BRM Reviews the 9/19/2018 NXT (AWESOME!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/19/2018 NXT (AWESOME!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 20th, '18, 01:00

DAKOTA KAI & DEONNA PURRAZZO vs. LACEY EVANS & ALIYAH- 2/10
At the beginning of the heat there are two consecutive spots with the heels working Deonna over in their corner that just need to be seen. I cannot possibly do them justice. The first is what Lacey does after throwing a bunch of forearms at the downed Deonna, and the seconds is what Aliyah does after that. Both are fantastically cringe-worthy, but each in its own special way.
Deonna eventually made the hot tag to Dakota, who threw some of her kicks… and then got punched in the face by Lacey Evans and pinned like the complete and total loser she is.

Mauro Ranallo noted that all four of these women were still suspects in the attack on Aleister Black. I accepted the unspoken challenge, and attempted to come up with a kayfabe reason that each of these woman who want to attack Aleister Black. Here is the best I could do:
Lacey Evans- Lacey is (as her theme informs us) “so traditional” that she does not approve of Aleister’s many piercings and tattoos, and thinks that his casual occultism is a bad influence on the children.
Aliyah- She knows she sucks and won’t get any better, so her plan to become NXT’s top star is to take out everyone who is more talented than she is (this match is part two of her plan. This is Aliyah we’re talking about, so pretty much no one in the locker room is safe).
Dakota Kai- The “Captain of Team Kick” is likely worried that Aleister’s own kicking abilities, being far superior to her own, will catch the notice of her “Team Kick” followers, and they will all abandon her (and when even your imaginary friends seem like they might abandoning you, you do desperate things).
Deonna Purrazzo- Yeah… I’m stumped for this one. Maybe she thinks Aleister Randy Ortoned her bag?

VELVETEEN DREAM PRESS CONFERENCE- GREAT!
He answers one question in which he insulted Gargano in the answer, then was asked about the investigation in the attack on Aleister Black and responded as follows:
“You have the opportunity to interview The Velveteen Dream, and you come to The Dream with questions about people who aren’t The Dream?”
F*CKING AWESOME!

STREET PROFITS PROMO- very good
Montez Ford explains to us why his gold chains (which Shane Thorne tried to steal a few weeks ago to distract Montez so that the Street Profits would lose) are so important to him.

BIANCA BELAIR INTERVIEW FROM AFTER LAST WEEK’S DOUBLE-COUNT-OUT WITH NIKKI CROSS- good
The usual arrogant Bianca was humbled by her experience, but nevertheless still herself
JAXSON RYKER vs. HUMBERTO CARILLO- squash

WILLIAM REGAL & THE LAWYER INTERVIEW CANDICE LERAE- very good
She says she has no information, but she’s pretty sure it was Ciampa just due to the modus operandi. Regal asks her if she can provide an alibi for Johnny Gargano, and she told Regal what she and Johnny did that night at the arena, but, while she didn’t outright say this, her story did not actually vouch for Johnny’s whereabouts other than confirm that he was at the arena the time of the attack, which we already knew. Candice is doing a great job playing the distressed spouse without being over the top about it like you would almost certainly see from most people.

KEITH LEE VIDEO PACKAGE- meh

TITLE VS. TITLE MATCH: Ricochet(NXT North American Title) vs. Pete Dunne (WWE UK Champion)- 9.25/10
These two had the utterly OUTSTANDING match we all knew they would have together, culminating in the Undisputed Era run-in double DQ finish we all figured was coming. What I didn’t see coming was the War Raiders coming out to make the save that quickly. I also couldn’t help but notice that there were four babyfaces and three heels at the end of this segment (Bobby Fish didn’t run in), which is too many for the six-man tag you’d think was coming with Undisputed Era… but if Bobby Fish is healthy by November, eight men is the perfect number for War Games… and the next Takeover shows just happens to be Takeover: War Games II

Another AWESOME episode of NXT. This product just keeps getting better. I really love how they’ve used the “who attacked Aleister Black storyline as a logical framing for so many other things. Well done, Hunter.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

DHRainmaker

Re: BRM Reviews the 9/19/2018 NXT (AWESOME!)

Post by DHRainmaker » Sep 20th, '18, 21:03

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 20th, '18, 01:00 Mauro Ranallo noted that all four of these women were still suspects in the attack on Aleister Black. I accepted the unspoken challenge, and attempted to come up with a kayfabe reason that each of these woman who want to attack Aleister Black. Here is the best I could do:
Lacey Evans- Lacey is (as her theme informs us) “so traditional” that she does not approve of Aleister’s many piercings and tattoos, and thinks that his casual occultism is a bad influence on the children.
Aliyah- She knows she sucks and won’t get any better, so her plan to become NXT’s top star is to take out everyone who is more talented than she is (this match is part two of her plan. This is Aliyah we’re talking about, so pretty much no one in the locker room is safe).
Dakota Kai- The “Captain of Team Kick” is likely worried that Aleister’s own kicking abilities, being far superior to her own, will catch the notice of her “Team Kick” followers, and they will all abandon her (and when even your imaginary friends seem like they might abandoning you, you do desperate things).
Deonna Purrazzo- Yeah… I’m stumped for this one. Maybe she thinks Aleister Randy Ortoned her bag?
Well Deonna is dating Marty Scurll maybe she wanted to try and prove she could be as great of a villain as her boyfriend is

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 21st, '18, 08:24

DHRainmaker wrote: Sep 20th, '18, 21:03
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 20th, '18, 01:00 Mauro Ranallo noted that all four of these women were still suspects in the attack on Aleister Black. I accepted the unspoken challenge, and attempted to come up with a kayfabe reason that each of these woman who want to attack Aleister Black. Here is the best I could do:
Well Deonna is dating Marty Scurll maybe she wanted to try and prove she could be as great of a villain as her boyfriend is
That works much better.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 21st, '18, 09:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 21st, '18, 08:24
DHRainmaker wrote: Sep 20th, '18, 21:03
That works much better.
it all goes back to the Haskins v End v Scurll feud for the PROGRESS title

this could work perfectly with the rumors that Scurll is leaving BC and NJPW

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 21st, '18, 09:52

Dakota Kai was great against Shana Baszler and I'm somewhat surprised they didn't do anything more with her. I remember that conversation with Bob-O I had about they put so much into her at the time only for her to lose and be done with it.

Then again, this is the guy who swears Alexa Bliss is sooooo great so, I'm not surprised lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.