BRM Reviews the 8/14/2019 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 8/14/2019 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 18th, '19, 12:17

TYLER BREEZE & FANDANGO vs. THE FORGOTTEN SONS (w/Jaxson Ryker)- 6/10
The Fashion Police won a match that was amazingly good for five and a half minutes it was given. One thing that bugged me a bit, though, was Mauro’s simplistic framing of Cutler as someone who served some tours in Afghanistan and then went to “pursue a career in sports entertainment.” Even if you replace the hated “sports entertainment” with “professional wrestling,” this is still problematic, as it seems to leave out the defining piece of what little we know about the Forgotten Sons. If I remember from their video package a few months ago, the idea is that they are former military men who weren’t cut out for any walk of life but fighting, so despite their best efforts, they could fit back into society very well and thus the combat oriented and semi-lawless environment of WWE’s brand of pro wrestling is just about the only place they can fit in. Mauro’s comment makes them seem like everyone else, who we are always told has dreamed of bring a pro wrestler since childhood.
(BRM continuity note: On the surface level, this doesn’t quite mesh up with Wesley Blake’s past NXT history in that nothing ever seemed out of place about he guy during his Blake & Murphy run, but I am willing to believe that he is a lot better adjusted than the other two, and that he was the one who told them that WWE would be a good fit for them to make a living. Of course, per my standing policy, you don’t get storyline credit for things that you don’t actually make part of your storyline. I just love pointing out how things could be made to work with relatively little tweaking.

CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS PETE DUNNE- fine
He says he would have won at TakeOver if not for The Velveteen Dream stopping the referee from counting. He says he doesn’t begrudge Dream for “doing everything he had to do” to win, but vows that from now on, he will also be doing everything he has to do to win.

CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS BOBBY FISH & KYLE O’REILLY AFTER TAKEOVER- great
They’re claim that the illegal man got pinned in their match so they shouldn’t have lost. And Nigel McGuiness provides us with an alternative camera angle to back that claim up, and yet it’s completely understandable that the referee wouldn’t have seen the tag from his/her vantage point in the ring. Well done, NXT.

IO SHIRAI VIDEO PACKAGE- We were promised a closer look at the new Io, but what they gave us was just a music video from some sponsor song with footage of heel Io spliced in. As a wrestling music video it was great, but it definitely was not the look into her character that it was teased as.

SHAYNA BASZLER PROMO FROM AFTER TAKEOVER- awesome
Basically, Cathy Kelley asked her a question designed to get her to say something diplomatic about Mia Yim, but Baszler refused to play along and simply said “and still” and walked away. “And still” is such a perfect, simplistic catchphrase for a heel who can also win cleanly half the time. I think Baszler might wind up being my vote for best promos in 2019.

Killian Dain vs. Matt Riddle has been signed for next week.

NXT BREAKOUT TOURNAMENT FINALS: Cameron Grimes vs. Jordan Myles- 7.5/10
Good for the time it got, but I wish a match this big would have gotten more than just ten minutes.

This was a better post-TakeOver episode of NXT from an in-ring perspective, but it definitely did feel bogged down with way too much time in video packages. Can’t we have more fallout interviews instead of what felt like a ten-minute video package on the Cole vs. Gargano match?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/14/2019 NXT

Post by Bob-O » Aug 18th, '19, 13:35

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 18th, '19, 12:17 (BRM continuity note: On the surface level, this doesn’t quite mesh up with Wesley Blake’s past NXT history in that nothing ever seemed out of place about he guy during his Blake & Murphy run
I think it works just fine! The trippy entrance without any character development... we literally knew nothing about them, Alexa Bliss was their whole gimmick. Murphy was chosen to move on and succeed while Wesley was left behind because (continuity) he couldn't adjust to the WWE Structure of Life so he gave up on trying! It works!
Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 18th, '19, 12:17 NXT BREAKOUT TOURNAMENT FINALS: Cameron Grimes vs. Jordan Myles- 7.5/10
Good for the time it got, but I wish a match this big would have gotten more than just ten minutes.
I was good on it. A whole tournament designed to introduce these guys to the audience and I haven't connected with a single one of them... even ACH whom I've always quite enjoyed! None of the matches flowed, and I didn't feel like anyone stood out... much less "BROKE" out. Those that were in it that I've seen before I felt underperformed, whether they were told to or not, I'm glad it's over. It was a disappointment from the brand that almost never disappoints.

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews the 8/14/2019 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 18th, '19, 13:46

Bob-O wrote: Aug 18th, '19, 13:35
Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 18th, '19, 12:17 (BRM continuity note: On the surface level, this doesn’t quite mesh up with Wesley Blake’s past NXT history in that nothing ever seemed out of place about he guy during his Blake & Murphy run

I think it works just fine! The trippy entrance without any character development... we literally knew nothing about them, Alexa Bliss was their whole gimmick. Murphy was chosen to move on and succeed while Wesley was left behind because (continuity) he couldn't adjust to the WWE Structure of Life so he gave up on trying! It works!
That would work, too, although in that case I'd like to see them play these guys up as having more trouble adjusting to even WWE's relatively loose structure of life. Actually, I'd like to see them play that sort of thing up no matter how they try to fit Blake's past run into things.
Bob-O wrote: Aug 18th, '19, 13:35
Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 18th, '19, 12:17 NXT BREAKOUT TOURNAMENT FINALS: Cameron Grimes vs. Jordan Myles- 7.5/10
I was good on it. A whole tournament designed to introduce these guys to the audience and I haven't connected with a single one of them... even ACH whom I've always quite enjoyed! None of the matches flowed, and I didn't feel like anyone stood out... much less "BROKE" out. Those that were in it that I've seen before I felt underperformed, whether they were told to or not, I'm glad it's over. It was a disappointment from the brand that almost never disappoints.
Which is exactly why a blow-away tournament finals was needed.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3