NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW New Japan Cup 2021, 3.16

Post by cero2k » Mar 16th, '21, 19:26

NJPW New Japan Cup 2021, Day 10
March 16, 2021
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan

Gabriel Kidd, Yota Tsuji & Yuya Uemura vs. TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) & Yuji Nagata - 6/10
This was fun, a lot of energy from the Young Lions. I particularly liked the Kojima vs Uemura and Nagata vs Kidd pair ups the most. That one slap that Kidd landed on Nagata was something else. Nagata submitted Kidd with the Nagata Lock III.

I think that for the rest of 2021, I'll just get annoyed at Tenzan using the Mongolian Chop, I just won't be able to get over it.

FinJuice (David Finlay & Juice Robinson) & Toa Henare vs. BULLET CLUB (Bad Luck Fale, Chase Owens & Jay White) - 6/10
This was almost a FinJuice tag match with Henare only coming in at the end to eat a pin at the hands of Fale. The stuff with White and Finlay was good, the action was fast paced, you can clearly see White is miles better than Finlay, but

Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI & SANADA) vs. The United Empire (Jeff Cobb & Will Ospreay) - 7/10
They're telling a really interesting story between these two. Ospreay is petrified of being punched in his broken nose, everything he took, he'd cover his face. He also used this as an excuse to get the referee to cut him some slack and have him get quicker rope breaks and such.

The stuff with SANADA and Ospreay wasn't much because of the nose play, but it still looked good. Cobb pinned BUSHI with the Tour of the Islands after some ok back and forward.

Post-match - The greatest of all time. Ospreay went all Karen on SANADA about his nose, and so SANADA only gave him the finger.

New Japan Cup 2021 Quarter Final Match
Toru Yano vs. EVIL - 6.5/10
This was actually a pretty decent match, like actual match, I can barely rate it as a comedy match. Yano tried his tricks early on, but when EVIL wasn't falling for anything, he just went straight into wrestling mode and started suplexing EVIL around. Yano fought against EVIL and Togo and managed to take them both out, use Togo's wire on EVIL and get close to getting the countout win when he threw him under the ring, but then the lights went out and when they came back, EVIL was in the ring, he hit Everything Is Evil, and won.

Lights going out aside, this was all well executed.

New Japan Cup 2021 Quarter Final Match
KENTA vs. Shingo Takagi - 8.75/10
This may had been KENTA's best match of the tournament, but Shingo's worst. The latter with the incredibly high bar after defeating Okada and Goto.

Match saw a nice escalation of violence, starting with the usual KENTA stalling, but after KENTA got some heat on Shingo, the match eventually became the perfect mix of KENTA and Shingo's styles clashing. Shingo's lariats and forearms vs KENTA's slaps was an awesome exchange. Last final minutes saw both men trade a bunch of strikes, some near falls with KENTA kicking out of Made in Japan, Shingo out of the Busaiku he no Hizageri, but at the end, it was Shingo winning with a Pumping Bomber and the Last of the Dragons to seal the deal.

Shingo vs EVIL in the semifinal.

Post-match - Shingo was cutting his winner's promo when EVIL came out, Togo attacked him from behind, and they ganged up on Shingo.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Good, fun show. This was a show were I enjoyed every match for one reason or another, even seeing the Young Lions team up against the New Japan Dads felt different from the previous weeks.