BRM Reviews the 2/27/2019 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/27/2019 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 28th, '19, 12:08

OPENING SEGMENT- good
Johnny Gargano comes out and starts to cut a promo about still feeling like a champion and talking about “the reason for my success,” before being cut off by Tommaso Ciampa, who tries to convince him to reform DIY so they can win the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic and go on to win the tag titles at TakeOver: New York. After much hesitation, Gargano accepts Ciampa’s handshake.

RICOCHET INTERVIEW- He wants to enter the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic with Alesiter Black as his tag team partner. More importantly, though, WHO THE F*CK LET HIM ON TV IN THAT ATROCIOUS PALETTE-SWAPPED TUXEDO?!

JOHNNY GARGANO & CANDICE LERAE BACKSTAGE- interesting
They is very disappointed in Johnny, but Johnny tells her to “trust him.” Candice walks away in frustration and says “I hope you know what you’re doing.”

VANESSA BOURNE & ALIYAH vs. TAYNARA CONTI & XIA LI- 4/10
The heels win. Booooooo!

THE VELVETEEN DREAM ARRIVES AT THE BUILDING AND IS CONFRONTED BY UNDISPUTED ERA- This was a GREAT segment to set up a Cole vs. Dream match (and Cole got in a plug for Fish & O’Reilly’s entry into the DRTTC), but at the same time, I cannot for one moment believe that The Velveteen Dream would not be wearing his newly-won championship belt everywhere he goes.

BIANCA BELAIR & IO SHIRAI YELL AT EACH OTHER BACKSTAGE- good

KEITH LEE vs. DOMINIC DIJAKOVIC- 6.75/10
It hit me a few moments after this was announced that this would not be the type of match they had in EVOLVE or NEW, nor the type of match they had in PWG, so my expectations were well tempered. What it turned out to be was a sort of more personality-driven version of the hard-hitting/power moves match they had in AAW, with some athletic stuff thrown in, but not moonsaults and Canadian Destroyers. It went to a double-count-out, which was disappointing, but gives me hope that they might get a TakeOver match out of it.

The other four teams in the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic are:
- Aleister Black & Ricochet
- Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch
- Moustache Mountain
- DIY

They also announced the first-round match-ups but I didn’t have time to copy them down. The tournament starts next week. In two weeks, it was announced that we would see Bianca Belair vs. Io Shirai to determine who gets to challenge Shayna Baszler for the NXT Women’s Title at TakeOver: New York.

SASHA BANKS & BAYLEY PROMO- good
This was A MILLION TIMES BETTER than the crap we got on Raw last week. These were proud champions, not saps pulling up fake emotion trying to create the real emotion of the night before simply because management decided that not enough people watched the PPV. They teased defending the titles in NXT.

MIA YIM vs. SHAYNA BASZLER- 6.5/10
Baszler worked over Mia’s leg but Mia’s selling belt a little lacking at times. Yim being allowed to look competitive against Baszler was a good step towards establishing her as a new pillar of the NXT women’s division.

This was a fine episode of NXT, more focused on setting up for the future rather than being a great show in and of itself.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Re: BRM Reviews the 2/27/2019 NXT

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 28th, '19, 13:02

"Selling felt a bit lacking at times..."

She sold her ass off like crazy for pretty much the whole match.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 28th, '19, 13:06

KILLdozer wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 13:02 "Selling felt a bit lacking at times..."

Aside from the times she was up and running around and having no trouble with her ankle at all.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 28th, '19, 13:07

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 13:06

Aside from the times she was up and running around and having no trouble with her ankle at all.
I guess I missed that.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Feb 28th, '19, 13:08

Ricochet always wears garbage shit like that though in NXT lol, and I felt like TVD shut down and killed TUE lol.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 28th, '19, 14:06

I noticed this also, but it was my first time really seeing her and for the most part I thought she was pretty good. Baszler is just the perfect scary dominating heel though.

I have this worry about the DRTTC. If the winners are getting a tag team title shot, it tells me it’s going to be an established tag team (like the Undisputed Era), which makes me wonder why Black and Ricochet are in there at all. If they win (which I doubt, since they both recently got called up) then they are two main event guys languishing in the tag team scene which drives me mental, or if they lose, I worry they’re gonna do the breakup scenario where someone turns heel (probably Black) and then we get the program we were talking about in another thread (and I mentioned my issues with it there also). So why put them in there at all? I get that it kinda plays into that they’re teaming up on RAW and Smackdown recently but that storytelling is way shallower than I have come to expect from NXT.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 28th, '19, 15:38

Serujuunin wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 14:06

I noticed this also, but it was my first time really seeing her and for the most part I thought she was pretty good. Baszler is just the perfect scary dominating heel though.

I have this worry about the DRTTC. If the winners are getting a tag team title shot, it tells me it’s going to be an established tag team (like the Undisputed Era), which makes me wonder why Black and Ricochet are in there at all. If they win (which I doubt, since they both recently got called up) then they are two main event guys languishing in the tag team scene which drives me mental, or if they lose, I worry they’re gonna do the breakup scenario where someone turns heel (probably Black) and then we get the program we were talking about in another thread (and I mentioned my issues with it there also). So why put them in there at all? I get that it kinda plays into that they’re teaming up on RAW and Smackdown recently but that storytelling is way shallower than I have come to expect from NXT.
I haven't seen any spoilers yet but I'm not so certain that them winning is out of the question. There really isn't anyone for either guy to work as a top-card singles act. They've each worked with TVD already and TVD seems destined for Cole, which takes Cole off the table, plus Cole has already worked Ricochet, and Ciampa and Gargano are off the table because they feel like they either have to win the tournament or wind up facing each other at TakeOver, so giving them the win here would both be a way to mesh with the main roster while also having an out-going act put over War Raiders rather than a team that will be in NXT for at least the next few months. Also, they were heading in the direction of teaming together in opposition to Undisputed Era anyway, so it's entirely possible that them teaming together was part of the plan even before the call-ups. Not saying them winning is the best idea, but I do think it would serve a purpose

The more I look at the brackets and the possibilities in combination with this week's Raw and SD, the more I think the following things have happened/will happen:
1. I think Ciampa and Gargano's call-up might turn out to be a dud. Them not being on TV this week (well... Gargano got a cameo in the background of Shawn Michaels getting a cameo), plus Black and Ricochet suddenly being moved into a main roster team makes me think that Hunter was able to put his foot down with Vince and get Ciampa and Gargano's appearances (or at least their team-up) on the main roster quashed, with Black and Ricochet now inserted in that spot instead.
2. I don't know why this didn't seem more obvious to me before, but there is no way Ciampa and Gragano win the DRTTC because then we wouldn't have an NXT Title defense at TakeOver... and while I'm certain that Cole vs. TVD or Io vs. Baszler (vs. Bianca?) or Dunne vs. whoever (it's got to be WALTER, right?) could main event TakeOver from a workrate or even mostly (maybe not the NXT Women's Title match or the NXT NA Title match) from a star-power standpoint, whatever happens with Ciampa and Gargano will still feel like the main event because of how much has gone into it. I'm finding it hard to imagine a scenario where we don't get Gargano vs. Ciampa at TakeOver, probably for the belt, but maybe even after a title switch to someone like Keith Lee to immediately establish him).

3. The Street Profits are in an interesting spot re indy dates Mania weekend. The rules that came out for NXT UK guys were that they weren't supposed to work indy dates in the week before an NXT UK show. Such a rule has not seemed to apply to regular NXT talent, as both Cole and the Street Profits worked EVOLVE the weekend before this set of tapings (and Ricochet was originally scheduled to, with Cole being his replacement). It's possible that WWE wants this changed due to their being so many shows Mania weekend and all in such close proximity to each other. This likely means that either the Street Profits won't win the tournament or that they will drop the EVOLVE Tag Team Titles in March. If they do let the Street Profits worked for EVOLVE but don't let Moustache Mountain/WALTER/Dragunov/Dunne work wXw/PROGRESS etc. it would seem pretty unfair, so it's possible that Moutstache Mountain might also either not be able to win, either (Seven and WALTER are both in important spots in PROGRESS, to the point that, like the Street Profits as Evolve Tag Team Champions, it'd be kind of hard to run a major show without them). Something similar could wind up applying to Aichner & Barthel if wXw pulls of the trigger on Barthel finally winning 16 Carart Gold.

4. I tend to doubt that we'd see Aichner & Barthel or Moustache Mountain win simply because they're NXT UK guys now. Burch & Lorcan might be in a similar spot, as I heard a rumor that Lorcan was being moved to 205 Live and Burch to NXT UK.
This leaves Forgotten Sons, UE, and Black & Ricochet (maybe Street Profits if they are either allowed to work all shows or drop the Evolve Tag Team Titles) as possible winners. I think Forgotten Sons are most likely to come out of the left side of the bracket, which means we'd probably get babyfaces comig out of the right side, which would be Black & Ricochet. Black & Ricochet could either win to then put over War Raiders or be used to put over Forgotten Sons in the finals. Alternatively, they could get screwed in the finals by UE and wind up facing UE at TakeOver instead and putting them over.

5. This isn't related to the tournament, per se, but writing this made me realize that the men's singles division (which now has two titles) is very much in the same place the women's division was after the original draft, when they lost/were about to lose not only some of their main eventers, but also a good chunk of that next wave that was being built up to replace them. Losing EC III and Lars hurt this, as did now having to split incoming talent with NXT UK, but even call-ups like SAnitY's robbed them of guys they could spend some time building up. Right now, underneath Ciampa, Gargano, Black, Ricochet, Cole, and TVD (and first four of whom at least might well be gone in two months) they've got Roddy (who is in a stable with Cole so that's not so helpful),and then... Lee, Riddle, and Dijak? Am I forgetting someone, or are those really the next highest male singles wrestlers on the totem pole. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, as it can give the women's and tag titles some more main event exporuse (although the women's division is also feeling a little thin, so at least they don't feel like they're in danger of losing anyone to call-ups), but it's something WWE needs to be wary of. I don't really think they should be calling anyone up this year that they haven't made it obvious they're looking to call up.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 28th, '19, 16:23

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 15:38
Serujuunin wrote: Feb 28th, '19, 14:06

I haven't seen any spoilers yet but I'm not so certain that them winning is out of the question. There really isn't anyone for either guy to work as a top-card singles act. They've each worked with TVD already and TVD seems destined for Cole, which takes Cole off the table, plus Cole has already worked Ricochet, and Ciampa and Gargano are off the table because they feel like they either have to win the tournament or wind up facing each other at TakeOver, so giving them the win here would both be a way to mesh with the main roster while also having an out-going act put over War Raiders rather than a team that will be in NXT for at least the next few months. Also, they were heading in the direction of teaming together in opposition to Undisputed Era anyway, so it's entirely possible that them teaming together was part of the plan even before the call-ups. Not saying them winning is the best idea, but I do think it would serve a purpose

The more I look at the brackets and the possibilities in combination with this week's Raw and SD, the more I think the following things have happened/will happen:
1. I think Ciampa and Gargano's call-up might turn out to be a dud. Them not being on TV this week (well... Gargano got a cameo in the background of Shawn Michaels getting a cameo), plus Black and Ricochet suddenly being moved into a main roster team makes me think that Hunter was able to put his foot down with Vince and get Ciampa and Gargano's appearances (or at least their team-up) on the main roster quashed, with Black and Ricochet now inserted in that spot instead.
2. I don't know why this didn't seem more obvious to me before, but there is no way Ciampa and Gragano win the DRTTC because then we wouldn't have an NXT Title defense at TakeOver... and while I'm certain that Cole vs. TVD or Io vs. Baszler (vs. Bianca?) or Dunne vs. whoever (it's got to be WALTER, right?) could main event TakeOver from a workrate or even mostly (maybe not the NXT Women's Title match or the NXT NA Title match) from a star-power standpoint, whatever happens with Ciampa and Gargano will still feel like the main event because of how much has gone into it. I'm finding it hard to imagine a scenario where we don't get Gargano vs. Ciampa at TakeOver, probably for the belt, but maybe even after a title switch to someone like Keith Lee to immediately establish him).

3. The Street Profits are in an interesting spot re indy dates Mania weekend. The rules that came out for NXT UK guys were that they weren't supposed to work indy dates in the week before an NXT UK show. Such a rule has not seemed to apply to regular NXT talent, as both Cole and the Street Profits worked EVOLVE the weekend before this set of tapings (and Ricochet was originally scheduled to, with Cole being his replacement). It's possible that WWE wants this changed due to their being so many shows Mania weekend and all in such close proximity to each other. This likely means that either the Street Profits won't win the tournament or that they will drop the EVOLVE Tag Team Titles in March. If they do let the Street Profits worked for EVOLVE but don't let Moustache Mountain/WALTER/Dragunov/Dunne work wXw/PROGRESS etc. it would seem pretty unfair, so it's possible that Moutstache Mountain might also either not be able to win, either (Seven and WALTER are both in important spots in PROGRESS, to the point that, like the Street Profits as Evolve Tag Team Champions, it'd be kind of hard to run a major show without them). Something similar could wind up applying to Aichner & Barthel if wXw pulls of the trigger on Barthel finally winning 16 Carart Gold.

4. I tend to doubt that we'd see Aichner & Barthel or Moustache Mountain win simply because they're NXT UK guys now. Burch & Lorcan might be in a similar spot, as I heard a rumor that Lorcan was being moved to 205 Live and Burch to NXT UK.
This leaves Forgotten Sons, UE, and Black & Ricochet (maybe Street Profits if they are either allowed to work all shows or drop the Evolve Tag Team Titles) as possible winners. I think Forgotten Sons are most likely to come out of the left side of the bracket, which means we'd probably get babyfaces comig out of the right side, which would be Black & Ricochet. Black & Ricochet could either win to then put over War Raiders or be used to put over Forgotten Sons in the finals. Alternatively, they could get screwed in the finals by UE and wind up facing UE at TakeOver instead and putting them over.

5. This isn't related to the tournament, per se, but writing this made me realize that the men's singles division (which now has two titles) is very much in the same place the women's division was after the original draft, when they lost/were about to lose not only some of their main eventers, but also a good chunk of that next wave that was being built up to replace them. Losing EC III and Lars hurt this, as did now having to split incoming talent with NXT UK, but even call-ups like SAnitY's robbed them of guys they could spend some time building up. Right now, underneath Ciampa, Gargano, Black, Ricochet, Cole, and TVD (and first four of whom at least might well be gone in two months) they've got Roddy (who is in a stable with Cole so that's not so helpful),and then... Lee, Riddle, and Dijak? Am I forgetting someone, or are those really the next highest male singles wrestlers on the totem pole. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, as it can give the women's and tag titles some more main event exporuse (although the women's division is also feeling a little thin, so at least they don't feel like they're in danger of losing anyone to call-ups), but it's something WWE needs to be wary of. I don't really think they should be calling anyone up this year that they haven't made it obvious they're looking to call up.
See, this is why I post stuff, because you see things I miss and I get a whole new perspective on what's going on. I think I tend towards the details instead of the big picture. I won't go on too much about my skepticism about NXT callups because we've beaten that like a dead horse, but when you break down the details and the skeleton of a story starts to show up, I have a bit more faith that there is a plan in mind.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 7th, '19, 12:22

More in this week's coming review, but I'm not really that into a lot of these teams. Some just feel like created SD V RAW generic dudes.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 7th, '19, 14:58

So far though I'm actually VERY pleased with the eliminations of the tournament.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 7th, '19, 15:26

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 14:58 So far though I'm actually VERY pleased with the eliminations of the tournament.
I’m kind of scared. I don’t want my two favourite solo guys stuck together in a tag team.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 7th, '19, 20:32

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 15:26
KILLdozer wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 14:58 So far though I'm actually VERY pleased with the eliminations of the tournament.
I’m kind of scared. I don’t want my two favourite solo guys stuck together in a tag team.
Told you.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 7th, '19, 22:03

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 20:32
Told you.
Lol I didn't need you to tell me, I knew it was happening. I just explained why I didn't like it. :P

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 7th, '19, 22:15

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 22:03

Told you.
Lol I didn't need you to tell me, I knew it was happening. I just explained why I didn't like it. :P
I'm actually referencing the topic where several said it wouldn't go well with them just randomly teaming on SD...then this is the result. And put your tongue away ! Lol

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 7th, '19, 22:18

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 22:15

Told you.
I'm actually referencing the topic where several said it wouldn't go well with them just randomly teaming on SD...then this is the result. And put your tongue away ! Lol
Well, it's still probably not going to end up well, let's be honest. RAW and Smackdown hate tag teams.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Mar 7th, '19, 22:36

Serujuunin wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 22:18

Well, it's still probably not going to end up well, let's be honest. RAW and Smackdown hate tag teams.
At this point hating tag teams would be better because they'd split.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Mar 7th, '19, 22:59

KILLdozer wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 22:36
Serujuunin wrote: Mar 7th, '19, 22:18

At this point hating tag teams would be better because they'd split.
And still fade into obscurity and suffer that callup curse. >.<