BRM Reviews the 7/30/2019 205 Live (awesome)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/30/2019 205 Live (awesome)

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 2nd, '19, 09:15

AKIRA TOZAWA & BRIAN KENDRICK vs. THE SINGH BROTHERS- 5.75/10
The babyfaces win when the heels’ attempt to cheat backfires. The heels did still walk out with their dumb fake award that the babyfaces stole from them, so I’m crossing my fingers and hoping for the slim chance that this means that this feud is over.

HUMBERTO CARRILLO VIDEO PACKAGE, PART 3- On the whole this was very good, but if I might pick a nit… when you have someone talking about the great “ground wrestlers” in the division, show some actual mat-work, not a guy throwing his opponent into the air!
The general gist here is that Carrillo is from a wrestling family, but none of them have ever won a championship in WWE, and he wants to be the first by winning the WWE Cruiserweight Title.

SARAH SCHREIBER INTERVIEWS LUCHA HOUSE PARTY- very good
Sarah asks if they’re proud of the clear Lucha Libre influence on 205 Live. Kalisto obviously says yes, and puts over not just Lucha House Party, but Humberto Carrillo and Raul Mendoza as well, talking about how great they are and what a great match they had last week. At this point Lincé Dorado interrupted and said that while “we wear out Lucha Libre,” Carrillo “just talks about it.” Commentary tried to frame Dorado as a “traditionalist” as opposed to Kalisto’s more open stance on Luchadors who are voluntarily not enmascarado, and that framing worked for me. Lucha House Party’s promo often have a slightly awkward feel to them, but even with that being present, this disagreement felt very human, and I’m happy to see a bit of dissension in this long-time group over a point that it makes perfect sense that they might have some internal disagreement about.

LINCÉ DORADO vs. ARIYA DAIVARI- 7/10
On commentary, Nigel pointed out that Lincé Dorado was not in the match where Lucha House Party lost to Carrillo & Mendoza, which does add a new dimension to this, and Nigel pushed the dissension angle in that direction a bit. I don’t think we have enough evidence (yet) to believe that that has anything to do with it, but it’s definitely the sort of thing a heel commentator would bring up. But then again, maybe Nigel is completely on the money. Lucha House Party are usually at ringside for each other’s matches, but Gran Metalik and Kalisto aren’t out here in support of Lincé Dorado tonight.
These two had a great match for the time they were given. I was rather surprised by how competitive it was. Not that I expected Daivari to be treated like a jobber or anything, but this seemed like the kind of spot where you’d give Lincé a more dominant win. The more I think about it, though, the more I like the less dominant win, as it tells us that perhaps Lincé was wrong to be so confident about being better than Humberto Carrillo.

DREW GULAK PROMO- good
No matter if he faces Mike Kanellis at SummerSlam or someone else, he’ll still win because he’s the best.

UNSANCTIONED MATCH IN WHICH IF MIKE KANELLIS WINS, HE EARNS A SHOT AT THE WWE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: Mike Kanellis vs. Drake Maverick- 8.25/10
Kanellis jumped Drake on his way to the ring. He snatched a “Maverick 24:7” sign out of a fan’s hand and rubbed it in Drake’s face, accusing him of “making a mockery of the brand.” It’s been said that some promoters try to live vicariously through their wrestlers, and at this moment, I don’t doubt that one bit. More evidence for this theory later on included Kanellis slamming Maverick’s head into the 205 Live logo on the commentary table and shouting “this is my brand! This is what I fought for! Do you see it? Are you looking now?” And a spot where Kanellis took some of the “WANTED” posters that Maverick made when R-Truth was the 24/7 Champion… that just happened to be lying around on the commentary table… and shoved into Drave’s mouth, shouting “you made a mockery of me!”
One side note: If you’re going to plant a fan for something like they did here, make sure your plant knows to react appropriately. This guy supposedly worked hard on this sign for his favorite wrestler, and not the heel snatched it out of his hands, rubbed it in his favorite wrestler’s face, and then tore it up… and this guy didn’t react at all!
Anyway, all of that stuff I talked about above was part of the story of Kanellis’ twisted mind and him wanting to take out all of his frustrations on Maverick and just keep abusing and abusing him. Maverick was an AWESOME babyface, the hope spots were placed perfectly for the slow pace of the match, they made every single spot mean something, and did a FANTASTIC job of telling their story of the bully with misplaced aggression taking it out on the smaller man with less training. Make sure to go out of your way to see this one.

Another awesome episode of 205 Live, with the Maverick vs. Kanellis match delivering to the level that its weeks of build have promised, as well as some good movement and good action on the undercard. I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face: 205 Live is the best weekly wrestling show going right now.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3