BRM Reviews wXw We Love Wrestling #3

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews wXw We Love Wrestling #3

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 18th, '21, 16:52

wXw We Love Wrestling #3 (3/5/2021)- Oberhausen, Germany

A STATEMENT FROM THE wXw TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS- They talked about how much winning the tag titles meant to them, and thus how disappointed they are that they now have to vacate them because Stephanie Maze injured her knee in the match where they won the belts, and if they can’t defend the titles then they don’t want to hold them. They vow to get the titles back when Maze is healthy. This is a disappointing development, but it was good babyface stuff from both Maze & Moodo.

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS FAST TIME MOODO- good
Andy asked Moodo if he would be participating in the tournament to crown new tag champs that takes place in two weeks. He said he wouldn’t be participating in the tournament out of loyalty to Stephanie Maze. He said that he would instead use this time to work on his singles career. He then cut a fine promo to build up to his match against Hektor Invictus tonight, which is the rubber match between them, with Hektor having won under normal rules and Moodo having won under Catch Grand Prix rules.

SENZA VOLTO vs. AIGLE BLANC- 5.5/10
Aigle Blanc has a really cool entrance jacket. He had a good showing but lost cleanly. I’d like to see him get some more chances, preferably in longer matches.

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS SENZA VOLTO- fine
Senza put Aigle Blanc over big, then brought him over and asked him to be his tag team partner for the upcoming tournament to crown new tag champs. Aigle Blanc accepted.

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS AVALANCHE- fine build for…

“THE AVALANCHE” ROBERT DREISSKER vs. ENDER KARA- 5.25/10
A solid win for Avalanche. I will admit that I didn’t really see Ender Kara’s flips as being showy the way Avalanche seems to have done (and taken offense to).

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS AVALANCHE- didn’t like it
Avalanche came off like something of a disgruntled veteran heel here, which is a sharp contrast to the helpful mentor we have seen over the past year. His rant about the trial series and telling Ender Kara to go get management to book him in one is ultimately to help Kara, and Kara sulking through the set where Avalanche was being interviewed right in front of the camera is a reason to yell at someone, but Avalanche felt overly mean before that had happened.

VIDEO PACKAGE ABOUT MARIUS AL-ANI’S WINNING STREAK- good

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS MARIUS AL-ANI- EXCELLENT
He builds up the main event and also asks why he isn’t the #1 contender now that he has won Catch Grand Prix and is 16-0.

DENNIS DULLNIG PROMO- good
He snatched the mic away from Andy and cut his own promo instead of letting Andy ask a question. His promo was good build for his match tonight.

LEVANIEL PROMO- good
They’re either setting him up for a match with Al-Ani down the line, or setting him up to be humiliated with a loss right now in…

LEVANIEL vs. DENNIS DULLNIG- 5.75/10
This was the standard “fine for the time it shot” wXw “TV” match. Dullnig controlled most of the match but Levaniel won by roll-up, so that’s two straight wins for him. Dullnig was a sore loser.

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS LEVANIEL- good
We start off with Levaniel doing a little bit of comedy. He eventually starts talking about his “winning streak” (which, according to the great Lou Brown, is not yet a streak). He notes that Marius Al-Ani is also on a big winning streak (unlike Levaniel’s, Marius’ is very real), and suggests that they should team together to enter the tournament for the vacant tag titles. Andy says that Levaniel should go ask Marius about that and Levaniel says he will. This was a very Levaniel interview.

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS NORMAN HARRAS- good
Andy informs Norman of the new rules for the Shotgun Champion. The title will be defended every week in a match with a fifteen-minute time limit., with the opponent chosen by lottery. Norman only gets his champions’ bonus if he retains the title (as opposed to getting a bonus for being the one going into the match as champ and thus getting more credit for drawing the house, I guess). Clearly this is Director of Sport Absolute Andy coming up with a way to f*ck with Norman after the shenanigans Norman used to get himself a title shot (sending an email from Andy’s account declaring that he is the new #1 contender). The announcers later added another rule that if the title is stripped from the champion due to inactivity, there will be two lotteries to determine who will fight for the vacant title. They also said that all lotteries will happen one week in advance).
As Norman was walking away, Abdul and Aytac showed up. Norman taunted them that their former boss, Metehan (who Norman won the title from), is no longer in wXw (he got signed to NXT UK).

FAST-TIME MOODO vs. HEKTOR INVICTUS- 6.5/10
This was very good early on, but necessarily slowed down once they transitioned it more to a storyline-advancing match. That happened when Moodo slipped on the top rope and hurt his knee a bit. This would occasionally flare up throughout the match, and that, plus a big moss of the top rope, allowed Hektor to pick up the win. Obviously they’ve got something in mind for Moodo (Stephanie Maze also injured her knee), but this is the type of match where I think wXw needs to have these guys go long, because these are the guys you want positioned to be the “upper midcarders ready to break through” when the pandemic ends.

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS HEKTOR INVICTUS- fine
Hektor said he would win a lot in 2021.

ANDY JACKSON HOSTS THE SMOKE BREAK WITH DIE RAUCHERPAUSE- fine
I really didn’t like Andy Jackson gleefully starting off with Bobby Gunns’ heelish “bitches and gentleman” catchphrase. Andy is supposed to be a babyface.
Bobby Gunns told us all how proud he was of Norman Harras now that Norman’s plan came to fruition and he got the Shotgun Championship away from Metehan.
Bobby then starts to tease Prince Ahura about his poor showing in the Catch Grand Prix. Ahura blames it on Maggot for not being in the tournament at all (which wouldn’t have mattered anyway because interference would get you in deep trouble). Maggot says he didn’t want to enter a tournament that he had to pay to get into, and criticizes Ahura for throwing away so much money by accumulating so many fines for rules violations. Ahura decides to move on and reveals that he bought Norman a bunch of new gear. Prince Ahura is upset at him for throwing money away. Bobby tasks them with regaining the tag titles.
Andy starts to ask Bobby Gunns about potential challengers for his wXw Unified World Wrestling Title. He specifically throws out winner Marius Al-Ani, who has been undefeated for a year and won the Catch Grand Prix and “The Avalanche” Robert Dreissker, who beat Bobby during Catch Grand Prix. Bobby claims that Avalanche only beat him because of an injury, and ignores Marius’ name completely.

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS LEON VAN GASTEREN- meh
Leon did a decent job of laying out why we should think he has a chance to win (he has more experience with the rounds system than Marius does and would have been one of the favorites to win Catch Grand Prix if he had been able to compete in it but couldn’t because of a shoulder injury), and reminded us of his connection to Marius (he trained Marius) and did the “I’m going to teach him some respect again” promo, but the emotion just felt lacking. Leon was about two or three levels of intensity below where he should have been.

CATCH GRAND PRIX RULES: Marius Al-Ani vs. Leon van Gasteren- 7/10
A worthwhile main event. Marius won cleanly, as he should have. I thought his was great, but it definitely felt like a match that would have been better without the Catch Grand Prix rules. The reason for doing them makes perfect storyline sense (this was Leon’s chance to make the argument that maybe he would have won the tournament if he had been able to compete), but I do think the match itself would have been better without them. I hope they don’t do too many more of these outside of the tournament itself, and I hope that when they do, the wrestlers have a story that works with the rules rather than against them.

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS MARIUS AL-ANI- very good
Marius wants to know why he hasn’t yet been named #1 contender to the wXw Unified World Wrestling Title. It’s a darn good question. Andy mentions Levaniel’s offer to team with Marius in the tag tournament, but Marius rejects it, saying that the tag division is behind him now.

This is going to be wXw’s new weekly two-hour(ish) show. As a first episode, this was… fine. It’s the usual wXw good promos and good little storylines, but they’re pretty clearly saving long matches for the big shows. I wish they would give us a bit more on TV, as sitting through a two-hour show of mostly-decent ten-minute matches before the main event is a lot harder than when the show is one hour or ninety minutes.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3