BRM Reviews the 10/2/2019 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/2/2019 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 2nd, '19, 20:14

OPENING VIDEO PACKAGE- Yeah… I can’t imagine they ran this by Vince before airing it. They used the phrase “brand of combat” instead of the despised “sports entertainment.” Also, I’m certain that by the time this week is over, I will never want to see another fancy opening video package ever again.

NXT TITLE MATCH: Adam Cole(c) vs. Matt Riddle- 7.5/10
Cole has suffered a fractured wrist from last week’s altercation with Riddle. He has been cleared to compete, but will be allowed to wear a cast so we know what the finish is going to be.
Yup. Cole won after nailing Riddle with the cast. That was a fine way of sending Riddle back down to earn another title shot while not killing him off as a challenger because casts are hard and hitting someone with one isn’t very fair.
The match itself was spottier than I would have liked, but they did tell a thorough story with both guys working over the head.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- mixed feelings
Finn Balor showed up to tell Adam Cole that “Finn Balor is now NXT.” Cole backed down. This all got a huge pop. While on the one hand I really don’t want to see main roster stars show up on NXT to hot-shot against AEW (which is what this is), I can’t argue that a win over Balor is something that would really establish Cole as a big deal in the eyes of a new viewer. I’m fine with this, but I don’t want to see anyone else show up unless it’s part of some sort of demotion and redemption story.

WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH VIDEO PACKAGE- awesome

THE VELVETEEN DREAM EXPERIENCE- He is WAY too happy for his first appearance after getting screwed out of his prized NXT North American Title. The promo challenging Roddy to a rematch and daring him to stand on his own was good, but the whole setting just didn’t work for me.

CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE MATCH VIDEO PACKAGE- great!
The match is next week on NXT.

IO SHIRAI vs. MIA YIM- 7/10
Great stuff. Io won clean.

KEVIN NASH & SCOTT HALL ARE SHOWN IN THE FRONT ROW. That wasn’t a segment header. The all-caps was an expression of shock.

They showed Bianca Belair arriving with the Street Profits. Have they acknowledged Bianca and Montez’s marriage on the air before?

TEGAN NOX VIDEO PACKAGE- great!

JOHNNY GARGANO vs. SHANE THORNE- 7/10
They really dropped the ball on building this up. This should have at least gotten something last week. This put Gargano over while allowing Thorne to look strong in defeat. This was a step up for Thorne.

THE ROCK WILL BE ON SMACKDOWN- I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If he’s not showing up to do an angle that leads to a match, I don’t want to see him, and doubly so if he’s not going to be putting someone over.

NXT WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Shayna Baszler(c) vs. Candice LeRae- 7.25/10
A great babyface vs. heel match even though Baszler wrestled completely clean. She’s just that wonderfully unlikable.

MARK HENRY, ALUNDRA BLAYZE, & STEPHANIE MCMAHON ARE SHOWN IN THE CROWD- Yeah… this is starting to feel like a lame TakeOver.

WALTER VS. KUSHIDA IS HAPPENING NEXT WEEK!

PETE DUNNE vs. DANNY BURCH- 6.75/10
An excellent hard-hitting brawl. I’d love to see a rematch that gets ten more minutes.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Damian Priest attacked Dunne from behind and laid him out.

CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS ADAM COLE & UNDISPUTED ERA- good stuff
Cole points out that his cast is required by WWE medical staff, and says that he didn’t beat Riddle with the cast but rather with the last shot. There was talk about making sure their prophecy remained fulfilled. Someone want to check the other channel and make sure Christopher Daniels isn’t missing?

NXT TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Undisputed Era (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly)(c) vs. the Street Profits- 7.75/10
This was a great twenty minutes of tag team action with a hot crowd and some great babyface in peril stuff, but Roddy’s interference definitely should have been a DQ, and Dawkins pretty much forgot to sell his knee towards the end. Roddy, Bobby, and Kyle celebrate in the ring while Cole comes out onto the ramp and…

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- Okay… that was a good surprise.
Actually, maybe “good “isn’t the best word to use. It was a big surprise, but I refuse to call Tommaso Ciampa “good,” as I still firmly believe that he is pure evil and will turn on Johnny Gargano the moment it suits him.

This certainly wasn’t a bad show from NXT, but it feels rather disappointing despite the match quality. I think the problem is that rather than a big episode of NXT TV, this felt like a disappointing TakeOver. In their zeal to beat AEW, I think WWE may have raised their own bar higher than they could jump.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews the 10/2/2019 NXT

Post by cero2k » Oct 2nd, '19, 20:20

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 20:14
POST-MATCH SEGMENT- mixed feelings
Finn Balor showed up to tell Adam Cole that “Finn Balor is now NXT.” Cole backed down. This all got a huge pop. While on the one hand I really don’t want to see main roster stars show up on NXT to hot-shot against AEW (which is what this is), I can’t argue that a win over Balor is something that would really establish Cole as a big deal in the eyes of a new viewer. I’m fine with this, but I don’t want to see anyone else show up unless it’s part of some sort of demotion and redemption story.
dude said he's there to stay and has a tshirt out already, I think it's up in the air whether he takes the title or not if WWE feels the pressure. It's weird because it's not supposed to feel like a demotion in the eyes of WWE, but it totally does.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 3rd, '19, 13:36

Wow. FUCK Hulu. They skipped Io Shirai and Yim, and Gargano V Thorne so far.

And Lerae v Bazsler had some great near falls and false finishes but that was a 5 minute match, probably. Gtfoh. Plus she lost cleanly in no time at all. Finally gets her shot and that's what you do with it?

Again, gtfoh.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 3rd, '19, 22:57

I was surprised at how good Burch v Dunn was for the time it got tbh. For as excited as I was for Ciampa and as much as you guys know I lost my mind for Balor, that was kind of the stand out for me in the ring this week.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 4th, '19, 08:44

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 20:14 This all got a huge pop. While on the one hand I really don’t want to see main roster stars show up on NXT to hot-shot against AEW (which is what this is), I can’t argue that a win over Balor is something that would really establish Cole as a big deal in the eyes of a new viewer.
It's a long shot, but I wouldn't be surprised to see NXT get involved in the Draft for 2 or 3 more established guys. Cesaro, EC3, and maybe The Ascension...?

As for Balor, pretty clear he's there to be the poster child of the product - which squashes my hopes and dreams of him joining the OC as The Real Rock n Rolla'... but it'll be fun seeing how he manages the numbers game in a feud with Cole and Ciampa...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 4th, '19, 09:40

Bob-O wrote: Oct 4th, '19, 08:44
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 2nd, '19, 20:14 This all got a huge pop. While on the one hand I really don’t want to see main roster stars show up on NXT to hot-shot against AEW (which is what this is), I can’t argue that a win over Balor is something that would really establish Cole as a big deal in the eyes of a new viewer.
It's a long shot, but I wouldn't be surprised to see NXT get involved in the Draft for 2 or 3 more established guys. Cesaro, EC3, and maybe The Ascension...?

As for Balor, pretty clear he's there to be the poster child of the product - which squashes my hopes and dreams of him joining the OC as The Real Rock n Rolla'... but it'll be fun seeing how he manages the numbers game in a feud with Cole and Ciampa...
Isn't it obvious? You've got Undisputed Era v Balor, Ciampa, and street prophets.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 4th, '19, 09:53

KILLdozer wrote: Oct 4th, '19, 09:40
Bob-O wrote: Oct 4th, '19, 08:44

Isn't it obvious? You've got Undisputed Era v Balor, Ciampa, and street prophets.
Balor and Ciampa would implode though, both vying for a title shot.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Oct 4th, '19, 10:02

KILLdozer wrote: Oct 4th, '19, 09:40 Isn't it obvious? You've got Undisputed Era v Balor, Ciampa, and street prophets
You're not wrong, that's the obvious.

But you've got The Street Profits who've lost to ReDragon what, 2 or 3 times now. You've got Balor AND Ciampa who both appear (rightfully so) to be gunning for Cole and the NXT Championship, leaving Roddy and his NA Championship without a foil. Add Velveteen into the mix, sure, but I'm super intrigued at how this'll play out...

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 4th, '19, 10:10

Bob-O wrote: Oct 4th, '19, 10:02
KILLdozer wrote: Oct 4th, '19, 09:40 Isn't it obvious? You've got Undisputed Era v Balor, Ciampa, and street prophets
You're not wrong, that's the obvious.

But you've got The Street Profits who've lost to ReDragon what, 2 or 3 times now. You've got Balor AND Ciampa who both appear (rightfully so) to be gunning for Cole and the NXT Championship, leaving Roddy and his NA Championship without a foil. Add Velveteen into the mix, sure, but I'm super intrigued at how this'll play out...
Well you could argue the street prophets losing by interference means we'll be seeing another match. That Velveteen Dream, is just dang ol' weird man.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 4th, '19, 10:12

If not for AEW and all this hot-shotting, I wonder if y'all were really getting UE vs Bootleg Ringkampf for War Games as all the rumors brought up

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 4th, '19, 14:59

cero2k wrote: Oct 4th, '19, 10:12 If not for AEW and all this hot-shotting, I wonder if y'all were really getting UE vs Bootleg Ringkampf for War Games as all the rumors brought up
Maybe. It depends on in NXT to USA would have happened without AEW. SD is a big loss for USA, so getting a replacement would be something they'd be interested in even without the competition. I think if that match happens it has more to do with NXT expanding to 2 hours than it does AEW. If it had to do with AEW, it'd be on TV, not TakeOver.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 4th, '19, 15:27

I don't see UE being involved in War Games again this year, as not only does it put all of the men's titles on ice, but the babyface combinations feel a little too blunt. I see this year's War Games going to the UK brand, with Imperium vs. BSS & ?, or maybe even Moustache Mountain, ?, & ? vs. Imperium, with Dunne staying in the US.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation