BRM Reviews the 1/8/2020 NXT

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 1/8/2020 NXT

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 12th, '20, 01:11

OPENING SEGMENT- okay
Rhea Ripley came out to cut the big babyface “first promo after winning the title” but was quickly interrupted by Toni Storm. Toni probably could have found a less dickish way of pointing out that she has two wins over Rhea. Toni says that she is going to win back the NXT UK: Women’s Title this Sunday at TakeOver: Blackpool II, and then- if Rhea has the guts to accept, she will, become a double champion by winning the NXT Women’s Title from Rhea at Worlds Collide 2020.
Kay Lee Ray came out o cut a promo on Toni but was interrupted by Io Shirai, who said the NXT Women’s Title was hers. Bianca Belair then came out and cut a promo saying she was better than everyone else (and telling Toni Storm “you don’t even go here,” which got a big pop). The next woman out was Candice LeRae, who Rhea cut off before she could even start speaking. Rhea threw a sucker-punch at Bianca to kick off a brawl, which ended with the babyfaces quickly clearing the ring. A referee came out and told ring announcer Alicia Taylor that William Regal has ordered that we now have…

TONI STORM, RHEA RIPLEY, & CANDICE LEARE vs. BIANCA BELAIR, IO SHIRAI, & KAY LEE RAY- 6.75/10
Babyfaces win a solid tag team opener when Belair and Shirai can’t get along. There were some shenanigans between the babyfaces after the match with the title belt but Candice eventually gave it back to Rhea.

TOMMASO CIAMPA VIDEO PACKAGE- good

KEITH LEE PROMO- good

DUSTY RHODES TAG TEAM CLASSIC QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Imperium (Marcel Barthel & Fabian Aichner) vs. the Forgotten Sons (w/Jaxson Ryker)- 6.75/10
Imperium got to cut an in-set promo before the match while the Forgotten Sons did not. No points for guessing who won. At least the action was good.

CATHY KELLEY INTERVIEWS MATT RIDDLE- good
She asks him how his team with Pete Dunne came about. The answer is that Riddle just asked. Riddle managed to make this very entertaining.

JOAQUIN WILDE vs. AUSTIN THEORY- 2.5/10
GREAT for the three minutes it got.

DAMIAN PRIEST PROMO- I LOVED the presentation here, but HATED the actual verbiage. This “my name will live in infamy” crap needs to stop. I was fine with it at first, but the way they shoe-horned it and some of his other attempted catchphrases into this was absolutely atrocious. The presentation- he’s in a locker room with his groupies, because he’s a rock star- was great.

DUSTY RHODES TAG TEAM CLASSIC QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Gallus (Mark Coffey & Wolfgang) vs. Undisputed Era (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly) (w/Adam Cole & Roderick Strong)- 6.5/10
Mauro and Nigel making puns on Coffey’s last name in a serious manner was probably the single worst thing either of them has ever done on commentary. Undisputed Era win a disappointingly short match via interference to protect Gallus in defeat.

JOHNNY GARGANO PROMO- AWESOME!
He cut an awesome promo on Finn Balor in which he revealed that he turned down a call-up to the main roster because “unlike you, when I say I love this place, I really mean it.” Balor came out and cut a promo in response.

CAMERON GRIMES… PROMO?- good
I don’t know if this was him cutting a promo but not looking at the camera or if this was them putting a camera on him while he psyched himself up, but either way it was good.

GRIZZLED YOUNG VETERANS VIDEO PACKAGE- good
Also, there was one of these earlier for “Flash” Morgan Webster & Mark Andrews but I forgot to write it down. It was fine.

KUSHIDA’S TAG TEAM PARTNER WILL BE ALEX SHELLEY- hooray for Time Splitters!

MIA YIM vs. KAYDEN CARTER- 4/10
A good little match for the time it got. Did anyone else’s TV freak out and glitch backwards right before the finish?

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Their post-match display of respect was interrupted by a cowardly assault from behind by Chelsea Green. Chelsea headed back to the ramp where her new manager, Robert Stone, cut a promo. Robert Stone is Rob Eckos/Robbie E. Why is he getting TV time when Stokely Hathaway is in their system and is not getting TV time?

DOMINIK DIJAKOVIC PROMO- good

TOMMASO CIAMPA VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- awesome!
He’s coming from Goldie! Ciampa vs. Cole will be fantastic.

They announced a battle royale for the NXT Women’s Title shot at TakeOver: Portland on next week’s show.

FATAL FOUR-WAY MATCH FOR A SHOT AT THE NXT NORTH AMERICAN TITLE: Keith Lee vs. Damian Priest vs. Dominic Dijakovic vs. Cameron Grimes- 8/10
A very choreographed but still awesome four-way.

A great episode of NXT, with good little undercard matches, some storyline advancement, some awesome promos, and an awesome main event.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3