Cero Reviews Korakuen Hall 60th Anniversary Festival ~ NJPW + AJPW 50th Anniversary

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
cero2k
Site Admin

Cero Reviews Korakuen Hall 60th Anniversary Festival ~ NJPW + AJPW 50th Anniversary

Post by cero2k » May 3rd, '22, 11:35

Korakuen Hall 60th Anniversary Festival ~ New Japan Pro Wrestling + All Japan Pro Wrestling 50th Anniversary
April 16, 2022
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan

Opening Video - We had the same Korakuen Hall video as yesterday, but this one also included some video messages by Antonio Inoki and Tanaka Kero.

Kosei Fujita vs. Ryo Inoue - 6/10
Good basic match, but you could really tell that Fujita is way more advanced and solid than Inoue, and maybe that's the reason why he was given the win via submission when they could have easily gone to the time limit draw.

Congratulatory Videos - We got videos from Stan Hansen and Dory Funk, Jr.

Ryohei Oiwa, Takao Omori & Yuto Nakashima vs. Six Or Nine (Master Wato & Ryusuke Taguchi) & Yoshitatsu - 5/10
Ok match, nothing to it really. The thing that I kept thinking about it was how well did Omori looked leading the Young Lions, and how well Yoshitatsu fitted with the look and feel of Taguchi and Wato. Finish saw Oiwa kick out of Yoshitatsu's brainbuster, but not backdrop suplex.

TAJIRI & Toru Yano vs. Black Menso-re & Yoshinobu Kanemaru - 5/10
This was the comedy match of the night. Kanemaru and TAJIRI did have some good sequences with each other, but most of the match revolved around Menso-re's comedy, who at the end got rolled up by TAJIRI for the finish.

Great Bash Heel (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) & NEXTREAM (Atsuki Aoyagi & Yuma Aoyagi) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi, Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito) - 7.5/10
The one thing that made this match was watching the Aoyagi brothers pair up with LIJ. We had BUSHI and Atsuki for an ok pair up, and after Naito kept dodging Yuma, we got some Hiromu versus Yuma. At the end, we did get a back and forth of Hiromu and Atsuki that built to Yuma and Shingo and later on, Naito.

As for Honma and Makabe, they were mostly there to allow LIJ to gain heat and build up NEXTREAM's comebacks. Honma ended up taking the pin after a Destino by Naito.

Runaway SUPLEX (Shotaro Ashino & Suwama) & Dan Tamura vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, YOH & YOSHI-HASHI) - 8/10
I can 100% understand building everything around Goto and Suwama's confrontation, but by god, I was salivating over Goto vs Ashino. What we got instead was a lot of little pair ups here and there, making me want singles matches between them, but I just didn't find the tag as exciting. At the end, Bishamon got the win over Tamura with Shoutou.

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Kento Miyahara vs. Jake Lee & Taichi (w/Miho Abe) - 8.5/10
I swear Jake Lee may have one of the most impressive looks in Japan, but he has the worst entrance gear of them all. This match definitely delivered on the dream pair ups, we got Tana and Lee start the match and then pass it on to Kento and Taichi. Both Tana and Miyahara were babyfaces in peril separately before building to the big back and forth. Towards the end, we got a really good Lee pair up with Miyahara and one with Tana, followed by a good strike exchange with Kento and Taichi and a crazy awesome spot where everyone kept taking each other out until the time ran out and we got our time limit draw.

Post-match - All four got their hands raise, but they took advantage to have Taichi tease that he wanted to get a shot at the Triple Crown and Tana faced off with Lee, but that's more of a Tana thing. Lee and Tana took to the mic to congratulate Korakuen Hall, but also took the chance to try to build a match and bring each other to their respective promotions. Finally, Miyahara closed the show.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
Show was fun, but main event aside, the rest of the card kinda failed to live up to a big NJPWxAJPW show.