NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW Road To Destruction 2019 ~ Blue Justice IX ~

Post by cero2k » Sep 11th, '19, 19:22

NJPW Road To Destruction ~ Blue Justice IX ~
September 8, 2019
Togane, Chiba, Japan

This is Nagata's big show of the year, so while we're still building the same matches, the old timers take center stage tonight.

12th Young Lion Cup League Match
Yota Tsuji vs. Yuya Uemura - 6/10
So every show so far has one technical YLC match, and the other being more of a brawl style match. This was 100% the technical, they did mostly chain wrestling and kept it friendly and competitive. They later on got into striking and Tsuji got to show a new move in his arsenal -- The Giant Swing. Tsuji transitioned from the swing into a Boston Crab to submit Uemura. Good basic opener.

12th Young Lion Cup League Match
Ren Narita vs. Shota Umino - 7/10
They were hot early on, Umino was definitely going for a more aggressive stance. Now that they have signature moves, they traded them for a bit before Umino tried to submit Narita. Finishing sequence saw Narita counter the Fisherman Suplex into a Small Package, Umino kicked out, hit a Spinebuster, Dropkick, and a German for the win. I can't see any other ending to this tournament than Umino winning and starting his excursion.

Post-match - Aside from Sabre, not gets more pissed at losing than Narita.

Alex Coughlin, Clark Connors, Karl Fredericks & Michael Richards vs. Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI - 6.5/10
I really really hope that Ishii can stay healthy and at this level for a couple of years more for Coughlin to get some more experience. They paired up here and you could tell that Coughlin was star-struck and nervous, but their pair up was the highlight of the match. Makabe was another that was over tonight, I guess since we don't see him around as often.

I also need to mention that in a group with Young Lions and Honma, it was YOSHI-HASHI the one that played babyface in peril. What a fucking geek. He did submit Richards with the Butterfly Lock, but still a huge geek. Ok match aside from Coughlin vs Ishii.

Birds Of Prey & Toa Henare vs. BULLET CLUB (Chase Owens, El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori) - 6.5/10
Another good display of team chemistry and team moves by BoP, but that was it. Henare got worked on by BC and their 2014 PWG Young Buck moveset. Chase pinned Henare with the PP.

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi, SHO & YOH vs. Suzuki-gun (DOUKI, Minoru Suzuki, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Zack Sabre Jr.) - 7/10
This was fun, it was all over the place, and I was really surprised that it was SHO that took the pin, considering that YOH and DOUKI are both there and I just find SHO to be the future of the division. Another surprise here was that it was the babyfaces that jumped the heels before the bell, which I guess is more of a smarter move a this point when facing Suzuki-Gun.

Match just consisted of Suzuki and Sabre, with some cameos, working over YOH and then SHO until they won. We had some Taguchi comedy, some cheating, Tanahashi running wild, but this was totally the Suzuki and Sabre show. Sabre submitted SHO with a Sabre Submission #73.

CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Kazuchika Okada & Rocky Romero) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, SANADA & Shingo Takagi) - 6.5/10
Can I just copy paste the same stuff from the 9.6 show? Romero looked good tonight going against SANADA, who also had a good sequence with Okada, and yes, Shingo vs Goto was also great. SANADA submitted Romero with the Skull End.

BULLET CLUB (Gedo & Jay White) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL & Tetsuya Naito) - 7.5/10
Nothing against Gedo, but this got really unbalanced as him being EVIL's counter. His heel tactics are good to keep him off his game, but EVIL is the powerhouse of LIJ going against the Jr. Heavyweight trickster. They still managed to get heat over EVIL for most of the match. Again, the thing that shone the best was Naito's an White's chemistry.

Yuji Nagata 35th Anniversary Ten Man Tag Team Match
BULLET CLUB (Bad Luck Fale, Jado, Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa & Yujiro Takahashi) vs. Third Generation Club (Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jushin Thunder Liger, Manabu Nakanishi, Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata) - 6.5/10
Old Timers vs Bullet Club, this was obviously not going to be a barn burner or a classic, but BC gave a lot to the Grandpa team, Liger, Kojima, and Nagata are all still good in the ring, and so at the end, we had a good, fun, and feel good main event.

Match saw Liger and Kojima get worked on. Nakanishi faced off against Fale, and after shenanigans, Nagata was left alone with Jado to submit with a Crossface. Like I said, this was mostly feel good stuff and a nice treat since I hadn't seen Nagata in a while.

Post-match - Nagata thanked the crowd and said he hopes to be able to do this show again next year for the 10th anniversary once again in his hometown.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Ok show, 100% skippable unless you care for Nagata or are following the YLC.