BRM Reviews the 4/3/2019 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 4/3/2019 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 8th, '19, 17:03

KENNY WILLIAMS & OMAR AMIR vs. MARCEL BARTHEL & FABIAN AICHNER- 6.75/10
Very good babyface vs. heel stuff. Goofy and annoying as I might find them, Williams & Amir earned their win here.

RADZIE INTERVIEWS RHEA RIPLEY- fine
Rhea claimed she let Piper Niven off easy last week because it was her debut, but if Piper bothers her again she’ll make sure NXT UK becomes her worst nightmare. In related news, Piper Niven makes her in-ring debut for NXT UK on next week’s show.

JORDAN DEVLIN BOTHERS JOHNNY SAINT & SID SCALA BACKSTAGE- good
He makes it clear that he wants a WWE UK Title shot. He was an excellent entitled heel here.

ISLA DAWN vs. KAY LEE RAY- 6.25/10

JINNY AND TONI STORM BRAWL WHEN RADZIE TRIES TO INTERVIEW TONI- fine
They have a title match next week. Jinny won the brawl.

GRIZZLED YOUNG VETERANS PROMO- oh my G-d shut up! Just stop yelling! I’m not annoyed that these guys are running their mouths; I’m annoyed because the whole reason they’re running their mouths is because someone thinks it’s good heat for fans to try to boo over them. It might be fun for people in the arena, but for those of us watching at home, it’s torture. This went nine times longer than it needed to just so Gibson could keep talking and getting booed. From now on, I only want these guys to cut pre-taped backstage promos.

Travis Banks vs. Kassius Ohno has been booked for next week. Also, their Piper Niven graphic is too face-focused, which means it does a poor job of getting across what makes Piper Niven different.

TRENT SEVEN vs. JOE COFFEY- 7.5/10
This definitely over-delivered.

PETE DUNNE VS. WALTER VIDEO PACKAGE- fine go-home show stuff.

A good episode of NXT UK, despite the annoying GYV promo. I’ve really enjoyed how both NXT UK and 205 Live, mostly free of the traditional requirements of doing a go-home show because they only have one match each Mania weekend, have been able to just run normal shows with storylines moving along, as opposed to the full-on go-home push of NXT and the main roster, which has almost felt stuck in place over the past two week (especially on the main roster).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Re: BRM Reviews the 4/3/2019 NXT UK

Post by XIV » Apr 9th, '19, 12:40

I’m really not sure on the direction of NXT UK right now.

I feel that Pete Dunne is coming to the end of his UK run, and I’m not sure who the right man to face Walter is, I feel that the person to beat him has to be a sly and conniving character who outsmarts the big brutal beast, but I don’t feel NXT Uk has that person yet.

As for the GYV, they get heat (well, Zach Gibson does)... but I’m not enjoying them as champions.

I really like Joe Coffey, as the weeks go on he’s really finding his groove.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 9th, '19, 13:02

XIV wrote: Apr 9th, '19, 12:40 I’m really not sure on the direction of NXT UK right now.

I feel that Pete Dunne is coming to the end of his UK run, and I’m not sure who the right man to face Walter is, I feel that the person to beat him has to be a sly and conniving character who outsmarts the big brutal beast, but I don’t feel NXT Uk has that person yet.

As for the GYV, they get heat (well, Zach Gibson does)... but I’m not enjoying them as champions.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

With some character development, maybe Eddie Dennis could be the guy to "outsmart" WALTER?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Apr 9th, '19, 14:06

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 9th, '19, 13:02
XIV wrote: Apr 9th, '19, 12:40 I’m really not sure on the direction of NXT UK right now.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

With some character development, maybe Eddie Dennis could be the guy to "outsmart" WALTER?
I’m not an Eddie Dennis fan myself really BUT he has the ability and he has the background being a teacher and all. So I think with some development you could be right. It’s either him or maybe with a few pushes in the right direction Joe Coffey for me at the moment.
Have A Nice Day!