NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW New Japan Cup 2021, 3.13

Post by cero2k » Mar 13th, '21, 23:36

NJPW New Japan Cup 2021, Day 7
March 13, 2021
Aichi, Japan

David Finlay, Gabriel Kidd & Yota Tsuji vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI) - 5/10
Ok match, nothing special. Everything with Ishii was great, but the rest was to build YH vs Finlay, so I can't say I was excited for it. After some near falls, YH got the win over Kidd with the Butterfly Lock.

Suzuki-gun (DOUKI, Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) vs. The United Empire (Great-O-Khan, Jeff Cobb & Will Ospreay) - 7/10
OMG no! What happened to O-Khan's hair now!? He undid his rat tail and now it's all bushy, he looks closer to his RevPro look, but he still has the mohawk.

Nothing against DOUKI, but this was technically a handicap match. With Sabre focused on Ospreay, Taichi was out there having to take on both O-Khan and Cobb. The stuff between Ospreay and Sabre was awesome, and DOUKI did look good at the end, getting pinned by O-Khan.

I'm soo hyped for Ospreay vs Sabre!

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & SHO) & Yuji Nagata vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, SANADA & Tetsuya Naito) - 7/10
Really fun tag match. I think we got more Okada vs Naito that we got SANADA vs Nagata, which is what we're building here. Final two were SANADA and SHO, with the former submitting the latter with the Skull End. The stuff between SANADA and Nagata looked good, but for a full length match, it'll be interesting to see SANADA work a Nagata match, cuz I don't see Nagata being able to keep up with SANADA's speed. Interesting that they're putting SANADA with the strong style guys.

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson & Toa Henare vs. BULLET CLUB (Bad Luck Fale, EVIL & Jay White) (w/Dick Togo & Gedo) - 5.5/10
The Tanahashi vs White rivalry to see who has the best body is the best thing in wrestling. I love seeing Tana's reaction to a fucking ripped White.

Match was ok, I enjoyed the final minutes of the match with EVIL and the BC killing Henare. The stuff with White and Tana was good, but it being Tana, they didn't really do much at this point. I wouldn't mind watching a Henare vs EVIL match.

Post-match - With Yano in commentary, EVIL antagonized him and Yano just kinda awkwardly pretended he wasn't there.

New Japan Cup 2021 Second Round Match
KENTA vs. Minoru Suzuki - 7.5/10
In a total show of disrespect, KENTA brought a newspaper to read while Suzuki made his entrance. They actually stalled a lot early on with this newspaper.

Match was good, but somewhat underwhelming. I had big hopes for this match, I think in the back of my head, I was really hoping for a a 2005 NOAH KENTA vs Suzuki match, and while a lot of the same stuff happened, like single leg Boston Crabs and all the slapping, it also wasn't the same. There was a great slapping exchanging towards the end, that Suzuki kinda won, but when he went for the kill with the GSP, KENTA managed to counter it into the GTS for the win.

New Japan Cup 2021 Second Round Match
Hirooki Goto vs. Shingo Takagi - 9.25/10
This was just fucking awesome. It doesn't happen to me often, but this was so great that I wanted both men to win. It was just two badass dudes beating the shit out of each other with everything they had. They both work with their usual lariat-heavy arsenal, with Goto chasing the GTR and Shingo the Last of the Dragons.

There was a couple of good near falls towards the end, mainly Shingo kicking out of the GTW, which to the untrained eye could totally look like a GTR. Goto himself kicked out of the Made in Japan and a huge Pumping Bomber. At the end, Shingo won with the LOTDs.

Post-match - Shingo cut his winner's promo.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Fun show. Some of the tag matches weren't anything special and KENTA vs Suzuki may not had been what I expected, but overall, the show was a fun easy watch, and everything was good. I loved the main event and that alone made it worth it.