BRM Reviews the 2/13/2020 NXT UK (worst ever?)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/13/2020 NXT UK (worst ever?)

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 17th, '20, 21:49

AOIFE VALKYRIE vs. AMALE- -.025/10
Aoife Valkyrie is Valkyrie from wXw and several other promotions in Europe. They have given her this goofy fathered armor and ar having her do these goofy hand motions to try to make her a Superstar™ instead of just letting her be her affable babyface self. It looks really bad.
This match was also bad. The unnaturally dramatic way they’re having Valkyrie move around is part of it (it works for people like Cara Noir and Ilja Dragunov, but that doesn’t mean it works for everyone), but a lot of it was just their timing, which was not on the same page. Their striking was also not good, as it looked a second too slow to be believable (I place the blame for this on Amale, as this is a rather common problem in her matches in wXw). I REALLY like Valkyrie, but this was a TERRIBLE debut for her, and I think airing it at all was a mistake.

RADZIE INTERVIEWS TRAVIS BANKS- Radzie asks him a dumb question about Worlds Collide. Banks was saved from having to give a dumb answer by Alexander Wolfe showing up and putting over Imperium while criticizing Banks for letting their brand down. Banks asked him “what’s it like riding WALTER’s coattails?” to which Wolfe replied by telling Banks to watch his step.

DAVE MASTIFF vs. SAXTON HUXLEY- squash

TONI STORM GOES TO THE GM’S OFFICE TO ACCEPT KAY LEE RAY’S CHALLENGE- Toni was good here. Sid Scala was an annoying twerp who kept trying to tell her sh*t that she clearly already knew.

GRIZZLED YOUNG VETERANS PROMO- boring!
Zack Gibson talked for six straight minutes. He had a point, but by the time he was done droning on, I had completely forgotten what his point was.

RADZIE’S PLUG OF MERCH IS INTERRUPTED BY JOSEPH CONNORS- He’s annoyed that he’s not in the program. His “I’m an original but don’t get respect for it” gimmick has dragged on for SOOOO long without him actually feel like he’s going anywhere that I no longer care. He says he’ll beat Tyler Bate in their match next week.

AMIR JORDAN vs. JOE COFFEY (w/Gallus)- 0.5/10
This went way too long for how one-sided it was.

JOE COFFEY PROMO- fine
He threatens Ilja Dragunov, then cuts a promo to hype up…

DANNY BURCH & ONEY LORCAN vs. GALLUS (Mark Coffey & Wolfgang) (w/Joe Coffey)- 6.75/10
Gallus won a solid match, but not something that was good enough to pass as a main event.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- bad
Ilja Dragunov comes out to fight Coffey. Ilja get knocked down by Coffey while the fight was still fair. Only after Coffey has knocked him down one-on-one do the nother two jump in and Ilja gets a butt-kicking. This made Ilja look pretty bad.

A TERRIBLE episode of NXT. Absolutely wretched. Probably the worst one in the year and a half of the show’s history.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3