BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: In Your House

Post Reply
User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25024
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: In Your House

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 8th, '20, 00:16

NXT TakeOver: In Your House (6/7/2020)- Orlando, FL

SHOTZI BLACKHEART, TEGAN NOX, & MIA YIM vs. DAKOTA KAI, RAQUEL GONZALEZ, & CANDICE LERAE- 5.75/10
They did stuff. There was a heat segment on Shotzi. There was a spot where they botched a pin break-up because I think the referee was in Mia Yim’s way. Mia and Candice brawled away right after that spot. Eventually Kai accidentally hit Gonzalez with a kick, allowing the Tegan to pin Dakota with the Shiniest Wizard.

DAMIAN PRIEST vs. FINN BALOR- 7.75/10
Very enjoyable. Great stuff. Not much else to say about it other than bringing up Priest taking that nutsy bump onto the steps.

NXT NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH: Keith Lee(c) vs. Johnny Gargano- 8.25/10
They had an awesome match built around the nefarious things that Gargano did to Lee during the go-home segment. The only negatives were the two times that they went on the outside and stayed there for WAY too long before the count-out started. These two are REALLY f*cking great, and the spot where Mia and Candice got involved has me happy that it looks like this feud will continue.

LAST CHANCE BACKLOT BRAWL FOR THE NXT TITLE: Adam Cole(c) vs. The Velveteen Dream- 6.75/10
Cole showed up in a custom-made Undisputed Era monster truck. TVD showed up in a Lamborghini. I was very disappointed that it wasn’t purple.
They’re surrounded by cars, but there’s also a ring. Basically, what I’m saying is that it’s nothing like the famous Roddy Piper vs. Goldust Backlot Brawl, which begs the question of why they called it a Backlot Brawl if it wasn’t going to resemble the previous one.
The Uber spot was dumb, but other than that, I thought this was fine (though the person who volunteered their car for this match and didn't lock it is a moron). Lumis hiding under the ring was what it was. I can buy that he hid there all day because he's a crazy person. It’s probably my favorite of the “cinematic matches” we’ve seen during the COVID lockdown so far, but I still would have rather seen a regular match. Hopefully Dexter Lumis will release Bobby Fish and Roderick Strong from the trunk of his car when he learns the match is over, and won’t murder them.

TOMMASO CIAMPA vs. KARRION KROSS (w/Scarlett)- 7.5/10
This did an excellent job of accomplishing its goal, which was to get Kross over as someone who is truly dangerous to main eventers. They laid this match out perfectly or that purpose, letting Kross dominate while giving Ciampa enough to feel like he wasn’t being squashed. The first few minutes of this in particular are must-watch for everyone. The stuff Kross was doing at the beginning of this match is how to do those Tomohiro Ishii no-selling spots right.

NXT WOMEN’S TITLE MATCH: Charlotte Flair(c) vs. Rhea Ripley vs. Io Shirai- 8.5/10
This was an AWESOME three-way match built around the usual three-way story. The finish definitely caught me by surprise, and I really hope it doesn’t mean that Charlotte’s NXT run is coming to an end because she has been so damn great on this little excursion.


This was a great show from NXT, but certainly not close to the usual level for TakeOvers. It was definitely worth the two hours and twenty minutes I spend watching it, so I’d recommend it to everyone just for that.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1313
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38

Re: BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: In Your House

Post by XIV » Jun 8th, '20, 12:30

Considering Charlotte has a Raw title shot tonight tells me her NXT stint is done.
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1313
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38

Re: BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: In Your House

Post by XIV » Jun 8th, '20, 12:31

I enjoy Killer Kross (and especially Scarlett Bordeaux). He’s great. He needs to go through a couple more and then focus on Adam Cole, get the NXT title. Dominate. Move on to Main Roster.
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25024
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: In Your House

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 8th, '20, 14:05

XIV wrote:
Jun 8th, '20, 12:30
Considering Charlotte has a Raw title shot tonight tells me her NXT stint is done.
They've been building Charlotte vs. Asuka up, but they had enough other things going on that I was hoping they'd hold off on it. With some hindsight, this booking hasn't been very good for Rhea. She needed to beat Charlotte to get the belt back. It's possible that the plan is to call her up and have her beat Charlotte for the Raw belt, though. That could work. Then maybe move one of Raw's workers over to SD.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1313
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38

Re: BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: In Your House

Post by XIV » Jun 9th, '20, 05:27

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 8th, '20, 14:05
XIV wrote:
Jun 8th, '20, 12:30
Considering Charlotte has a Raw title shot tonight tells me her NXT stint is done.
They've been building Charlotte vs. Asuka up, but they had enough other things going on that I was hoping they'd hold off on it. With some hindsight, this booking hasn't been very good for Rhea. She needed to beat Charlotte to get the belt back. It's possible that the plan is to call her up and have her beat Charlotte for the Raw belt, though. That could work. Then maybe move one of Raw's workers over to SD.
This has hurt Rhea a little bit. She did need the win over Charlotte. I'm hoping she turns up on Smackdown now and gets in Bayley's business. They've hurt her with Charlotte and need to rebuild her away from that. She's a great Tweener, I can imagine she'd work well with the IIconics, but because Bayley is heel, she'd also work the other way with her just being a bad ass who defeats Bayley and takes that title. Holding it for a while to build her up until Wrestlemania next year, where we could then see her win the Royal Rumble, choose to face Charlotte and finally get over by beating her 1,2,3 in the middle of the ring.
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
Big Red Machine
Posts: 25024
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 15:12

Re: BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: In Your House

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 9th, '20, 08:52

Rhea is someone who needs to be established by holding her title for a while. If she is called up soon and wins the belt by Summer Slam, dropping it before the Rumble so that she can be in the Rumble would be too early. Leaving her down in NXT also creates problems because I think she needs the win on Charlotte relatively soon to not make it something of a reverse Ember Moon/Asuka situation. She needed to win the title back from Charlotte.

The other alternative would be to leave her down in NXT and do a losing streak angle, but I think that would hurt her, and also makes calling her up problematic because she'll need a big symbolic win to get her over the hump, but you can't give her the belt and won't have Charlotte to beat, either.


I'm not opposed to running Charlotte vs. Rhea back at Mania, but I'd do it by having Rhea beat Charlotte for a belt at Summer Slam, find a way to keep them apart for a long time, and then have the Mania match be booked to be the rubber match rather having the Royal Rumble generate the same match two years in a row.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Northern Gate
CHIKARA Hot Off the Griddle

User avatar
XIV
Posts: 1313
Joined: Aug 19th, '13, 11:38

Re: BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: In Your House

Post by XIV » Jun 9th, '20, 09:46

Big Red Machine wrote:
Jun 9th, '20, 08:52
Rhea is someone who needs to be established by holding her title for a while. If she is called up soon and wins the belt by Summer Slam, dropping it before the Rumble so that she can be in the Rumble would be too early. Leaving her down in NXT also creates problems because I think she needs the win on Charlotte relatively soon to not make it something of a reverse Ember Moon/Asuka situation. She needed to win the title back from Charlotte.

The other alternative would be to leave her down in NXT and do a losing streak angle, but I think that would hurt her, and also makes calling her up problematic because she'll need a big symbolic win to get her over the hump, but you can't give her the belt and won't have Charlotte to beat, either.


I'm not opposed to running Charlotte vs. Rhea back at Mania, but I'd do it by having Rhea beat Charlotte for a belt at Summer Slam, find a way to keep them apart for a long time, and then have the Mania match be booked to be the rubber match rather having the Royal Rumble generate the same match two years in a row.
I don't know where the plans are at, Charlotte vs Asuka is now a shrt thing because they've gone straight into plugging Nia Jax vs Asuka... I don't want Nia Jax to be employed in a wrestling company, let alone be the champion.

Who know what's next for Rhea.
Have A Nice Day!

User avatar
KILLdozer
Posts: 5891
Joined: Dec 16th, '10, 22:54

Re: BRM Reviews NXT TakeOver: In Your House

Post by KILLdozer » Jun 9th, '20, 11:59

Doesn't WWE logic mean since people REALLY don't wanna see Nia Jaxxx as champion mean she ABSOLUTELY will be?🤔🤯
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests