BRM Reviews wXw We Love Wrestling #38

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews wXw We Love Wrestling #38

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 22nd, '23, 21:36

wXw We Love Wrestling #38 (10/15/2022)- Bielefeld, Germany

DAN INTERVIEWS ROBERT DREISSKER & LAURANCE ROMAN OF AMBOSS- fine
Dreissker was- in my mind, rightly- upset that Dan wondered if Icarus having to team with Dreissker instead of his usual partner, Dover (who was injured by Amboss’ enemies as revenge for them doing the same to someone else) resulted in them not winning the tournament. Driessker said that Icarus is one of the best tag team wrestlers in the world, and he himself is a four-time wXw World Tag Team Champion, having held the titles with everyone from a “superstar like Gunther” to a nobody like Anil Marik. They were clearly a formidable team.
He says that they will take their anger out on their opponents tonight. I hope that name-dropping Anil means that he will be returning from injury soon.

ELIJAH BLUM vs. ROBERT DREISSKER- 4.25/10
Blum did a fine job of being the undersized and underexperienced but eager and determined babyface. Avalanche won cleanly, and put a bit of an unnecessary beating on him at the end.

DAN INTERVIEWS THE FRENCHADORS- great
Aigle Blanc has turned into a fine little talker. He explained they are defending the titles against Pretty Bastards who are the only team who beat them in World Tag Team Festival, but unlike in the World Tag Team Festival, if they slip up tonight, they lose it all.
Senza Volto then explained the spot from their tag team title win where decided that winning the titles was more important than protecting his identity after his mask had been pulled off.

BOBBY GUNNS vs. NICK SCHREIER- 4.5/10
Gunns won cleanly, but for the second match in a row, we have a young kid putting up a better fight than expected against a top name. Unlike Dreissker, Gunns showed his opponent respect after the match.

VIDEO FROM NORMAN HARRAS EXPLAINING THE NEXT MATCH- good
Norman says that if Heisenberg and Jurn Simmons can’t settle their differences by fighting each other, perhaps they will settle them by learning to work together, so he is booking them as a team against Rott & Flott. The preceding video package made it clear that this is Norman trying to f*ck with Jurn because Jurn taking out Heisenberg at World Tag Team Festival 2022: Night 2 thwarted Norman’s plan to screw Levaniel out of his world title shot.

ROTT & FLOTT vs. JURN SIMMONS & VINCENT HEISENBERG- no rating, decent segment
Teams not entering one after the other drives me nuts. Why not just have Rott & Flott enter first, then have Jurn enter, then Heisenberg?
Anyway, Jurn and Heisenberg just brawled with each other. At one point Rott & Flott pushed them to the outside so they got counted out as they kept brawling. Heisenberg hit Jurn with weapons, then buried him under debris. This feud is definitely getting repetitive, but I did like that they came up with a reason for Jurn and Heisenberg to be in the same place (rather than one of them just going around backstage to find the other), and they did so in a way that also allows them to show our heel authority figure being vindictive, but with the necessary plausible deniability as well.

MICHAEL KNIGHT vs. TRISTAN ARCHER- 8/10
I was completely shocked to learn that our reigning wXw Unified World Wrestling Champion Tristan Archer is 0-5 in his wXw career against Michael Knight. Archer did manage to beat him here (and cleanly, too), but it took one hell of an effort. They had it to the point where I was pretty sure that Knight was going to pick up the win and set up a title shot down the line against either Archer or Levaniel.

DAN INTERVIEWS BABY ALLISON- good
Allison is upset about how World Tag Team Festival weekend went, with her finally losing her title after being constantly forced to defend it by Norman Harras, and with Prince Ahura leaving Maggot out to dry on Night 2. She criticized Maggot for seeming all chummy with Ahura again by the end of their tag team match on Night 3.

AVA EVERETT vs. BABY ALLISON- 5/10
Allison won clean.

DANNY FRAY vs. LAURANCE ROMAN- 4.5/10
Roman worked the and got the submission victory. He refused to let the hold up for a few seconds after the bell.

DAN INTERVIEWS THE PRETTY BASTARDS- good
Ahura was a jerk both in the way he talked about Maggot’s relationship with Baby Allison and Maggot having the Shotgun Title (Maggot is the rightful champion. Ahura- who was stripped of the belt last year when he was suspended- came back wearing a replica belt and has been carrying it around). They argued. They asked the interviewer to end the interview, and while he left, the camera was not turned off, so we got to see them be a lot more confrontational that they were when they thought the camera was on.

wXw WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Frenchadors(c) vs. Pretty Bastards- 8/10
When Maggot was doing the big punches in the corner, they cut to and stayed on a camera that exposed the fact that he was making no contact. That’s inexcusable on a taped show.
Pretty Bastards had trouble getting along early on, but they got on the same page soon enough and got themselves into the match. The match was excellent… until the frustrating no contest finish. Said finish was Rott & Flott running in and attacking both teams. Rott & Flott then cut a promo claiming that they made the belts important and that it was a disgrace that the Frenchadors were holding them and other heel things. As much as I hated the DQ and don’t think Rott & Flott are a top-level team, I do sympathize with them a bit because having the belts just awarded to the winner of a tournament is silly.

This was a decent little show from wXw, dealing with the fallout of World Tag Team Festival (there were a lot of recap packages, too) and beginning the next chapters of the stories. We also got two 8/10 matches, which is two more than we usually get on We Love Wrestling.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3