BRM Reviews NJPW Destruction in Kagoshima (BIRDS OF PREY VS. BULLET CLUB!)

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews NJPW Destruction in Kagoshima (BIRDS OF PREY VS. BULLET CLUB!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 19th, '19, 23:44

NJPW Destruction in Kagoshima (9/16/2019)- Kagoshima, Japan

YOUNG LIONS CUP LEAGUE MATCH: Clark Connors vs. Yuya Uemura- 6.25/10

YOUNG LIONS CUP LEAGUE MATCH: Michael Richards vs. Ren Narita- 6/10

KARL FREDERICKS, ALEX COUGHLIN, MANABU NAKANISHI & TOA HENARE vs. RYUSUKE TAGUCHI, SHOTA UMINO, YOTA TSUJI, & YUJI NAGATA- 4.5/10
Having the Young Lions take the fall in these matches makes me a lot less interested in who wins their ongoing tournament.

CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI, & Roppongi 3K) vs. BULLET CLUB (Guerrillas of Destiny, Chase Owens, & Bad Luck Fale)- 4/10
CHAOS jump the bell on Bullet Club, which I’m fine with because of how often Bullet Club do it to them. Bullet Club wind up quickly in control and False abuses the referee for no reason and doesn’t get DQed. The usual bullsh*t on the outside happened while the referee took forever to start counting them out. YOSHI-HASHI got a roll-up pin on Tama Tonga, then had some sort of celebratory seizure or something. Then he got beaten up by the heels.

HIROSHI TAHANASHI, JUSHIN “THUNDER” LIGER, TOGI MAKABE, & TOMOAKI HONMA vs. SUZUKI-GUN (Minoru Suzuki, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, DOUKI, & Zack Sabre Jr.)- DUD!
Suzuki-Gun jumped the bell on their opponents and we immediately spill to the outside. Stuff happened, and eventually the babyfaces got the advantage back. Suzuki shoved down a referee, which was not a DQ. He then got a chair and shoved the referee down when the referee tried to take it from him, then hit Liger with it. This, apparently, was a DQ. The reason this was a DQ tonight and not in every other Suzuki-Gun match where the same thing happens is…?

Also, Zack Sabre Jr. won the RPW Undisputed British Heavyweight Title back from Tanahashi last night, a mere two and a half weeks after winning it. Tanahashi made ZERO successful defenses, and wrestled ZERO match in RevPro as champion. What was the point of changing the title then? All they did was cheapen it?

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Suzuki ripped Liger’s mask off. This feud has been going on for about five months with zero movement. WHY THE F*CK COULDN’T THIS HAVE HAPPEEND THREE MONTHS AGO?! I’m already well past the point of caring about a singles match between these two. I also find it hard to care about Suzuki ripping off Liger’s mask when I remember all of the other times that someone ripped someone else’s mask off in New Japan and it didn’t lead to sh*t.

LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (Shingo Takagi, Sanada, & BUSHI) vs. CHAOS (Rocky Romero, Kazuchika Okada, & Hirooki Goto)- 6.5/10

LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (Tetsuya Naito & EVIL) vs. BULLET CLUB (Yujiro Takahashi & Jay White) (w/Gedo)- 6.25/10
Bullet Club jumped the bell but LIJ were ready for them so their attack failed. Unfortunately, this did not stop us from spilling to the outside for the usual bullsh*t. EVIL pinned Yujiro (as if there was any other possible outcome).

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
White tried to attack Naito but again Naito was ready for it so his attack failed. Then Naito got way too close to White while taunting him, allowing White to hit him in the nuts.

IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Bullet Club (El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori)(c) vs. Birds of Prey (Will Ospreay & Robbie Eagles)- 9.5/10
OUTSTANDING junior heavyweight tag team action!

G1 BRIEFCASE MATCH: Kota Ibushi(c) vs. KENTA- 4/10
KENTA jumps the bell on Ibushi. Heels jump the bell on their opponents in basically every match on the card in NJPW (this is the fourth bell-jumping on this show alone!) and the referee always responds by just calling for the bell… but not this time. This time f*cking Red Shoes has to get in KENTA’s face and start lecturing him. Why doesn’t Red Shoes react this way every other time this same thing happens?
Then KENTA- the heel- picks up Ibushi’s G1 briefcase- a weapon- and ignores Red Shoes’ demand to hand it over… and Red Shoes responds to the heel ignoring his demand to hand over a weapon by TURNING HIS BACK TO THE WRESTLERS. You don’t get any points for guessing what happened.
KENTA stomps and the briefcase and wastes a bunch of time cutting a promo while Red Shoes and medics tend to Ibushi and make sure he can still go, even though in nearly every match in this promotion starts with someone jumping the bell and the referee responds by just ordering the bell rung, this time is different for no explained reason. If you’re going to bury WWE for their storyline inconsistencies, you’ve got to treat New Japan the same way.
We finally start when Ibushi says he’s okay, at which point KENTA hits the same running kick for a nearfall, then dumps Ibushi to the outside for the customary whipping someone into the barricades… because while we can’t be consistent with the rules in this promotion, we do have to be consistent by having this same spot in every single match. This goes on for several minutes while Red Shoes does not count them out. When KENTA finally rolls back into the ring, Red Shoes goes out to check on Ibushi. If you were so concerned about his health then why didn’t you go check on him before?
We eventually get the obligatory Count-Out Tease That No One Ever Buys, but when Ibushi makes it back into the ring, KENTA throws him back out to the outside for more whipping into the barricade. KENTA drags Ibushi into the stands while Red Shoes still doesn’t count anyone out. Then KENTA hit Ibushi with a DDT on the floor. Like last time- hey! Some consistency- Red Shoes waits until KENTA is back in the ring before checking on Ibushi, but then, unlike last time, instead of beginning to count Ibushi out after confirming that he is still able to continue, Red Shoes begins to yell at KENTA for clapping, because Red Shoes is more concerned with being the referee who gets in the heels face than he is with doing his f*cking job right. He finally did start counting, but Ibushi made it back in time. Shocking, I know.
I found this entire first part of the match both frustrating and boring. You can probably already tell what frustrated me, but the fact that they basically did the same thing twice just made it worse. All you needed is to send Ibushi to out the outside, do some barricade whips if you absolutely must, then do the DDT onto the floor for the count-out tease. You don’t need to a count-out tease for the barricade whips, then do some more barricade whips and the DDT for yet another one. Less is more.
Ibushi got to be defiant in the corner and finally fired off his first offense of the match in the form of a few forearms to the face but KENTA cut him off with a kick to the midsection, followed by a grounded headlock… and I would honestly rather see a headlock that at least has the heel focusing on the injured body part of the babyface than see meaningless whips into the railing.
We got stereotypical “defiant exchanges of strikes,” followed by another trip to the outside. This time they were out there so KENTA could work over Kota’s knee. Red Shoes once again didn’t count them out, but he did come over to stop KENTA from using a chair. Then KENTA shoved Red Shoes and used the chair anyway but wasn’t disqualified. Also, I assume we were supposed to think that the chairshot hit Ibushi’s knee (I don’t think hitting the top of the guardrail with Ibushi’s knee wrapped around it like that would actually hurt his knee any more), but it pretty clearly didn’t come close.
The match is basically “KENTA beats up Ibushi very badly, then KENTA gets cocky and starts taunting Ibushi. Ibushi defiantly fires up and they trade strikes until KENTA wins the exchange” and the cycle repeats. Kota’s selling was great… except when he was on offense, at which point he just stopped selling.
And, of course, we got a f*cking ref bump. This one happened when KENTA just grabbed Red Shoes and took him down for no reason other than to bump him. He was not DQed for this. The Guerrillas of Destiny ran in just so Kota could knock them down. Kota hit a big running knee for a nearfall but Red Shoes got pulled out of the ring. This was also not a DQ. Finally we had some people (Ishii and YOSHI-HASHI) run in to help Kota. Why doesn’t his happen every time Bullet Club pulls this bullsh*t? Also, is this a perfect example of overbooking that I wouldn’t have minded if NJPW didn’t do run-ins so damn often.
The interlopers left and Red Shoes crawled back into the ring as KENTA and Ibushi engaged in a “forearm battle while standing up” spot that felt pathetically cliched at this point. Kamagoyes were exchanged until Ibushi got the win with one. At no point did I think the briefcase would change hands due to the way the G1 was booked, so this was just a long, repetitive match with obnoxiously bad refereeing and an annoying run-in that failed to give itself the benefit of a compelling story to help me care.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Ibushi vowed to have both top belts when he next returned to this building.

This was pretty much a one-match show from New Japan. The undercard was typically pointless the main event was disappointing, so the Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title match had to carry all of the weight. It put up an extremely valiant effort, but as amazing as that match was, it didn’t make it feel worth my time to have sat through the entire show, making this show still a failure.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews NJPW Destruction in Kagoshima (BIRDS OF PREY VS. BULLET CLUB!)

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 26th, '19, 08:26

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 19th, '19, 23:44

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Suzuki ripped Liger’s mask off. This feud has been going on for about five months with zero movement. WHY THE F*CK COULDN’T THIS HAVE HAPPEEND THREE MONTHS AGO?! I’m already well past the point of caring about a singles match between these two. I also find it hard to care about Suzuki ripping off Liger’s mask when I remember all of the other times that someone ripped someone else’s mask off in New Japan and it didn’t lead to sh*t.
The reason why Suzuki is doing this is because he wants to fight Kishin Liger, The build to this is plain to see if you watch any of the post match stuff. In fact, the poster literally features Kishin on it, so I dunno where you're getting this "build to nothing" nonsense

https://culturedvultures.com/njpw-news- ... ru-suzuki/
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 26th, '19, 08:50

NWK2000 wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 08:26

The reason why Suzuki is doing this is because he wants to fight Kishin Liger, The build to this is plain to see if you watch any of the post match stuff. In fact, the poster literally features Kishin on it, so I dunno where you're getting this "build to nothing" nonsense

Not Kishin, but Keiichi Yamada. The story is that about 20 yrs ago or so, Liger and Suzuki had a Pancrase style match, Suzuki beat the shit out of Liger, and Liger told Suzuki to give him some months to train and he would want a second match, Liger never trained and the match never happened, now Suzuki wanted to force Liger to drop the mask and stay true to his word as Keiichi, since he doesn't want Liger to retire without giving Suzuki the chance to beat the shit out of him again. Problem is that he asked the wrong way and what's underneath the Liger Mask is not Keiichi, but Kishin Liger.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Sep 26th, '19, 09:36

cero2k wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 08:50

Not Kishin, but Keiichi Yamada. The story is that about 20 yrs ago or so, Liger and Suzuki had a Pancrase style match, Suzuki beat the shit out of Liger, and Liger told Suzuki to give him some months to train and he would want a second match, Liger never trained and the match never happened, now Suzuki wanted to force Liger to drop the mask and stay true to his word as Keiichi, since he doesn't want Liger to retire without giving Suzuki the chance to beat the shit out of him again. Problem is that he asked the wrong way and what's underneath the Liger Mask is not Keiichi, but Kishin Liger.

Oh my God that's the dumbest
Suzuki: I want to fight you in a shoot
Liger: Cool I'll bring my demon powers
Suzuki: No that's not...
Liger: LOOPHOLES BITCH!
I love pro wresting
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 26th, '19, 18:04

Because I've seen people go after each other's masks and rip masks of in NJPW time and again for the past five years and never once has it led to anything.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 26th, '19, 18:23

And the 50+ times they've been in on opposite sides in matches over the intervening seventeen years don't count because... Pancrase is real and New Japan isn't? But this New Japan match will totally be real. Did Gedo get replaced by a booking team led by Inoki and Russo?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 26th, '19, 19:17

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 18:23

And the 50+ times they've been in on opposite sides in matches over the intervening seventeen years don't count because... Pancrase is real and New Japan isn't? But this New Japan match will totally be real. Did Gedo get replaced by a booking team led by Inoki and Russo?
one vs one? I don't think they've had singles matches. Everyone knows problems aren't solved in tag matches

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 28th, '19, 21:54

cero2k wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 19:17
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 26th, '19, 18:23

one vs one? I don't think they've had singles matches. Everyone knows problems aren't solved in tag matches
This is a problem that can be solved in a tag match, though. Suzuki wants to beat the crap out of Liger. That's all their is to it. He doesn't want to best him one-on-one because he's already done that. The story as the two of you have relayed it is that he wants to inflict pain on Liger for his cowardice. There is no reason he can't do that in a tag match. In fact, he has been.
Face it: This story is full of holes, and you're all just going along with it because New Japan.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 30th, '19, 09:48

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 28th, '19, 21:54
This is a problem that can be solved in a tag match, though. Suzuki wants to beat the crap out of Liger. That's all their is to it. He doesn't want to best him one-on-one because he's already done that. The story as the two of you have relayed it is that he wants to inflict pain on Liger for his cowardice. There is no reason he can't do that in a tag match. In fact, he has been.
Face it: This story is full of holes, and you're all just going along with it because New Japan.
where's the drama in building to a tag match for a singles blood feud? where's the honor to beating him in a tag match where other people are involved, and for that matter, why risk losing the match because of other people? injuries heal, Ls in your record on your way to retirement, those don't.

I'm going along with it because it's been awesome and I like wrestling. A few plot holes that only you seem to notice doesn't take anything away.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 1st, '19, 23:40

cero2k wrote: Sep 30th, '19, 09:48
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 28th, '19, 21:54
where's the drama in building to a tag match for a singles blood feud? where's the honor to beating him in a tag match where other people are involved, and for that matter, why risk losing the match because of other people? injuries heal, Ls in your record on your way to retirement, those don't.

You're missing my point entirely. I'm not saying they should build up to a tag match to blow this off. I'm saying that the entire premise of the feud is flawed because Suzuki has beaten Liger up countless times between then and now, and does so in every tag match they have (and they have been been facing off in tag matches on pretty much every tour for six months now).

Even I probably could have gone along with this if they had framed it as Suzuki wanting to give Liger "one last beating" or something like that, but in order to make that work they would have had to break form their usual booking pattern and barely have these two touch... which they would never do because Gedo will never break from his patterns.
cero2k wrote: Sep 30th, '19, 09:48 I'm going along with it because it's been awesome and I like wrestling. A few plot holes that only you seem to notice doesn't take anything away.
Which is fine... provided that you're willing to extend the same lack of scrutiny to every over company's storylines.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 2nd, '19, 10:38

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 1st, '19, 23:40
You're missing my point entirely. I'm not saying they should build up to a tag match to blow this off. I'm saying that the entire premise of the feud is flawed because Suzuki has beaten Liger up countless times between then and now, and does so in every tag match they have (and they have been been facing off in tag matches on pretty much every tour for six months now).

Even I probably could have gone along with this if they had framed it as Suzuki wanting to give Liger "one last beating" or something like that, but in order to make that work they would have had to break form their usual booking pattern and barely have these two touch... which they would never do because Gedo will never break from his patterns.
This is wrestling, it's not a beating if you're not defeating someone directly, Suzuki hasn't pinned or submitted Liger. if someone isn't down for a 3 count, there's still beating up left to do. I understand exactly what you're saying, but this is like asking why do blood feuds wait for ringbells and pins when they could just beat each other up on the street, it's because this is wrestling and we build up to matches, this isn't doing Liger vs Suzuki to build to Liger vs Suzuki again at the PPV.

I don't see this as a plot hole by pro wrestling standards, it's just normal storyline progression to the big one-on-one match. Suzuki WANTS a one-on-one match, he said it in one of the first promos from the Destruction tour. Maybe it's just lost in translation that 'beat up' actually refers to 'defeat'. Do you check out the backstage promos at all?
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 1st, '19, 23:40 Which is fine... provided that you're willing to extend the same lack of scrutiny to every over company's storylines.
Some promotions make it really easy for me to notice.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 2nd, '19, 17:45

cero2k wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 10:38
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 1st, '19, 23:40

This is wrestling, it's not a beating if you're not defeating someone directly, Suzuki hasn't pinned or submitted Liger. if someone isn't down for a 3 count, there's still beating up left to do. I understand exactly what you're saying, but this is like asking why do blood feuds wait for ringbells and pins when they could just beat each other up on the street, it's because this is wrestling and we build up to matches, this isn't doing Liger vs Suzuki to build to Liger vs Suzuki again at the PPV.

I don't see this as a plot hole by pro wrestling standards, it's just normal storyline progression to the big one-on-one match. Suzuki WANTS a one-on-one match, he said it in one of the first promos from the Destruction tour. Maybe it's just lost in translation that 'beat up' actually refers to 'defeat'. Do you check out the backstage promos at all?

[/quote]
In that case the storyline doesn't make sense, though. Suzuki beat Liger once a long time ago and Liger said he would train for a rematch but chickened out so now Suzuki wants to defeat him in a wrestling match again? Why? What is there for Suzuki to prove? What is his motivation for wanting this match? If the idea is that he wants to hurt Liger for being a coward then the story makes sense, as Suzuki has been waiting all these years for Liger to say "I'm ready for that rematch now, Suzuki" and now Liger has announced his retirement without taking any steps to set up the match, thus proving his cowardice.

I will also dispute that this feud has been progressing. Building up to matches requires the f*cking plot to advance, which it failed to at all until this tour, even though they've been on opposite sides on pretty much every show since April other than the G1 tour. Why did they have tag matches for five straight months before Suzuki finally came out and said that he wants a singles match with Liger? This should have blown off with a singles match at Dominion to free Liger up to do other cool stuff in his final year. Instead they've wasted five months with him having the same meaningless tag match every single night.

I watch the backstage promos when I have time, but usually rely on other's reviews to translate.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation