cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews NJPW New Japan Cup 2022, 3.15

Post by cero2k » Mar 16th, '22, 11:50

NJPW New Japan Cup 2022, Day 9
March 15, 2022
ZIP Arena Okayama, Okayama, Japan

Tiger Mask & Tomoaki Honma vs. Ryohei Oiwa & Ryusuke Taguchi - 4/10
Meh match, Honma got the win with a crab on Oiwa and that kinda tells you everything.

Kosei Fujita & Master Wato vs. BULLET CLUB's Cutest Tag Team (El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori) - 5/10
Another meh match, it was well wrestled and it set up something in the post-match, but the match itself was just there, ok.

Post-match - Bullet Club beat up Wato after the match until Taguchi ran down for the save, and between the two, beat up Ishimori and ELP.

Guerrillas Of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) & Jado vs. BULLET CLUB (Bad Luck Fale, Chase Owens & Gedo) - 4.5/10
Guerrillas jumped the Bullet Club during the entrance and brawled for a bit, and it was that chaos that allowed Owens to low blow Jado and stick him with a knee for the pin, while the rest were busy and distracted brawling outside the ring. This was really short.

Suzuki-gun (El Desperado, TAKA Michinoku & Zack Sabre Jr.) vs. United Empire (Aaron Henare, Great-O-Khan & Will Ospreay) - 7.5/10
This was great, it was short, but it was an explosive sprint will all men involved. The focus is Sabre and O-Khan, but we also got some Ospreay and Desperado, and Henare being the new badass he's become, slamming TAKA left and right.

Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi, SANADA & Shingo Takagi) vs. House Of Torture (Dick Togo, EVIL, SHO & Yujiro Takahashi) - 7/10
HoT have a new hoodie in the store, so now everyone is wearing hoodies, which is a good look for SHO and Togo, maybe even Yujiro, but EVIL with a hoodie was a weird look.

Good match, but I felt the finish was abrupt. The focus was Hiromu and EVIL, but the BUSHI babyface in peril into the Shingo hot tag took most of the match time. Shingo pinned Togo after a Pumping Bomber.

CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Kazuchika Okada & YOH) vs. Suzuki-gun (DOUKI, Minoru Suzuki & Taichi) - 7/10
Good match, really enjoyed YOH and Suzuki pairing up, and of course Okada and Taichi. Goto got the win on DOUKI.

New Japan Cup 2022 Third Round Match
YOSHI-HASHI vs. Jeff Cobb (w/Great-O-Khan & Will Ospreay) - 7.5/10
I had a hard time getting into this match, but they got me towards the end. It's one of those matches were I have trouble getting into YH getting so much offense on someone like Cobb, but at one point, he did take out Cobb's injured knee, and from there on, his offense did make more sense to me. Cobb won with the Tour of the Islands at the end.

New Japan Cup 2022 Third Round Match
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - 8/10
Tanahashi did a Scott Hall tribute during his entrance. Forever the Ace.

Match was good, but they definitely didn't go in there to have an all time classic and I guess somewhat of a disappointment. Naito worked the head while Tana worked the knee, but with Tana dragging leg problems since the start of the tournament, and especially after surviving the Fale match, it was Tana's knee that gave Naito the bigger opening to dodge the High Fly Flow and roll over Tana for the win. Not even a Destino.

Post-match - Naito cut his winner's promo

OVERALL THOUGHTS
The show went by fast and there were some good stuff here and there, but overall, the show was just there. I wasn't a big fan of the tourny matches.