NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW New Japan Cup 2022, 3.14

Post by cero2k » Mar 15th, '22, 09:49

NJPW New Japan Cup 2022, Day 8
March 14, 2022
Takamatsu City Gymnasium, Takamatsu, Japan

Ryusuke Taguchi, Tiger Mask & Tomoaki Honma vs. Suzuki-gun (El Desperado, Minoru Suzuki & TAKA Michinoku) - 4.5/10
Ok match, nothing special. Honma got cut off, Mask and Taguchi came in for the comeback, Taguchi tapped out TAKA for the win.

Post-match - SHO once again attacked Desperado while the latter made his way back to the locker rooms, he dragged him to the ring and attacked him with the wrench. I'm really hoping Desperado beats the shit out of SHO, but I suspect he is the one to finally defeat Despy for the title.

Guerrillas Of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) & Jado vs. BULLET CLUB (Bad Luck Fale, El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori) - 4.5/10
This started off as a brawl, but it wasn't long before the BC cut off Jado and things got a bit under control. Tama Tonga got the hot tag, Loa came in for about 10 seconds, and then, when Jado was getting ready to take out ELP, Gedo came out and distracted Jado, so ELP could roll him up for the win. Really short match.

Post-match - Gedo once again tried to knockout Jado with brass knucks, but the Guerrillas made the save.

BULLET CLUB (Chase Owens, Dick Togo & EVIL) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Hiromu Takahashi, SANADA & Shingo Takagi) - 6.5/10
This match is building both EVIL versus Hiromu and Shingo versus Owens, but they still had everyone mix it up, they didn't pass on the opportunity to have EVIL and Shingo wrestle. At the end, SANADA got the win over Togo with an O'Connor roll.

Suzuki-gun (DOUKI & Zack Sabre Jr.) vs. United Empire (Aaron Henare & Great-O-Khan) - 7/10
This was good, we got a strong preview of Sabre vs O-Khan, and a lot of Henare striking both SZKG guys. Henare got the win over DOUKI with the Streets of Rage.

CHAOS (YOH & YOSHI-HASHI) vs. United Empire (Jeff Cobb & Will Ospreay) - 7/10
Good match, mostly because the YOH and Ospreay stuff was really good. The Cobb and YH stuff was ok, I can't say I'm really excited for tomorrow, let's just hope they have a match at least as good as their G1 Climax one from last year. Ospreay won with a Hidden Blade over YOH.

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Master Wato vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI & Tetsuya Naito) - 6.5/10
We didn't get as much Naito versus Tanahashi, but that was probably for the best, not all of it was great, both guys were taking it easy on each other, at least until the end. The stuff with Naito and Wato I did enjoy, whereas the stuff with Tana and BUSHI was short and it only led to Tana winning with a High Fly Flow.

New Japan Cup 2021 Third Round Match
CIMA vs. Hirooki Goto - 8.5/10
First time meeting between these two, not even a single tag match in both men's ~20 year careers.

This was really good. So far in the tournament, CIMA had mostly been the guy that gets worked on, only to make a comeback and get the win, but here, ew saw a more dominant CIMA, working on Goto early on. Goto made a comeback before they both headed to the final minutes, where they pretty much kicked out of every signature move possible, to the point that CIMA dropped Goto with a Springboard Meteora combo to the back and front of the head and finally got the win.

I'm honestly surprised of how far CIMA has made it, and now he's surely going after Okada. CIMA is making GLEAT proud.

New Japan Cup 2021 Third Round Match
Taichi (w/Miho Abe) vs. Kazuchika Okada - 9/10
This was really really good. Taichi worked a really smart and strong match, constantly keeping Okada down and making sure that he cut off every attempt of a comeback, but as the time went on, Okada got more and more offense in, until he eventually Taichi was just more damaged than Okada himself, and at that point, Okada capitalize on an opening to hit a quick sequence of offense and end it with Rainmaker for the win, right before he could lose control of the match.

CIMA versus Okada official now!

OVERALL THOUGHTS
One of the strongest shows of the tournament, we only had two tournament matches, but a couple of the undercard matches were enjoyable. We've hit that point where all the tournament matches are for the most part, bangers.