2 Cents: Does Being Live Matter

Get your opinions out
Forum rules
All Topics must start with "2 cents:" continued by the wrestler, event, segment, match being talked about.

example:
2 cents: John Cena
Big Red Machine

2 Cents: Does Being Live Matter

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 1st, '12, 07:36

I have heard a lot of people saying that they think that being live will help or has helped TNA. I just don't see it at all. I don't enjoy Raw any more than I do Impact, Smackdown, FCW, or ROH due to the fact t hat it is live. Knowing that I am watching something that is taped has no bearing on my enjoyment of the show at all.

What about you guys? Does being live make something more enjoyable to you?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Serujuunin

Re: 2 Cents: Does Being Live Matter

Post by Serujuunin » Jun 1st, '12, 10:33

Doesn't make much difference for me whether it's live on TV or not. I wouldn't especially like to see them redo the finish of a match three times on live TV like they did when we saw Smackdown live. :P

Seriously though, there are benefits to being taped that I don't think you get with live TV. But in this era of social networking I think being live gives you more opportunities for fan input.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 1st, '12, 11:43

I don't think it should personally matter for the promotion or the wrestlers whether is live or not, thus it shouldn't really matter in terms of quality of the show...

furthermore, i think it just makes the show a bit more real when you can't re-take a fuck up, and most importantly, it forces everyone to 1-up their work. You can't just afford to let someone come out and screw up. This eventually filters out the bad talent.

however, personally, I prefer a live show just because i don't get spoiled. I hadn't watched TNA impact for more than a year simply because i already knew what was happening, and by the time the show came out, i had already heard about all the things that were gonna me make facepalm. Same with Smackdown. Now however, with a live Impact, i'm more willing to watch it (if there is no other thing worth doing) just to see what happens. That's why i watch RAW, cuz things happen there and no one can anticipate them.

You may say, well, don't read spoilers. It's not that easy, i have to spend at least 1 hr reading wrestling news here and there for the site. sadly, i can never go spoiler free

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Jun 1st, '12, 15:21

the big reason going live helps is that ppl can't completely spoil your show. That's a major benefit of going live.

Personally, tho, it doesn't matter much to me. I read spoilers and still watch.....

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 1st, '12, 21:59

It's always mattered to me. Spoilers do play a part, I can't just NOT read them. They're there. It's like, a secret..... that I CAN BE IN ON. I don't have the will power! If it's there, I gotta know! I gotta be in on that crap, man!

I can't DVR sporting events either. If I've gotta work through The Steeler's game, or whatever, I'll have it on the radio. If I can't do that, I'm on my phone checking the score every five minutes. Watching something I know already happened just isn't as good.

Watching something live makes it an event. Watching a produced recording makes it a television program. Both are good, but I'd rather be watching an event. The live factor makes me feel involved.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 2nd, '12, 20:05

Bob-O wrote:
Watching something live makes it an event. Watching a produced recording makes it a television program. Both are good, but I'd rather be watching an event. The live factor makes me feel involved.
Okay, this I can sort of understand, although Raw never felt that much different to me, but PPVs do.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 2nd, '12, 20:09

Big Red Machine wrote:
Bob-O wrote:
Okay, this I can sort of understand, although Raw never felt that much different to me, but PPVs do.
one thing to consider where live does indeed matter. things like Nexus, Punk's promo, Lesnar's return. those things wouldn't work on a pre-taped show. or wouldn't create the impact that they created

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 2nd, '12, 20:28

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
Bob-O wrote:
one thing to consider where live does indeed matter. things like Nexus, Punk's promo, Lesnar's return. those things wouldn't work on a pre-taped show. or wouldn't create the impact that they created
Sure they would, if people were spoiler free. You would still have 99% of the people see it at the same time.

Obviously if they had done it taped it would have gotten spoiled, but that doesn't effect the feel of it (at least not to me).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Bad Booty Daddy

Post by Big Bad Booty Daddy » Jun 3rd, '12, 15:38

It doesn't really bother me whether it's live or not. If the programme is entertaining then I'll enjoy it either way

I agree with Badnewz if it is live then no-one can spoil it for u by telling u the results. Tbh us brits sometimes don't get to see "live shows" that often anyway

For example TNA is filmed on Thursday's(??) in the US. Yet we see it on Sundays then repeated on Tuesdays

Same with their PPV's. I'm sure we usually see them on Wednesday nights

RedSon

Post by RedSon » Jun 4th, '12, 15:40

the only way i think it matters is when they do the taping with several weeks in advanced. Smackdown is ok because it's taped three days before. but when TNA was doing tapings like 3 weeks prior, or how ROH is doing it right now, it is a pain in the ass. by the time you see the show, either you're spoiled, or they're using references that may not be relevant anymore. When Roderick Strong won the tv title, it was followed by a roh tv taping where lethal still had it!! it was annoying as hell!!
The Man That Gravity Forgot!