BRM Reviews the 2/27/2020 NXT UK

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/27/2020 NXT UK

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 29th, '20, 17:42

GRIZZLED YOUNG VETERANS vs. THE HUNT- 6/10

JACK STARZ vs. KASSIUS OHNO- 3/10
They really need to actually go somewhere with Ohno soon.

RADZIE INTERVIEWS ISLA DAWN- okay
Isla was total babyface, putting over everyone, but saying that she is most interested by Aoife Valkyrie, who she wrestled next week.

TRAVIS BANKS PROMO- He wants a match with Alexander Wolfe because Wolfe cut a promo on him recently.

A-KID vs. BRIAN KENDRICK- 4.5/10
A solid couple of minutes to get A-Kid a win over veteran.

DAVE MASTIFF VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- good stuff to build to his NXT Title shot next week.

LAST CHANCE I QUIT MATCH FOR THE NXT UK WOMEN’S TITLE: Kay Lee Ray(c) vs. Toni Storm- 7.75/10
The loudest the crowd got in the early going was when they were chanting for f*cking tables. This sh*t needs to stop. If you are at a wrestling show and someone starts chanting “WE WANT TABLES!” please kindly explain to him or her to knock that sh*t off and react to the story the wrestlers are telling rather than dictating to the wrestlers to take stunt-bumps for their entertainment.
The match was great, vicious, stuff, and I thought they did a very good job of coming up with a brutal enough finish for the fifteen minutes they got. It’s rare to see a babyface quit, and even more rare when it feels like a relief, but that’s what the case was here, because I definitely got the sense that Toni Storm might have actually rather died than quit, and Piper Niven was able to talk her into doing so, because a second Pillmanizer on the neck from the top rope should pretty much be a death spot.
In fact, the more I think about this finish, the more I think about this finish, the more I like it, as you can still get to the heel Toni Storm feuding with Piper Niven that this should eventually lead to, but instead of it just being Toni turning heel because she’s frustrated by what she ultimately knows in her heart was her own weakness, now she can beat whatever her kayfabe projected recovery time is and thus wind up thinking to herself that she actually could have kept going and thus blame Piper Niven for talking her into quitting, giving us a heel Toni who is truly convinced that her failing was not her own.

This was a good episode of NXT UK. I was hoping for more out of the main event, imply because of how much it had been built up, but it was still more than serviceable due to the finish working so well. Everything else was fine building-block segments or direct hype for a big match next week.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3