cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews DDT King of DDT 2020 Round 2

Post by cero2k » Aug 10th, '20, 17:14

DDT King of DDT 2020 Round 2
August 9, 2020
Tokyo, Japan

King Of DDT 2020 Dramatic Chance Battle Royal
Antonio Honda vs. Tomomitsu Matsunaga vs. Soma Takao vs. Mad Paulie vs. Kazuki Hirata vs. Yukio Sakaguchi vs. Chris Brookes vs. Tetsuya Endo vs. Mizuki Watase vs. Seigo Tachibana vs. Nobuhiro Shimatani vs. Naomi Yoshimura vs. Yukio Naya - 6.5/10
This was fun, but nothing special. All the losers from round 1 got a chance to make it back into the tournament, so we could argue that some guys like Brookes, Takao, or Yoshimura had a chance, but with Endo in the match, it was pretty much a given. Nothing by the wrestlers was particularly special, but I did get a little taste of a Brookes vs Endo match that I wouldn't mind.

King Of DDT 2020 Second Round Match
Makoto Oishi vs. T-Hawk - 8/10
This was really good, Oishi is having a good showing as of late, especially after joining Akiyama. Story here was that T-Hawk had the strength and size advantage, arguably the wrestling advantage too, but Oshi kept dodging, escaping, reversing, and coming back, always going after the legs of T-Hawk, getting closer and closer to locking in the Fujiwara Knee Lock, but once he did, he was rolled over and pinned. It almost looked like Oishi pinned himself to be honest.

Danshoku Dino vs. Yuki Ueno - 6.5/10
This was another Dieno 'Sexual Harassment' match that went to too far and ended with Ueno and Dieno wearing underwear and submitting each other with forced kissing. So after surviving a lot of groping and kissing, Ueno decided to play Dieno's game, undressed, traded dick-taps, kissed Dieno into unconsciousness, and hit the BME for the win.

Toru Owashi vs. Akito - 7/10
This was another fantastic match, but way too short, which in a way is what made it good. Akito jumped Owashi during his entrance and immediately went after his leg. Owashi kinda survived the initial flurry, started going strong hitting Chokeslams over and over, but Akito managed to lock in a submission on the hurt leg and submitted Owashi.

Daisuke Sasaki vs. Shinya Aoki - 7/10
Sasaki is wearing MMA gloves since he's going against Aoki. He tried to grapple with Aoki and got destroyed, and so he relied on chairs to break down Aoki instead, because we know that is Sasaki's only strength.

Once back in the ring, Aoki regained control, kept going for submissions while Sasaki try to keep away with superkicks, but eventually, Aoki blocked a rana into a powerbomb, locked in a submission that was also pinning Sasak, and while the referee started to count for the three count, Sasaki tapped out before the 3. Aoki is a terrible seller, but I really enjoy watching him do his thing.

Minoru Tanaka vs. Shunma Katsumata - 7.5/10
Yet another good match. Tanaka worked viciously over Katsumata's leg, but Katsu was able to catch Tanaka's leg and hurt him too. With a little bit more space to breath, Katsu started going for the roll-ups, locking in a Stretch Muffler here and there when he saw that the roll up wasn't cutting it. Eventually, Tanaka locked in Katsumata again and Katsu had no escaped and submitted. Shunma looked great.

Post-match - Tanaka cut a promo about being disappointed in having to the winner of the loser's match, but it ended up being the championship himself, so he was looking forward to it now. He said he's won titles all over the place, and he wants this new one too.

Konosuke Takeshita vs. El Lindaman - 8.5/10
I was a bit worried when this started, Takeshita was getting too much offense in and given the size difference, it felt really one-sided, but as soon as Lindaman unleashed himself, this was great. El Lindaman is sooo fucking great. Takeshita won with

Takeshita has to be the favorite to win the whole thing at this point.

HARASHIMA vs. Kazusada Higuchi - 8/10
I honestly thought that Takeshita vs Lindaman would be the main event, but I'm really glad that Higuchi got the spot, I think he's greatly underrated.

The story here was that HARASHIMA had the advantage with his wrestling, he managed to really hurt Higuchi early on, but as every good babyface, HARASHIMA wanted to prove that he could beat Higuhi in Higuchi's game -- Striking. Higuchi beat the shit out of HARASHIMA, hardest chops in DDT, headbutts, big impact moves, and at the end, it was all too much for HARASHIMA, who got knocked out by a headbutt, dropped with a powerslam, and beaten 1-2-3.

Post-match - Higuchi cut a promo, thanked the fans for cheering, said he was done with Watase, HARASHIMA, and tomorrow, he defeats Takeshita.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
A far better show than round 1 as expected. We had some really nice pair-ups in this round, but some sad eliminations, such is the life of a single-elimination tournament. Night 3 has less tournament one-on-one matches and likely more comedy stuff, but it should be great too.

Quarterfinals are Higuchi vs Takeshita(!!), Ueno vs T-Hawk(!!), Aoki vs Akito (!?), and Endo vs Tanaka.