BRM Reviews wXw We Love Wrestling #21 (ARCHER VS. GUNNS!)

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews wXw We Love Wrestling #21 (ARCHER VS. GUNNS!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 3rd, '21, 20:04

wXw We Love Wrestling #21 (8/14/2021)- Bielefeld, Germany

I’m going by the air-date with this one. It’s confusing, I know. Don’t blame me. Blame wXw for using the taping date instead of the air-date. The important part is that this is the first one after the 20th Anniversary Show, and that the Anniversary show happened between this show and the previous episode, even though that show is dated the day before this one and the Anniversary Show is dated six days before that.

MICHAEL KNIGHT PROMO- good
He puts over Catch Grand Prix and what winning it would mean to him (it would be his first real accomplishment in wXw after sixteen years in pro wrestling).

MICHAEL SCHENKENBERG vs. MICHAEL KNIGHT- 6.75/10
Knight won with a wacky roll-up. That fact, combined with just how much of the match Schenkenberg dominated, it felt like the idea here was to make Knight feel like he would be outclassed in the upcoming Catch Grand Prix. If that is the idea, it certainly succeeded, but it felt like it came at the expense of the momentum he had built up beating Tristan Archer (twice) and Bobby Gunns, which was all that was justifying his presence in the tournament in the first place.

DAN INTERVIEWS MICHAEL KNIGHT- fine
He is happy to have fans back, says his opponent was very tough but didn’t need to cheat, and that he has been trying to get into wXw so long, so being in Catch Grand Prix was a big honor.

TIM STUBING INTERVIEW FROM EARLIER TODAY- fine
He’s sad because he just got told he isn’t in Catch Grand Prix, even though his mentor and tag team partner Leon van Gasteren is. Leon showed up and asked Tim why he was so sad, so Tim told him. Leon told him that he’s not afraid of competition so he will call the Director of Sport and try to get a match booked on tonight’s show where Leon will defend his spot against Tim.

DELIA vs. BABY ALLISON (w/Maggot)- 4/10
Maggot announced that he has hurt his back and wrestling in front of these fans isn’t worth it to him, so that’s why he isn’t wrestling tonight. Baby Allison was upset at him for stealing the spotlight during her entrance. Building up dissension between these two feels like a weird move at the moment.
Maggot got himself ejected from ringside early on, but Allison still got the win, and mostly cleanly.

DAN INTERVIEWS TRISTAN ARCHER- fine
Archer claims that the reason he refused Andy Jackson’s interview after his match on the 20th Anniversary Show because it wasn’t pre-scheduled, not because he was grumpy. Dan asks him about his knee… and he immediately gets upset and defensive again. Dan changed to the subject to his main event match with Bobby Gunns tonight. Archer says that he will win. This was one Archer’s better promos.

LEVANIEL PROMO- fine
He says that he will win the Catch Grand Prix, and by doing so will fulfill his destiny.

THE SHOTGUN TITLE IS VACANT FOR UNEXPLAINED REASONS- You can’t just vacate a title and not explain why!
The title is vacant, and instead of giving it to the winner of the big tournament about to start soon, one of the tournament shows will have a match between two randomly drawn competitors to determine the new champion. Norman Harras came out and said they should just give him the belt. Levaniel came out and cut a fun promo on him, saying that the title doesn’t want to be with Norman anymore due to their previous toxic relationship.

LEVANIEL vs. NOMAN HARRAS- 5.75/10
We had a spot where the ref wouldn’t count a pin because the previous move was an illegal one. That spot doesn’t work unless you stick to the rule every single time. Norman lost after he missed a shot with the title belt and Levaniel hit his finisher.

FAST TIME MOODO PROMO- meh
He tells us what winning the Catch Grand Prix would mean to him.

SENZA VOLTO & AIGLE BLANC vs. TEAM wXw WRESTLING ACADEMY (“The Avalanche” Robert Dreissker & Anil Marik)- 6.75
A nice clean win for the Frenchmen.

TEAM wXw WRESTLING ACADEMY INTERVIEW- fine
The interviewer asked them if they lost tonight because they were distracted by the thoughts of Heisenberg attacking Anil and costing them their tag title shot at the 20th Anniversary Show. Avalanche said that they were close to Heisenberg because he was part of their team early on, but he won’t make excuses for their loss.

THE ROTATION vs. VINCENT HEISENBERG (w/Baby Allison)- no rating, good segment
Heisenberg was a big scary monster. The best The Rotation could do was try to avoid getting snatched up. Heisenberg won clean and attacked after the match as well. Michael Knight and Team wXw Wrestling Academy came out to make the save. Anil Marik challenged Heisenberg to a match next month.

AXEL TISCHER PROMO- very good
This was his “what winning Catch Grand Prix would win to me” promo.

It was announced that Cara Noir will be getting the wXw Unified World Wrestling Title shot he earned for winning last year’s 16 Carat Gold tournament on the Catch Grand Prix tour.

STEPHANIE MAZE PROMO- very good
This was her “what winning Catch Grand Prix would win to me” promo.

wXw CATCH GRAND PRIX 2021 QUALIFYING MATCH: Tim Stubing vs. Leon van Gasteren- 6.75/10
This match will be contested under Catch Grand Prix rules. That makes sense. Leon got the clean win, and we got a nice show of respect afterwards.

ANDY JACKSON INTERVIEWS BOBBY GUNNS- very good
Bobby dodges a question about Die Raucherpause not getting along, then tells us exactly why he’s not worried about Tristan Archer tonight.

TRISTAN ARCHER vs. BOBBY GUNNS- 8.75/10
This was tremendous. Almost certainly the best match of wXw’s pandemic era. I can’t think of anything that comes close off the top of my head, but it’s possible I might be overlooking something from last year’s Catch Grand Prix. This was just a battle of wills between two badasses. Both guys worked over the head and neck, with Gunns mostly ignoring Archer’s injured knee. Eventually Gunns went to the knee, and that would cost Archer in the end, as he was unable to follow up on the Coup d’Etat, which led to Gunns being able to hit his Ehrenmann Driver for the win.

CATCH GRAND PRIX IS GETTING TURNED ON ITS HEAD DUE TO RENOVATIONS AT THE PLANNED VENUE- Basically, they can only run one show, so they’re doing a one-night tournament with a bunch of stips. Very unfortunate. There are lots of wacky rules and it’s one of those tournaments where some of the first-round matches have different numbers of people and crap like that. I don’t like this one bit.

Despite the disappointing announcement at the end, this was an excellent episode of We Love Wrestling. I was really wish we would have gotten some follow-up on where Hektor has been, but even that wasn’t enough to drag down some good build to the next few shows and a tremendous main event.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3