BRM Reviews the 3/20/2019 NXT

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews the 3/20/2019 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 23rd, '19, 19:23

Bob-O wrote: Mar 22nd, '19, 16:48
Serujuunin wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 23:46
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 21st, '19, 23:07
They could also have Gargano be the champion when Ciampa comes back and then have Gargano need to beat Ciampa to feel validated as champion (a thought Ciampa could place in his head through gas-lighting promos).
That wouldn't even be that difficult. All Ciampa would have to say is "You couldn't even get your hands on that Championship while I was around. You couldn't even get your hands on it until I went out hurt, because you could never beat me." Boom, there it is. I like this idea too, but I think there would be more of a "fuzzy, feel-good" moment if he won it from Ciampa.

Besides that, the main event has felt a little bit like the DIY show lately, with some rotating guys for flavor, so Cole winning it would be helpful because it would bring in someone new- though he has been floating around the periphery of the main event picture for a while- and validate everything Undisputed Era has been saying about having all the gold. Imagine Cole having the NXT Title, Strong somehow ending up with the North American Championship, and then Fish and O'Reilly with the Tag Team Championships... It's a distinct possibility. Then we can get a bit of a different NXT Title scene for a bit too.
I'm just visualizing Gargano in the position right now and I'm not digging it. It's all but garunteed he'd be holding the belt until Ciampa came back, so they can do the obligatory Real Champ/Fake Champ "I never got beat for the title" thing... but until then we'll get some great matches, but nothing of substance because we all know the belt means nothing to him unless he beats Ciampa for it.

Personally, I'm liking Cole in that spot with a chasing Gargano and some Riddle mixed in... REALLY digging some Riddle vs O'Reilly in that chase... give it to Gargano when Ciampa's almost ready to come back and then they can do the thing.

But, whatever. I trust NXT to be entertaining regardless, I just feel like Adam Cole is approaching NXT Ziggler territory and stands to lose more than Gargano by NOT winning. They could strait up job Gargano out until Ciampa returns, pick up where they left off, and everyone would forget all about it.
It doesn't have to be (and really shouldn't be) a "real champ/fake champ" thing. It should be about Gargano's inability to beat Ciampa. It's not "you're not really the champ because I was the champ and got hurt and therefore you didn't beat me." It's "Johnny, you only won because I wasn't around." It's a more personal version of the general idea of "real champ/fake champ" that fits into their already-established story.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mar 24th, '19, 05:54

Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 23rd, '19, 19:23 It doesn't have to be (and really shouldn't be) a "real champ/fake champ" thing. It should be about Gargano's inability to beat Ciampa. It's not "you're not really the champ because I was the champ and got hurt and therefore you didn't beat me." It's "Johnny, you only won because I wasn't around." It's a more personal version of the general idea of "real champ/fake champ" that fits into their already-established story.
Right! I'm not saying Ciampa's showing up with a fake belt or anything (although he's welcome to if it ultimately replaces that thing they've got), but the general idea.

I don't know how long these surgeries take to recover from, and while I don't have any issues with Gargano, if he wins the title at TakeOver it's with 99% certainty he's holding it until Ciampa comes back. No matter how good the matches are, we go in KNOWING how every Gargano defense is going to end. It's not a good way to build up heels on a roster with absolutely no credible heels beyond Undisputed Era who've been struggling lately themselves.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 24th, '19, 09:55

Bob-O wrote: Mar 24th, '19, 05:54
Big Red Machine wrote: Mar 23rd, '19, 19:23 It doesn't have to be (and really shouldn't be) a "real champ/fake champ" thing. It should be about Gargano's inability to beat Ciampa. It's not "you're not really the champ because I was the champ and got hurt and therefore you didn't beat me." It's "Johnny, you only won because I wasn't around." It's a more personal version of the general idea of "real champ/fake champ" that fits into their already-established story.
Right! I'm not saying Ciampa's showing up with a fake belt or anything (although he's welcome to if it ultimately replaces that thing they've got), but the general idea.

I don't know how long these surgeries take to recover from, and while I don't have any issues with Gargano, if he wins the title at TakeOver it's with 99% certainty he's holding it until Ciampa comes back. No matter how good the matches are, we go in KNOWING how every Gargano defense is going to end. It's not a good way to build up heels on a roster with absolutely no credible heels beyond Undisputed Era who've been struggling lately themselves.
Ah. I see what you're saying now.

According to the video package, the recovery time is around one year,
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Apr 3rd, '19, 04:30

It dawned on me yesterday that they planned on Ciampa being out after TakeOver for surgery/recovery. I'm guessing the original plan was for Gargano to take the strap, so all my logic here is right out the window. They (should already) have a Gargano championship plan that doesn't involve Ciampa. The plan likely involved a feud with Cole, so that's not necessarily a "spoiler" for this saturday, but I have a feeling Gargano is getting his "moment" on NXT's biggest stage...