cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW G1 Climax 31, 10.13

Post by cero2k » Oct 17th, '21, 19:37

NJPW G1 Climax 31, Day 15
October 13, 2021
Xebio Arena Sendai, Sendai, Japan

Hiromu Takahashi vs. Kosei Fujita - 5.5/10
This went down like the Oiwa match, with mostly striking and Hiromu getting a lot of offense. Hiromu tapped out Fujita with a crab.

Satoshi Kojima vs. Kota Ibushi [10] - 7.5/10
This got a lot more time than I expected, and they went back and forth for most of the match. Match saw Kojima get all the greatest hits in, then Ibushi made a comeback and got the win with Kamigoye.

G1 Climax 2021 Block A Match
Tomohiro Ishii [8] vs. Yujiro Takahashi [4] - 7.5/10
Another good match, Ishii lays out a good match for Yujiro, but Yujiro's selling and spirit never really reaches that second gear that could take the match from good to great. The ony thing that Ishii does have is that when he is in there with someone like Yujiro, he'll do the selling, he'll add more counters, and that is what elevates the match. Ishii won with a Brainbuster after blocking out of Pimp Juice.

KENTA [10] vs. Tanga Loa [4] (w/Jado) - 7.5/10
This was one of those KENTA matches that become a rollercoaster of nothing happening and then a great looking sequence leading to nothing happening. There was a lot of KENTA trying to cheat or stall and Jado of all people making sure that he stopped and faced Loa fair and square in the ring. Later on, KENTA would even go as far a low blowing both Loa and Jado, but because the referee recovered, he wasn't able to capitalize properly and Loa caught him with a low blow too. At the end, KENTA won with his feet on the ropes.

I still think it's inevitable that the Bullet Club and the House of Torture break up and KENTA would probably be a better for for the House of Torture.

Toru Yano [8] vs. Zack Sabre Jr. [10] - 6/10
Blindfold spot aside, this was fun. They kept a good pace of reversals and trickery and I really enjoyed everything with Yano and Sabre being handcuffed together, I actually would love to see that as a stipulation for a bit of a blood feud, it could be a shorter and more brutal version than a strap match. Sabre won with an armbar.

Shingo Takagi [10] vs. Great-O-Khan [6] - 8.5/10
Shingo is coming in with his ribs taped up. O-Khan did work on them, but it wasn't immediately, the first 10 minutes or so saw both men do more of a Shingo match with the back and forth strikes and slams. While it may not make much sense for O-Khan to go after the ribs early on, I did like the pacing and drama it added that O-Khan tried to take on Shingo and only when things looked worse for him, he went for the ribs, at a point that Shingo was too already hurting.

After a while, O-Khan started to chase the Eliminator, which opened some space for Shingo to make a comeback and eventually win with the Last of the Dragons. As usual, O-Khan has one of the best matches of the night.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Ok show, one of the weaker ones. Most of the pair ups were not exactly exciting, usually these cards are set up for point adjustment, so the matches don't tend to be the big match-ups.

Block A
Great-O-Khan - 3-0-5 -- 6
KENTA - 6-0-2 -- 12
Kota Ibushi - 6-0-2 -- 12
Shingo Takagi - 6-0-2 -- 12
Tanga Loa - 2-0-6 -- 4
Tetsuya Naito - 0-0-8 -- 0
Tomohiro Ishii - 5-0-3 -- 10
Toru Yano - 4-0-4 -- 8
Yujiro Takahashi - 2-0-6 -- 4
Zack Sabre Jr. - 6-0-2 -- 12

Block B