BRM Reviews wXw We Love Wrestling #32: Ironman

NJPW, RevPro, CMLL, DDT, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews wXw We Love Wrestling #32: Ironman

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 17th, '22, 21:29

wXw We Love Wrestling #32: Ironman (6/6/2022)- Hamburg, Germany

LEVANIEL APOLOGIZES TO JURN SIMMONS FOR ACCIDENTALLY COSTING HIM THE wXw UNIFIED WORLD WRESTLING TITLE- excellent
Jurn responded to this completely sincere apology perfectly: “Levaniel, I don’t need you to be sorry; I need you to be better. Now let’s kick some ass!”

ROTT & FLOTT vs. JURN SIMMONS & LEVANIEL- 5.5/10
The heels jump the babyfaces from behind and start to work over Levaniel. Jurn finally got the hot tag and ran wild. Levaniel called for a tag and Jurn tagged him in, and they each set up to hit a member of Rott & Flott with their finisher… when the one Levaniel was targeting escaped and threw Levaniel into Jurn, the Rott & Flott hit Levaniel with their finisher and got the win. A PERFECT storyline finish, while still being a clean one as well. I just wish that they would have been given more than seven minutes to show their stuff, but with a sixty-minute Ironman match on the docket, it’s certainly understandable.

DAN INTERVIEWS THE ROTATION- fine
He wrestles Avalanche tonight. He has two bruised toes from a match in the US, but he won’t let that stop him. wXw Academy “Prospect of the Year” Elijah Bum is here, and The Rotation is showing him around.

NORMAN HARRAS PROMO- bad
His cartoon tag team partner in the background undermined his promo about how he would end Bobby Gunns undefeated streak in Hamburg tonight. The said partner talked and made it worse. Also, apparently a package Norman wanted delivered to the building won’t arrive in time. It’s clearly special gear he ordered. The clown partner (Sebastian Suave) had made a big deal about how they would be matching tonight. Why are they wasting Norman like this?

“THE AVALANCHE” ROBERT DREISSKER vs. THE ROTATION (w/Elijah Blum)- 5/10 (but great for what it wanted to do)
Avalanche ripped off The Rotation’s boot and worked over his injured foot. He eventually dragged him to the outside, went over to a little staircase by a section entrance and gave Rotation what the announcer described as “like a shinbreaker, but to the foot.” Unfortunately, instead of doing his job and counting them out the whole time this was happening, the referee just followed them around, yelling impotently, like a New Japan referee. The ref then stayed to check on The Rotation, which allowed Avalanche to do some spots with Blum without there being a DQ. They shined Blum up pretty well, really making him feel like a top prospect, with Avalanche getting the better of him only after an eye-rake.
The Rotation hobbled back to the ring and did some good high-flying stuff while selling his foot. Avalanche eventually got an ankle lock and made him tap. This didn’t go long, but it did everything it needed to do, and did it all well.

TRISTAN ARCHER IN-RING INTERVIEW- meh
This was framed by the ring announcer informing the live crowd that tonight’s scheduled challenger for the wXw Unified World Wrestling Championship, Jonathan Gresham, couldn’t be here for “personal reasons,” so his title shot for winning 16 Carat will have to be rescheduled for a later date… and instead, tonight, we will see Tristan Archer defend the title against Axel Tischer in a sixty-minute Ironman match.
Archer said he, too, was disappointed by Gresham’s absence because he wouldn’t be able to prove that he is the best. This was falling flat, so it was quite a relief when Axel Tischer came out to take issue with that claim.
Archer decided to just leave. Tischer assured the fans that tonight’s Ironman stipulation would prevent Archer from retaining the title through the nefarious means he has previously used. I guess the idea is that any one-time pinfall gain from cheating will eventually be negated and overcome by Axel’s superior babyface ability, but until we have sort of stipulation to prevent Rott & Flott from getting involved, I’m not buying it.

NORMAN HARRAS & SEBASTIAN SUAVE vs. ONLY FRIENDS (Bobby Gunns & Michael Knight)- 4.75/10
Yup. Norman doesn’t have his gear, so he has to wrestle in his business clothes. This had some fun shine, a decent heat segment, and then the babyfaces coming back to get the win, so Bobby Gunns remains undefeated in Hamburg.

DAN INTERVIEWS NORMAN HARRAS- Dan, being an idiot, antagonized the boss. I had no sympathy for him when Norman decided to indefinitely suspend him without pay, starting after tonight’s show.

AIGLE BLANC vs. SENZA VOLTO- 8.25/10
More absolute awesomeness from these two, this time with a match full of haymakers (metaphorical ones, not literal ones, although there were some of those as well). Aigle Blanc got the win, and after a tease of dissension, Senza showed him much respect after the match.

DAN INTERVIEWS AIGLE BLANC & SENZA VOLTO- okay
They put each other over. Senza said they would ask Norman Harras for a match against Rott & Flott (the tag champs) because apparently Rott & Flott were talking about them a few weeks ago. It seems kind of odd to have them have singles matches and then move them into a feud with the tag champs.

PSYCHO MIKE vs. VINCENT HEISENBERG- 5/10
Psycho Mike put up a lot more of a fight than I was expect. Heisenberg did his Snake-Eyes into the ringpost spot for the count-out win.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Heisenberg went right back out and kept beating on Mike. Levaniel came out to make the save, but Heisenberg beat him up, too. Jurn Simmons came out to save Levaniel, and he and Heisenberg brawled to the back. Some wrestlers came to break it up. Norman Harras booked the two of them against each other in a Last Man Standing match at Broken Rules. I don’t like rushing to a stipulation, but I’m okay with it because 1) Norman is a heel and is happy to find an excuse to put potential competition on a match where they could get injured, 2) Heisenberg being both a crazy monster and making a habit of attacking people after matches makes this stipulation work better, as either Jurn will put him down and he won’t be able to get back up and fight, or he’ll put Jurn down and will presumably be content with this because he know he has beaten Jurn to the point where Jurn can’t get back up.

SIXTY-MINUTE IRONMAN MATCH FOR THE wXw UNIFIED WORLD WRESTLING TITLE: Tristan Archer(c) vs. Axel Tischer- 7/10
This might be the most non-descript Ironman match I can remember. They did the usual spot where the heel gets DQed on purpose to get two falls with the damage he caused the babyface, forcing the babyface to fight from behind, and the babyface fought back and caught up… and then they just kind of did stuff. It wasn’t boring or anything, and it competently told the story of a grueling sixty-minute match, but it really wasn’t particularly gripping, either.
Archer retained, so this seems to be the end of Tischer as a challenger.

This was a good show from wXw, moving the stories along in necessary ways and giving us an excellent match. The main event underdelivering definitely hurt things, but it’s not like the main event bombed, either. We’ve got anther big show up next in Broken Rules XX.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3