

The only time I can think of where the switcheroo is remotely acceptable are angles like Owen and Jarrett playing The Blue Blazer, where the true identity of the character IS the angle.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 31st, '11, 11:55

Bob-O wrote:
In today's relevant case, Sin Cara, I feel is almost worse than most. WWE introduced us to the character as Mexico's top talent. I'm remembering the press conference where they unveiled the mask, I know they revealed it in an 'out with the old, in with the new' kind of way, showing Mystico's mask and replacing it with Sin Cara's. They might have even used Mystico's name, I don't remember. Hunico under the mask is a lie! I like Hunico in the role more than Mystico, but 75% of Sin Cara's appeal was that we all knew it was Mystico, an international superstar, under the mask. The other 25%? A luchador in a blue mask, which is basically what we're left with. Why not let Hunico be Hunico? Answer: A Clearance Sale on the masks they produced wouldn't clear the inventory. This excuses it from a business standpoint, but the innocent fan in me is screaming fowl.
THIS. what gets me the most is that the E keeps promoting Sin Cara as if Mistico was still under the mask, the commentators sell him as having this epic history and accomplishments, but if Hunico gets to keep his mask, then he's not only taking Mistico's job, but his overall identity, Hunico would get an epic career out of nowhere.