cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW G1 Climax 30 9.19

Post by cero2k » Sep 19th, '20, 11:53

NJPW G1 Climax 20, Day 1
September 19, 2020
Osaka, Japan

Yota Tsuji vs. Yuya Uemura - 6.5/10
Good opener, Uemura won with a Boston Crab. Made me get nostalgic for their early rivalry when they kept going to time limit draws.

G1 Climax 30 Block A Match
Yujiro Takahashi vs. Will Ospreay - 7/10
You know, after watching this match, I think this was the one and only match that could have started the G1 Climax this year. His energy and the fan reaction felt like something we hadn't seen this year. New Japan has managed to hit these little milestones this year that give me this feeling of 'being back' in non-pandemic New Japan. First it was their actual return, then their first big show with Dominion and crowds, and now with the foreigners being back, it feels like we're just there, and Ospreay was that guy, he came out and things just felt differently.

The match itself felt like a showcase for Ospreay, a big comeback match that would allow him to do his thing, sell a little and comeback for the win. It had been months that we've seen how big Ospreay got, but he looked as normal as usual in terms of his movement.

Post-match - Ospreay asked for a mic and in a little cocky manner, said that he was the best of the world and that all was good because he was back and that he'd win the G1 Climax. Ospreay looked really moved during his entrance and victory, you could tell that being able to wrestle in front of all these people shook his insides, and so I do wonder if he shoot asked for the mic unplanned, or if he had been given the time to cut a return promo.

Taichi vs. Jeff Cobb - 8/10
This HAD to be the one match that had least expectations, but it sure as hell exceeded them for me, I thought Taichi looked fantastic here, probably the best since his Ishii feud. Taichi looked focused and like a killer. I thought that Cobb being somewhat new still to New Japan and being gone for so long hurt the emotion in the match a bit, fans were not really invested in the babyface and so it was somewhat quiet for a while, but him and Taichi managed to get the fans into the match at the end. Taichi won with a massive Black Mephisto.

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Minoru Suzuki - 8.5/10
Really good match, very physical, but I can't say it was their best. I thought Ishii had a good chance at winning here to set up a title shot after the G1, but alas, Suzuki prevailed. I really enjoyed the energy here, it felt like two old dudes that know each other well going on a last run (before the next). There are A LOT of open headbutts between each other and I think this is gonna end up being a detriment for a lot of fans and their opinions, I personally think a lot if these look super worked, but if I still think about it, i'm sure people do so too.

Shingo Takagi vs. Jay White (w/Gedo) - 9.25
This was just a fantastic match. Shingo here pretty much had the fight on his pocket, not even White and Gedo's cheating could trick and slow down Shingo, but in the end, it was Shingo's own mistake that cost him the match when HE accidentally took out the referee and got careless, let his guard down against White and got low blowed and killed. The detriment of the match was the finish that it kinda sucked the air from the crowd, it was one of those that you know White is winning and nothing can stop it and then he does, it even felt extra contrived for someone like Shingo who I think we can all agree is lower in the totem pole than White, so I guess thanks for protecting him like that.

There is a great spot where Shingo has the upper hand and White is trying to strike back at Shingo, White throws a lariat that doesn't even phase Shingo at all, and in perfect timing and volume, we just hear Gedo in the back "Ohhh noooo!". It's the little things. Later followed by one of the most violent German Suplexes that I've seen.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi - 9/10
Okada and Ibushi are in a level where I can say that a 9/10 match was underwhelming to the hopes I had. This was really really good, but I just wanted more, I wanted maybe like 5 more minutes, I wanted at least ONE Rainmaker attempt. Normal matches usually have 1st and 2nd gear, whereas NJPW main events USUALLY have 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd gear towards then end when it becomes a race to the finish(er); however, this match felt like once they were hitting that 3rd, only Ibushi started chasing the Kamigoye while Okada was still trying to break down Ibushi with Tombstones and Cobra Clutches. I'm still hoping that Okada's 2020 is a long hard realization that the Cobra Clutch sucks.

Anyway, good match, just not as good s Shingo vs White, and arguably better, yet not as exciting, as Suzuki vs Ishii.

Post-match - Ibushi cut his winner's promo.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Great start to the G1 Climax. It just felt like New Japan hit yet another milestone in their ascend back into their level pre-pandemic. The arena was packed, the wrestling felt like a big deal, the energy was the highest I've felt since Wrestle Kingdom, and the roster felt complete. Now to keep it up for a month.

One last thing that I want to mention is I noticed throughout the night that the Japanese crowds have learned to chant by clapping. It comes from that promo where Okada said that three claps is how they used to chant his name, and they've taken it as a way to chant in unison without actually speaking. Beautiful people.

Standings
0 Kazuchika Okada
2 Kota Ibushi
2 Will Ospreay
2 Jay White
0 Shingo Takagi
2 Minoru Suzuki
2 Taichi
0 Jeff Cobb
0 Yujiro Takahashi
0 Tomohiro Ishii

Big Red Machine

Re: Cero Reviews NJPW G1 Climax 30 9.19

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 20th, '20, 23:06

I think we must have watched different shows. I didn't think the day would ever come when I liked an Ishii vs. Suzuki match more than you did.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3