BRM Reviews the 6/19/2014 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 6/19/2014 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 22nd, '14, 17:17

NATTIE & JBL AT RAW- Nattie suggests that JBL have Tyson Kidd team with Sami Zayn to make Tyson happy after his tough losses in NXT Title matches. JBL thought this was a very good idea. Then he awkwardly reached out and it looked he was about to touch Nattie's boob, but then he stopped as he apparently realized that would not be a good idea.

ALEXA BLISS vs. SASHA BANKS (w/the BFFs)- no rating. Good segment.
During her entrance, Alexa Bliss sat on the apron with her legs crossed and did a little hair-flip... and in the background, Summer Rae could not possibly believe this audacious bit of gimmick infringement.
They struggled a bit early, but got better as things went on. That Mexican Surfboard looked about as painfull as I have ever seen the move look. Summer and Charlotte got into a squabble at ringside (over Charlotte's hair annoying Summer or something) while, (ironically), Sasha seemed to give up on working legal body parts and instead just pulled Alexa's hair a lot. Summer and Charlotte's argument distracted Sasha, allowing Alexa to roll her up. This angered Sasha, who then joined in the shoving match between Summer and Charlotte, blaming them for costing her the match.
Good booking here, as the not clean but still not heelish win allows Bliss to maintain this undersized underdog thing she has going, while also both getting over Summer and Charlotte's problems and setting up for a third match between Banks and Bliss (each one has one win, and BFF distractions played a role in both).

TYSON & NATTIE BACKSTAGE- FANTASTIC!
Tyson is angry at Nattie for costing him the NXT Title last week. Nattie asked "did you really want to win the title like that? (with a chair)." Apparently Tyson and Sami have a tag title match tonight (in their first match as a team). TJ says he appreciates that Nattie set this up for him, but he says she didn't have to because he likes to earn things on his own. Nattie says she is just "trying to do things to help your career." Tyson was clearly angry but rather than yell, he told Nattie he had to go talk to Sami Zaym about strategy.

AIDEN ENGLISH & SIMON GOTCH- down to personal taste
They got the Vaudeville style down well, but I didn't like the old-timey view-master sound-effects and the black and white screen. They also really should have told us Simon Gotch's name at some point.

GARRETT DYLAN vs. MOJO RAWLEY- 0.75/10

SAMI ZAYN & TYSON KIDD BACKSTAGE- They say they will bounce back from their big losses at Takeover by winning the NXT Tag Team Titles tonight.

TRAVIS TYLER & ? vs. THE VAUD-VILLANS (Aiden English & Simon Gotch)- squash.
Yea... this act is not clicking with me at all. William Regal's commentary for the win, though.

COLIN CASSIDY PROMO- Enzo's coming back!

ROMAN REIGNS FATHERHOOD COMMERCIAL- why is the mail-woman creeping on them?

RVD PROMO- he wants to wrestle Adrian Neville. Cool.

KALYSTO vs. TYLER BREEZE- 6.5/10
A good showing for Kalysto in his first big singles match.

NXT TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Ascension(c) vs. Sami Zayn & Tyson Kidd- no rating. Bad segment.
Tyson refused to tag in, leaving Sami on his own. I really hated this. It just seemed so out of nowhere. I can't figure out how it meshes in any way with his storyline with Nattie. This just seemed like a random heel turn out of nowhere... and for a guy who seemed to be at the beginning of a fantastic "slow burn" heel turn.

Overall, a good episode of NXT aside from the main event.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3