BRM Reviews the 3/19/2020 NXT UK (bad)

Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 3/19/2020 NXT UK (bad)

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 22nd, '20, 19:09

KAY LEE RAY vs. DANI LUNA- 3/10
Luna used her power to throw the champ around for a bit but Kay Lee Ray managed to hit her finisher and get the win.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Kay Lee Ray attacked Dani Luna for no real reason other than to be a jerk. Piper Niven ran out to make the save, so Kay lee Ray ran away.

FOOTAGE OF FINN BALOR AFTER LAST WEEK’S MAIN EVENT- bad
He is walking with his gear through the backstage area. He tells the camera “WALTER, message sent: I work Wednesdays.” Well that’s kind of douchy, isn’t it? Shouldn’t he be happy and proud to come to NXT UK?
He walks past several people, having brief stare-downs with the authority figures and Trent Seven, before stopping to have a much longer one with Tyler Bate. Someone tells him that his car is ready, so he leaves.

TYLER BATE ASKS THE AUTHORITY FIGURES FOR A MATCH WITH FINN BALOR- meh
He, too, apparently thinks Finn has been acting like a douche. They tell him they hope they’ll be able to make the match at some point. For now, though, they can tell him that in two weeks, he’ll be one of the competitors in a 20-man battle royale to determine the #1 contender at TakeOver: Dublin.
Once again, we had no reason for the camera to be there. I really hope that hasn’t become the new normal.

NINA SAMUELS PROMO- good
See… now this I don’t mind being a multi-camera shoot because I can totally believe that the established Nina Samuels character would demand all of these cameras be set up so she could shoot her promo while getting her makeup done, and would then look at all of the footage have it cut from camera to camera as she wants.
The actual content of her promo was being annoyed that Aoife Valkyrie has been getting so much buzz lately. She doesn’t like Aoife stealing her spotlight.

JOSEPH CONNERS vs. RIDGE HOLLAND- 6/10
This was surprisingly good. Conners took out Holland’s knee, so not only do we have that story for this match, but also the more big-picture story for Holland of how does he handle adversity, as I believe this was the first time that he has seemed like he was in any real trouble.

SOMEONE HAS ATTACKED MARK ANDREWS BACKSTAGE AND TAKEN OUT HIS KNEE- meh
Various wrestlers walked by, some tended to him, some just rubbernecked. Eventually Gallus showed up and Mastiff accused them of the attack. They denied it, but said they still wanted to fight tonight. This was fine, I guess, but I have found it very hard to give a sh*t about either Gallus or Dave Mastiff recently. My big takeaway from this segment, though, was how many of these dudes have those big, bushy hipster beards. Of the nine men we saw, six of them had them, plus Andrews has the bush beard that isn’t quite as big.

KASSIUS OHNO vs. KENNY WILLIAMS- 4.75/10
Good for the time it got. Ohno wins clean.

A-KID’S INTERVIEW IS INTERRUPTED BY NOAM DAR- great!
Dar is an excellent douchebag. A-Kid challenged him to a match next week, and Dar accepted in the most dickheaded way possible.

JORDAN DEVLIN VS. TRAVIS BANKS VIDEO PACKAGE- GREAT!

GALLUS vs. DAVE MASTIFF, “FLASH” MORGAN WEBSTER, & TRENT SEVEN- 6/10
Trent Seven was the babyfaces’ replacement mystery partner. Trent Seven at this point feels like the kind of upper-midcard veteran babyface who fits this role perfectly on paper, but simply because of that he kind of feels like a slight disappointment as a replacement.
Yet another sub-ten minute main event. Gallus got the win with Webster getting pinned.

This was a bad episode of NXT UK. The matches were fine for the time they got, but other than Conners vs. Holland, they didn’t feel like they did much of anything effective with their time. There were some good promos to set things up for the future and I guess we now have a mystery of “who attacked Mark Andrews,” but this show feels relatively directionless right now with Finn Balor essentially telling us that his feud with WALTER is now only happening on non-UK NXT and not much else ready to step up in it’s spot. This was definitely one of the better “bad” episodes of a wrestling show, but it still felt like a show that deserves the label of "bad" instead of a potential more generous "disappointing" or even "meh."
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3