NWK Reviews NXT Takeover Chicago

NWK2000

NWK Reviews NXT Takeover Chicago

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 17th, '18, 01:56

The Undisputed Era (Strong and O'Reily) (c) w/ Adam Cole vs Birch and Lorcan for the NXT Tag Team Championship

Fantastic opener. I wasn't sold on the challengers (specifically Birch) but this match proved me wrong. Lorcan especially worked his butt off. I liked how one incident of cheating was enough for the ref to throw out Cole. Undisputed Era picked up the duke, but I'd love to see Birch and Lorcan get another shot.

8/10

Ricochet vs Velveteen Dream

Another great match. Dream once again shined, really getting across that he wanted to outdo Ricochet as to gain the spotlight, including an INSANE top rope elbow in which Velveteen would've gone cost to cost had Richochet not inched out of the way. However, the singular thing that bothered me here was that Richochet sold his back to show that he couldn't suplex Dream, and then immediately started doing other shit. As such, I couldn't rate this any higher than what I have, but that's just me being neurotic, and I would love to see either of these men competing for major single titles next month

[6/10

Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Nikki Cross for the NXT Women's Championship

The story of the match, as so eloquently said by Nigel (who, in Mauro's absence, was on top form tonight) was, "If most of your offense is inflicting pain, how do you fight someone who feels none?" Shayna sold being spooked by crazy Nikki expertly. And the constant theme of Nikki coming out of Shayna's signature offense in less pain than all her other opponents, and smiling through it was amazing. The finish especially, with Nikki fighting the choke, and smiling, until she passed out was great, and it's another rematch I hope we see in the next few months

7/10

Aleister Black (c) vs Lars Sullivan for the NXT Championship
The story of the match going in was that Lars was the first guy to catch the Black Mass kick. But the story of the match itself was Aleister going full velocity to take down Lars, but Lars would hit a powerslam, or a relatively simple move which would stun Aleister enough to keep him down. Lars eventually did catch The Black Mass, but Aleister fought through it, countering the Freak Accident, and hitting the Black Mass, which Lars shockingly started to get up from, but then was put down by another Black Mass.

7/10

Johnny Gargano vs Tommasso Ciampa: Street Fight

This match had all the hallmarks of the first one. Violence, crowd brawling, and lots of hardcore weaponry (which would later include the exposed, mat-less ring itself, which I haven't seen in WWE ever. However, this match really outdid itself in the closing couple of sequences. Ciampa dragged Gargano to the video wall at the top of the ramp, a la the DIY break up last year, slammed him face first into it, and hit him with a running knee. He then tried to emulate the flyingAir Raid Siren through the table, even going as far as to steal Gargano's wedding band and SPIT ON IT. However, this was too much stalling as Gargano countered with his own flying Air Raid Siren through the table. They teased doing a stretch job on Ciampa while Gargano sat in thought, with the announcers teasing possible regret. But instead, Johnny snapped, stealing the stretcher that had Ciampa on it and dragging him back to the ring. Gargano made Ciampa tap but there was no ref, several times, agents tried to separate Gargano from Ciampa, but Gargano would fight them off. Eventually, this allowed Ciampa to do a hanging DDT on to the exposed ring (which as the announcers reminded us , and pick up the shocking win. Ciampa mockingly waved goodbye as the crowd chanted "(Censored) you Ciampa" and we faded to black

11/10 This is not hyperbole or a type-o, I am rating this match beyond perfect!

An amazing show once again from NXT, in which literally everyone, even those who lost, looked like they deserved to hold the championships in the divisions which they were eligible, which has me jazzed for NXT's answer to Summerslam!
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Re: NWK Reviews NXT Takeover Chicago

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 17th, '18, 14:57

You really thought this was better than the first Ciampa vs. Gargano match?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jun 18th, '18, 08:43

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 17th, '18, 14:57 You really thought this was better than the first Ciampa vs. Gargano match?
The first one was a better match objectively, but I am absolutely in love with symbolic throwbacks to previous events, which is why I loved the sequence which ended in Johnny sending Ciampa through the table. I also loved the finish of Johnny being so angry he slipped up and gave Ciampa the win.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 18th, '18, 09:00

NWK2000 wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 08:43
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 17th, '18, 14:57 You really thought this was better than the first Ciampa vs. Gargano match?
The first one was a better match objectively, but I am absolutely in love with symbolic throwbacks to previous events, which is why I loved the sequence which ended in Johnny sending Ciampa through the table. I also loved the finish of Johnny being so angry he slipped up and gave Ciampa the win.
The first match had much more of those than this one did.

Also, if you love that sort of thing, we need to get you some tapes of the Steen vs. Generico feud. And also good chunks of Jimmy Jacobs entire ROH run.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 18th, '18, 09:13

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 09:00

Also, if you love that sort of thing, we need to get you some tapes of the Steen vs. Generico feud. And also good chunks of Jimmy Jacobs entire ROH run.
Okada vs Omega. Cheap Plug

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 18th, '18, 09:23

cero2k wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 09:13
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 09:00

Okada vs Omega. Cheap Plug
I actually don't think that one did that in quite the same way, though. That match did it in a much more normal wrestling match type of way where it is just building off of something they did (or teased) in a previous match (think RVD vs. Jerry Lynn) as opposed to the actual artistic mirroring in Steen vs. Generico or Gargano vs. Ciampa, or some of the Jimmy Jacobs callbacks to previous moments/promos.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation