BRM Reviews the 7/10/2014 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/10/2014 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 14th, '14, 12:01

#1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Bayley vs. Summer Rae- 4.5/10
So… how long before the announcers realize that the Family Guy reference with the Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Men was only funny the first time and hasn’t been funny since?
Being an idiot, Rich Brennan went out of his way to point out that Summer Rae really hasn’t done anything to earn to this opportunity. Tensai, THE FORMER WRESTLER, said that she deserved this spot for having a good movie release and for being on Total Divas (well, actually he called it “the Divas show” because he apparently couldn’t remember its name despite how much WWE plugs it. We all know how much WWE loves Total Divas, so I’d expect him to be put on the bench on commentary very soon). Renee called him out on this, so he defended his stupidity by comparing it to if Trish Stratus came out of retirement. Yeah. Because it is the stuff that she has done since retiring that would earn Trish a title shot and not having won more titles than any woman in WWE history.

We got a “BAILEY’s GONNA HUG YOU” chant from the NXT Universe. Summer Rae won. This made me happy.

Rich Brennan noted that Tensai (Jason Albert. Whatever) was returning to commentary after some time away. Renee told Tensai “I love seeing your big head down there.” I love how Renee just casually makes sexual innuendos on commentary while maintaining this beautiful air of innocence about her, as it she had no idea what she said. This time, unfortunately, she actually cracked and broke out laughing.

SAMI ZAYN & ADRIAN NEVILLE PROMO FROM AFTER LAST WEEK’S MAIN EVENT- GREAT!

TYSON KIDD & JUSTIN GABRIEL PROMO- okay
It just now occurred to me that these two used to be a main roster tag team. Justin did all of the talking.

SIN CARA vs. WESLEY BLAKE- 3.75/10

NATTIE & TYSON BACKSTAGE- Nattie is unhappy about some of the things Tyson said in his interview last week (specifically that it sounded like he was laming her for his loss to Adrian Neville). Tyson says he was just stating facts. Nattie says that she will always support him, but right now, his attitude sucks and she doesn't want to be a part of it. Tyson turns this around on her and says "oh. so you don't want to come to the ring with me tonight?"
GREAT stuff. This angle is fantastic.

SUMMER RAE & SASHA BANKS BACKSTAGE- they bicker. Summer claims that when she wins the title, everyone will forget about Charlotte. She also declares it to be the "Summer of Summer."

CJ PARKER & XAVIER WOODS PROMO- bad
CJ apologizes to Xavier for what he said last week. Woods then almost exploded at him. From the way Xavier was reacting, you'd think CJ had spent five minutes shouting racial slurs at him or something, but all CJ did was say that Woods had wasted his opportunity on the main roster. Also, Woods threw a reference to his PhD in there. He really needs to stop mentioning it every time he speaks. It sounds heelish.
CJ says that he came out here to offer peace, and he suggests that Woods accept his offer. Woods snubs him in a very obnoxious way, then turns to leave so CJ kicks him in the back of the head. This is a perfect example of how to ruin an otherwise good angle If Woods hadn't overreacted and been such a douche, I would be angry at CJ right now. Instead I'm happy that Woods got what he deserved for being a douche, and I'm not inclined to root for either guy when their match comes.

VAUDVILLANS SKETCH- these bore me. I hate them.

ASCENSION VIDEO PACKAGE- great. Now I have to watch recaps of Ascension matches. BOOO!

BULL DEMPSEY vs. ANGELO DAWKINS- squash.
The announcers claim that Bull Dempsey has "taken NXT by storm." A blatant lie. Renee calls him an "American Mastodon," which is a MUCH better nickname than "the last of a dying breed" (and will probably piss Eddie Kingston off a lot less, too).
I've been very disappointed with the amount of squashes on NXT over the past five months or so. This show has WAY too much talent for that.
After the match, Dempsey cut a promo saying that he was a wrecking ball and would not stop until he was NXT Champion.

SAMI ZAYN & ADRIAN NEVILLE PROMO- pointless.

SAMI ZAYN & ADRIAN NEVILLE vs. JUSTIN GABRIEL & TYSON KIDD (w/Natalya)- 7/10
Nattie and TJ come out together, holding hands and smiling. Lots of "NATTIE'S HUSBAND!" chants throughout the match.
The match was great, but the finish was amazing! First Tyson fakes an injury, so Nattie is up on the apron tending to him while the ref holds Zayn back. Tyson gets up and charges Zayn, but Zayn blocks him attack, then punches him, sending TJ stumbling back into Nattiem knocking her off the apron. Both TJ and Sami are shocked and both go to check on Nattie... but a Zayn steps through the ropes, grabs him from behind and rolls him up for the win.
Then TJ went to celebrate and got half-way up the ramp before he saw Nattie rubbing her head and starting to get up... and he got this fantastic look of "oh sh*t!" on his face and ran over to her to make sure she was okay and help her up the ramp. GREAT! This was one of those really creative finishes that helps an angle really stand out. This is by far the best angle in wrestling right now.

A good episode of NXT.

STUPID ANNOUNCER QUOTES:
1. Tensai referred the Charlotte vs. Summer Rae as a “teacher vs. student” match.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3