BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: XXV (SHOW OF THE YEAR CANDIDATE!)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: XXV (SHOW OF THE YEAR CANDIDATE!)

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 2nd, '19, 10:46

NXT TakeOver: XXV (6/1/2019)- Bridgeport, CT

OPENING VIDEO PACKAGE- This might well be the single most epic opening video package in the history of pro wrestling.

RODERICK STRONG vs. MATT RIDDLE- 8.75/10
The new NXT ring announcer has been officially named Alicia Taylor. Riddle leapt high into the air and kicked both of his flip-flops off at the same time, in Roddy’s direction. Was shocked that Roddy didn’t jump the bell on him when posed after that.
The story here was Roddy working over Riddle’s back and the pain getting in the way of Riddle’s offense, and they told their story wonderfully. Riddle’s selling was great, the nearfalls were exciting, and they had some truly excellent sequences, culminating in an insane last two or three minutes. And yeah, I marked out hard for Roddy doing his indy combo. I wonder if the name of his sit-out double-underhook powerbomb becomes the “Noble Driver” now that he’s in WWE.

LADDER MATCH FOR THE VACANT NXT TAG TEAM TITLES: Undisputed Era (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly) vs. Street Profits vs. Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan vs. Forgotten Sons (Steve Cutler & Wesley Blake)- a PERFECT 10/10!
First things first, it needs to be said that this was a completely terrifying viewing experience, as several wrestlers appeared to come very close to serious injuries. It was one of those matches that almost makes you not want to see another one ever again. The first of those wrestlers was Kyle O’Reilly, and his various scares basically turned him and Bobby Fish babyface for this match... which actually wound up being a boon as it made you really cheer for them when the two of them became the first guys to really get some damage in on Jaxson Ryker. More on Ryker in a minute.
This was one of those rare ladder matches that comes along every few years that feels like a step up from everything that has come before it in terms of creativity. Even more impressively, they managed to do in this match without relying on too many set-ups that felt contrived. Don’t get me wrong: The ladder match tropes were definitely there. But the wrestlers’ timing was such that these things happening and it not being choreographed ahead of time at least felt plausible.
All of that said, the man who made this memorable for me was Jaxson Ryker. The six babyfaces have been killing themselves all match to try to win these titles... and here comes this monstrous juggernaut of a man to absolutely destroy them. From the moment he came out, you knew business was about to pick up. Kyle O’Reilly’s facial expression when he saw Ryker coming down the ramp was like the guy holding up the gas station when he realizes RoboCop is Officer Murphy: Complete and total disbelief, combined with the utter terror of the realization that this man is coming back for vengeance.
Ryker absolutely DOMINATED the match for the next few minutes, until the babyfaces all worked together to take him out... and he still came back several times and needed to be taken out with a ladder to the face. This match MADE Jaxson Ryker, and he wasn’t even a participant.
Everyone sold well, the athleticism was off the charts, the match was violent and exciting, everyone got a chance to shine, and we got a huge babyface victory at the end. NXT has set an EXTREMELY high bar with its ladder matches over the past few years, but this one somehow managed to top them all.

NXT NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH: The Velveteen Dream(c) vs. Tyler Breeze- 8/10
TVD had gloves on that he threw at Breeze before things got started. We’re running out of extremity-coverings to throw at this point. The only unused categories of extremity-coverings I can think of are a hat and a jock strap. Fortunately we’ve only got two matches left.
These two had an exciting athletic clash of personalities. The finish definitely felt like something of a heel turn for TVD, but nothing too extreme that he can’t easily jump back from it. One thing NXT has done with both him and to a lesser extent Aleister Black that they don’t seem to get credit for is created characters who function wonderfully and naturally as tweeners, which is not an easy thing to do. The finish seemed like it should have pointed to a rematch, but the post-match show of respect indicates that that really shouldn’t happen.

DAMIAN PRIEST IS COMING- not sure who this is

NXT WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Shayna Baszler(c) vs. Io Shirai- 7.75/10
Baszler worked over Io’s arm, and the story of the match was the way this affected Io’s offense throughout. WE HAD ORIGINALLY BEEN SHOWN Shayna leaving the Horsewomen in the back, but they came out to ringside when she was in trouble, only to be immediately taken out by Candice LeRae with a Kendo stick. Unfortunately, Io distracted herself by cheering Candice on rather than following up on her advantage, and Baszler was able to win via ref stoppage with the Kiramuta Clutch.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Io went nuts on Baszler with a Kendo stick after the match, finishing it with a Moonsault with a chair. I have to agree with Nigel McGuinness that Io came across like a poor sport here, as she wasn’t really cheated in any way.

They announced the next NXT UK TakeOver for Cardiff on August 31st. And before anyone says they’re trying to hurt AEW by doing this, keep in mind that the show is airing live and taking place in Wales. It will be over well before All Out starts.

NXT TITLE MATCH: Johnny Gargano(c) vs. Adam Cole- a PERFECT 10/10!
Holy f*ck this was even better than the ladder match! Excellent selling, top-notch storytelling on several different story threads (Cole’s arm, Gargano’s knee, Gargano’s head, and Cole trying to recreate his victory in the first fall of the previous TakeOver by going for the Last Shot), and outstanding false finishes all combing to create some unbelievable drama. Gargano did get a visual pinfall after a ref bump so we’ll be getting at least one more of these, which will undoubtedly be amazing, just like this one.
Gargano losing yet another title in his first defense should have a rather interesting effect on him, and builds some cache for a story that can be paid off whenever they need. Cole being the only member of Undisputed Era win his match tonight will surely create some friction, especially between him and Roddy.

Another typically epic TakeOver. That opening montage gave this show a lot to live up to, but holy sh*t did it succeed. Although we had things like the Zayn vs. Cesaro matches that stood out before, and the booking was always solid and gave us a lot of fun, likeable characters, the first TakeOver, with Nattie vs. Charlotte, Neville vs. Kidd, and Zayn vs. Breeze (and the way it showed up the main roster PPV later in the week), is often seen as the big break-out point for NXT. Just over five years later, NXT has constantly been able to keep up that crazy level of quality. In twenty-five of these shows, I can’t remember a single one that wasn’t great.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: XXV (SHOW OF THE YEAR CANDIDATE!)

Post by cero2k » Jun 2nd, '19, 11:39

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 2nd, '19, 10:46
punishment martinez

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 2nd, '19, 11:43

cero2k wrote: Jun 2nd, '19, 11:39
punishment martinez
Ah.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 2nd, '19, 13:00

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 2nd, '19, 11:43
punishment martinez
Ah.
He's already debuted under that other name though...whatever I guess lol.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 2nd, '19, 13:06

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 2nd, '19, 13:00

punishment martinez
Ah.
Maybe it's his kayfabe identical twin.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 2nd, '19, 13:14

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 2nd, '19, 13:06
KILLdozer wrote: Jun 2nd, '19, 13:00

Ah.
Maybe it's his kayfabe identical twin.
Or alter-ego...kind of like Black Reign...

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jun 3rd, '19, 17:42

I’m glad you liked this show as much as I did. Especially the main event, even if my man Gargano lost the title :P

This was super good and a perfect example of how much better NXT is than the main roster. Look at Tyler Breeze. What was he doing on the main roster? Nothing. Bring him down to NXT and he tears it up.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 3rd, '19, 20:50

This seemed like it was gonna end up being the perfect time to end up putting the title on someone else...but...lost because she was distracted by someone who came to assist her?

What a way to lose lol.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 3rd, '19, 21:48

Just getting around to this. I don't like watching this dopehead Riddle because of his no shoes and socks bullshit...

"Oh that's just nasty..."

I get the look but it's not UFC and shouldn't be dressed like it...It's really just poor fighting preparation.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 3rd, '19, 21:48

Plus he has NO pads, no wrist bands...no nothing, except trunks...which makes it all look even more absurd.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 3rd, '19, 22:13

Hate Burch and Lorcan. Two generic skinny bald white dudes with ridiculous entrance music. They have no promos either...ever...it seems lol.

Not much for them to get by on other than "oh they're gonna brawl with everyone like crazy!"...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 4th, '19, 08:37

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 3rd, '19, 20:50 This seemed like it was gonna end up being the perfect time to end up putting the title on someone else...but...lost because she was distracted by someone who came to assist her?

What a way to lose lol.
I think Candice or Bianca are better choices to take the belt off of Baszler. Doesn't have much of a character other than just being Kairi's friend who is also from Japan, so having her as champion wouldn't feel much different. Bianca is a great personality and is turning into a great in-ring performer as well, while Candice is one of the best babyfaces on the planet and someone who needs something to help define her tenure in NXT as being more than just Gargano's girlfriend.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 4th, '19, 09:08

KILLdozer wrote: Jun 3rd, '19, 22:13 Hate Burch and Lorcan. Two generic skinny bald white dudes with ridiculous entrance music. They have no promos either...ever...it seems lol.

Not much for them to get by on other than "oh they're gonna brawl with everyone like crazy!"...
They're one promo away from being The Revival. Just sayin'...

I was surprised they didn't get a bit of an identity last year(?) when they were getting title shots.
KILLdozer wrote: Jun 3rd, '19, 21:48 Just getting around to this. I don't like watching this dopehead Riddle because of his no shoes and socks bullshit...

I get the look but it's not UFC and shouldn't be dressed like it...It's really just poor fighting preparation.
For me, as stupid as it sounds, depends on what trunks he's wearing if I can get past his look or not. The white ones look like he's out there in his underwear... which I'd argue is GREAT fight preparation, as NOTHING is more intimidating than your dad stomping into the kitchen at 2am in his tighty whities wondering where the fuck you were at - but is really uncomfortable to watch as a fan. The darker trunks make his "look" far less awkward, but I can't ever see Vince letting Matt Riddle on either one of his Flagships as-is.

If I'm watching from Vince's point of view (doesn't watch), I'm going to see a guy that's"
-UFC Inspired and an absolute FREAK in the ring
-over with the fans, comes with a chant
-going to look stupid standing across the ring from literally anyone else on the main roster.
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 08:37 Doesn't have much of a character other than just being Kairi's friend who is also from Japan
Not "also from Japan", she was put over several times as "accomplishing everything in Japan", and she carries herself like that. Walking in the door she felt like a bigger star than Kairi, and this match would have felt natural going either way. Having already bullied/beaten Candice and Bianca, I think I'd rather see whoever dethrones Baszler do it on their first try... somebody like Io or Mia would be perfect. Loved it, love them, but I really don't want to sit through another Gargano/Bayley/Zayn "I'VE WORKED SO HARD FOR THIS AND CAME THIIIIIIIIS CLOSE, JUST GIVE ME TWO OR THREE MORE SHOTS..." with Candice and ESPECIALLY Bianca. Way more for getting the belt off of Baszler and letting these two challengers have a shot at a different champion.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 4th, '19, 09:50

Bob-O wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 09:08
KILLdozer wrote: Jun 3rd, '19, 22:13 Hate Burch and Lorcan. Two generic skinny bald white dudes with ridiculous entrance music. They have no promos either...ever...it seems lol.

I was surprised they didn't get a bit of an identity last year(?) when they were getting title shots.
KILLdozer wrote: Jun 3rd, '19, 21:48 Just getting around to this. I don't like watching this dopehead Riddle because of his no shoes and socks bullshit...

For me, as stupid as it sounds, depends on what trunks he's wearing if I can get past his look or not. The white ones look like he's out there in his underwear... which I'd argue is GREAT fight preparation, as NOTHING is more intimidating than your dad stomping into the kitchen at 2am in his tighty whities wondering where the fuck you were at - but is really uncomfortable to watch as a fan. The darker trunks make his "look" far less awkward, but I can't ever see Vince letting Matt Riddle on either one of his Flagships as-is.

If I'm watching from Vince's point of view (doesn't watch), I'm going to see a guy that's"
-UFC Inspired and an absolute FREAK in the ring
-over with the fans, comes with a chant
-going to look stupid standing across the ring from literally anyone else on the main roster.
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 08:37 Doesn't have much of a character other than just being Kairi's friend who is also from Japan
Not "also from Japan", she was put over several times as "accomplishing everything in Japan", and she carries herself like that. Walking in the door she felt like a bigger star than Kairi, and this match would have felt natural going either way. Having already bullied/beaten Candice and Bianca, I think I'd rather see whoever dethrones Baszler do it on their first try... somebody like Io or Mia would be perfect. Loved it, love them, but I really don't want to sit through another Gargano/Bayley/Zayn "I'VE WORKED SO HARD FOR THIS AND CAME THIIIIIIIIS CLOSE, JUST GIVE ME TWO OR THREE MORE SHOTS..." with Candice and ESPECIALLY Bianca. Way more for getting the belt off of Baszler and letting these two challengers have a shot at a different champion.
I'm not really into Belair. She can be quiet annoying lol.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 4th, '19, 10:56

Their gimmick is rough-and-tumble no-nonsense veterans. They're nothing like The Revival.
"Accomplished everything she could in Japan" is, to me, a meaningless phrase within the context of WWE because they never tell you what any of that stuff is. They could say it about anyone. And I totally disagree with her feeling like a bigger star than Kairi the moment she walked in the door.

I'm also not sure why you think Candice has been overexposed as a challenger. She has wrestled Shayna a grand total of once on NXT TV, in a non-tittle match last summer. As for Bianca, I don't think Shayna has actually beaten her cleanly yet.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 4th, '19, 11:33

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 10:56

Their gimmick is rough-and-tumble no-nonsense veterans. They're nothing like The Revival.
"Accomplished everything she could in Japan" is, to me, a meaningless phrase within the context of WWE because they never tell you what any of that stuff is. They could say it about anyone. And I totally disagree with her feeling like a bigger star than Kairi the moment she walked in the door.

I'm also not sure why you think Candice has been overexposed as a challenger. She has wrestled Shayna a grand total of once on NXT TV, in a non-tittle match last summer. As for Bianca, I don't think Shayna has actually beaten her cleanly yet.
I definitely agree with the assertion that someone at this point, should just win the title immediately the first try, because at this point, agreeance again, enough of the "time after time and try again and again", title matches. We've seen great matches every time...don't get me wrong. This simply felt like it was the time for Io Shirai to win it after that entire story...her just completely losing it after the match makes sense though with that said.

Big surprise personally though that we didn't see the belt change hands.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 4th, '19, 11:37

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 10:56

That's The Revival lol.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jun 4th, '19, 15:40

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 10:56 Their gimmick is rough-and-tumble no-nonsense veterans. They're nothing like The Revival.
What's the Revival's gimmick then? I get rough-and-tumble no-nonsense (until recently) new comers. They're not that different. If Burch and Lorcan grabbed a mic one week and cut a promo on Tag Team wrestling, they'd be The Revival...
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 10:56 Accomplished everything she could in Japan" is, to me, a meaningless phrase within the context of WWE because they never tell you what any of that stuff is. They could say it about anyone.
...and they have. They said it about Asuke and Nakamura... but DIDN'T about Kairi - with Kairi it was all Mae Young blah blah blah and she jobbed to the stars. Maybe because Io is bigger/taller? Maybe because she carries herself more like a star? I can't put my finger on it, but I knew as much about Io as I knew about Kairi when they came into NXT, and with Io I wondered how long it'd be before she saved the roster from that tyrant Baszler, with Kairi I wondered if she was the only woman with a crazy gimmick because they didn't want us to confuse her with Asuke.
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 10:56 I'm also not sure why you think Candice has been overexposed as a challenger. She has wrestled Shayna a grand total of once on NXT TV, in a non-tittle match last summer. As for Bianca, I don't think Shayna has actually beaten her cleanly yet.
Candice hasn't been overexposed, but she got completely fed to Baszler in that short non-title 'thing' they did. She was dog chow for the b-... you know. I'd be down if (like you said) had her DO something credible. Bianca's a poor man's Sasha, and they both annoy me. I will look for, and find, any and all reasons for her to go away. Reason 1: She lost.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 4th, '19, 15:45

Bob-O wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 15:40
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 10:56 Their gimmick is rough-and-tumble no-nonsense veterans. They're nothing like The Revival.
What's the Revival's gimmick then? I get rough-and-tumble no-nonsense (until recently) new comers. They're not that different. If Burch and Lorcan grabbed a mic one week and cut a promo on Tag Team wrestling, they'd be The Revival...
The Revival are tag team specialists who are a dangerous unit. They're not "no-nonsense." They're "no frills," or the old Chris Candido "no gimmicks needed."
Bob-O wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 15:40
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 4th, '19, 10:56 Accomplished everything she could in Japan" is, to me, a meaningless phrase within the context of WWE because they never tell you what any of that stuff is. They could say it about anyone.
...and they have. They said it about Asuke and Nakamura... but DIDN'T about Kairi - with Kairi it was all Mae Young blah blah blah and she jobbed to the stars. Maybe because Io is bigger/taller? Maybe because she carries herself more like a star? I can't put my finger on it, but I knew as much about Io as I knew about Kairi when they came into NXT, and with Io I wondered how long it'd be before she saved the roster from that tyrant Baszler, with Kairi I wondered if she was the only woman with a crazy gimmick because they didn't want us to confuse her with Asuke.
I don't think they ever listed a bunch of titles that Asuka or Io won like they did with Nakamura and Guns & Gallows. But Kairi had the distinguishing features of her pirate gimmick and the big elbow-drop that they built up as being cool and special. It felt like more than just a top-rope finisher. Io's moonsault doesn't.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation