Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW New Japan Road 2020

Post by cero2k » Jul 21st, '20, 12:23

NJPW New Japan Road 2020
July 20th, 2020
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan

I really don't know why this isn't called "Road to Sengoku-Lord"

Yuya Uemura & Yota Tsuji vs TenCozy - 6.5/10
Good stuff, Uemura and Tsuji were great, even if most of the match was against Tenzan. Uemura was chopping like there's no tomorrow. The final minutes between Kojima and Uemura were great, Uemura has really surpassed all the LA and Japan Dojo students. Kojima won with a Lariat.

CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, YOSHI-HASHI, & SHO) vs Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Ryusuke Taguchi, & Gabriel Kidd - 6.5/10
Pretty good, it had a little bit of everything. Ishii and Honma had a good chop exchange, Taguchi did comedy, and at the end, Yano beat Kidd with a low blow and roll up.

Backstage, during the promos, Kidd was telling Makabe that the wanted the old Makabe back for Nagoya.

Suzuki-Gun (El Desperado & DOUKI) vs Los Ingobernables de Japon (Shingo Takagi & SANADA) - 7/10
SZKG came out in a black and gold combination, they look amazing. Desperado especially, wearing an all black mask with the details in gold and his eyes popping out. Amazing!

Match was good. It started with Shingo going after Desperado since he stole the title and was mocking Shingo, they had a small brawl outside the ring, but once back, SZKG cut off SANADA and worked over him for a while. Shingo and Desperado had their chance to do their thing, Desperado went after Shingo's leg, chasing the Numero Dos, Shingo went at him with strikes. A the end, DOUKI had some near falls on SANADA with a Dodom and a Slingshot DDT, but couldn't hit the Suplex de la Luna, instead, ended up falling to SANADA's Skull End via submission.

Post-match - Desperado attacked Shingo again and once again, stole the title belt.

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto) vs Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi & Gedo) - 5/10
It took me a while to get into the match, all the stuff with Goto, at least as babyface in peril, was kinda boring. The hot tag and final minute were good, but that was it. Okada vs Yujiro is going to be a hell of a test for Okada. Goto won with the GTR on Gedo.

Post-match Promos - Yujiro cut a somewhat stupid promo saying that he and Okada are from the same debut year, but that Okada was successful and now see's Yujiro as lower class, so he'll bring Okada down to his level.

Okada then responded saying that he has never blamed Yujiro for his loses, because he's irrelevant. It's true that they debuted together, as well as Ibushi and Shingo, and they've all been successful all over the world. He told Yujiro that he DOES have what it takes to play with the big boys, but he NEEDS to bring it, so instead of bringing him down to his level, how about you come up to mine! he doesn't want the Yujiro that dances, he wants the Yujiro that fights. Awesome promo by Okada.

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, Master Wato, & Yuji Nagata vs Suzuki-Gun (Minoru Suzuki, Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr, & Yoshinobu Kanemaru) - 7/10
Daaang, Wato got his own entrance, but Ibushi came out to Tanahashi's. Also, everyone wore something resembling blue except Tanahashi, get with the program dude!

The start of this match was hilarious in a way, Tanahashi starts stomping the ground to show that he has healed, then he goes against Sabre and completely decimates the leg again. The rest was a lot of Suzuki and Nagata slapping each other, Wato and Kanemaru doing their thing, and Taichi and Ibushi kicking each other. Finish saw Kanemaru not only have Wato defeated with the Deep Impact, but he broke his own pin to add some salt in the form of a Touch Out and get the win. I think the right man took the pin here, but the finish killed him. He's being booked to become the ultimate underdog, but they better be careful.

Post-match - Tekkers and Aces antagonized each other, but the thing here to take notice is that Nagata and Suzuki slapped each other for about 5 minutes after the match had ended. They seem to be restarting their feud more seriously now, probably to become something towards Summer Struggle.

Tanahashi cut a promo backstage saying that he's been only doing 20% while Ibushi is at 80%, he is working to do 30%, 40%, and so on, and he thinks that being among fans is the key. Tekkers made fun of Ibushi for teaming with Tana and told him to get a new partner, even YOSHI-HASHI. Suzuki challenged Nagata to a 1v1.

Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu Takahashi, & BUSHI) vs Bullet Club (EVIL, Dick Togo, & Taiji Ishimori) - 7.5/10
This is a completely different Hiromu from the one we usually get, this one is serious, focused, pissed off, and I love it! ON the Bullet Club side, Dick Togo is nicknamed "The Spoiler", and EVIL, I just paid some more attention to his gear, his shoulder pads have machine guns and he has dropped the Xena skirt and the hair on the face, MUCH better. This EVIL looks like a World Champion. It does look like he's wearing Basketball shoes to wrestle, that I would totally change.

Hiromu revealed a BC tee to trick EVIL and get the first shot on him to start the match. Naito pulled off the Ingobernable fist bump during the match, making sure to antagonize EVIL. Naito and EVIL actually antagonized each other all of the match, always trying to interfere whenever they could. Even BUSHI, who isn't exactly Mr. Expression, he showed some fire when he went one-on-one with EVIL.

The match was good, I really enjoyed the interaction between everyone. EVIL worked nicely vs LIJ, Togo looked good, even though he didn't do as much, and Ishimori is always crisp. It definitely feels like Naito vs EVIL will come further down the road. Final two were BUSHI and EVIL, had some good stuff, but at the end, Togo choked BUSHI and set him up for the EIE for the win.

Post-match - Togo choked Hiromu, EVIL teased hitting the EIE on him, but just tossed him off instead. EVIL told Hiromu that he knows all his moves and that he'll send him to hell in Nagoya.

Backstage, Hiromu said if EVIL knows everything, then he has nothing to hide, because in Nagoya, they're not going to hell, they're going to Hiromu-Chan's World.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Good quicky show to watch. It's really the only set up to Sengoku Lord, so it did as much as it could I guess. They're limited by their schedule, but I think that show alone will draw just based on Hiromu getting a title shot in the main event. It does feel like some seeds are being placed for Summer Struggle, but nothing is really sure yet.

NWK2000

Re: Cero Reviews NJPW New Japan Road 2020

Post by NWK2000 » Jul 22nd, '20, 11:57

Random question. How do you translate the promos? I'd like to start doing similar for my non-English commentary having NJPW shows.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Cero Reviews NJPW New Japan Road 2020

Post by cero2k » Jul 23rd, '20, 09:01

NWK2000 wrote: Jul 22nd, '20, 11:57 Random question. How do you translate the promos? I'd like to start doing similar for my non-English commentary having NJPW shows.
this is just for new shows, they get uploaded to their youtube the day after.
https://www.youtube.com/c/NEWJAPANPROWR ... BAL/videos

Sometimes i use the audio function from google translate on my phone, but it's not always great, specially with fans screaming