BRM Reviews the 7/31/2019 NXT (awesome)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 7/31/2019 NXT (awesome)

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 2nd, '19, 16:54

TYLER BREEZE vs. JACKSON RYKER (w/the Forgotten Sons)- 4/10
This was very good for the time it got, but I have to echo Dozer’s sentiments that Breeze is not the person I would have picked to give Ryker his first loss, and certainly not in this situation; on TV, with very little build, in a short match, and in a spot where either Blake or Cutler could have been inserted and you wouldn’t have had to change anything.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- mixed feelings
The Forgotten Sons beat down Breeze until Fandango returned to make the save. NXT has definitely earned my trust so I will give this a chance, but my immediate feelings upon seeing this were negative, as Fandango is essentially a second, less talented copy of Breeze’s gimmick, and it was hooking up with Fandango in the first place that turned Breeze into such goof that the only way to rehab him was to send him back down to NXT.

NXT BREAKOUT TOURNAMENT SEMIFINAL MATCH: Bronson Reed vs. Cameron Grimes- 6.25/10
Grimes wins a “big man vs. little man” match to advance to the finals.

MATT RIDDLE PROMO FROM EARLIER TODAY- He challenged Killian Dain to fight him face to face this time. We were then told that Regal has booked the match for next week.

WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH HYPE SEGMENT- FAN-F*CKING-TASTIC!
Baszler came out and cut a promo on Mia, explaining why she didn’t stand a chance. Mia came out to refute, Baszler hurled some insults, and then left. There was no violence here because there didn’t need to be. Both women believe in their hearts that they will emerge victorious at the PPV and thus they were happy to trade barbs and then wait for their officially sanctioned chance at vindication.

WILLIAM REGAL & CANDICE LERAE MEET IN THE PARKING LOT- good
We had earlier seen Candice waiting for Io Shirai to show up. Now we see Regal come up to her and tell her that he told Io not to show up tonight. Candice tells Regal that if she can’t get her hands on Io tonight, she wants a match with her at TakeOver: Toronto II, and Regal approves.

RODERICK STRONG vs. PETE DUNNE- 8.5/10
An awesome match which each guy working over the expected body part. Dunne got the submission victory via finger bending. Dunne needed to win here to justify Regal putting him in the title match at TakeOver.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
The Velveteen Dream tried to sneak up behind Dunne and hit him with the title but Dunne turned around in time. We wound up with TVD between Dunne and Roddy. Roddy cut a short promo on TVD, to which TVD responded by doing his pose… and then Dunne grabbed his hand, snapped his finger, and hit the Bitter End, turning the tables on the man who was planning to attack him from behind.

Despite my misgivings about some of the segments, this was an awesome episode of NXT, with a lot of great build to TakeOver and an awesome main event.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Re: BRM Reviews the 7/31/2019 NXT (awesome)

Post by Bob-O » Aug 3rd, '19, 05:45

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 2nd, '19, 16:54 POST-MATCH SEGMENT- mixed feelings
The Forgotten Sons beat down Breeze until Fandango returned to make the save. NXT has definitely earned my trust so I will give this a chance, but my immediate feelings upon seeing this were negative, as Fandango is essentially a second, less talented copy of Breeze’s gimmick, and it was hooking up with Fandango in the first place that turned Breeze into such goof that the only way to rehab him was to send him back down to NXT.
I'm intrigued. Let's remember that Fandango didn't turn into a second rate Tyler Breeze until he teamed with Tyler Breeze, he was a shitty ballroom dancer before that. He looked like a B.A. tonight, and even if they do go a goofy route, I look at guys like Velveteen Dream and figure they can make it work.